Contradiction in Matthew?

Note: this is the "Easy to read" translation off of Bible Gateway. I have a question. Jesus seems to make two separate claims. Why is this?

Matthew 7:13 “You can enter true life only through the narrow gate. The gate to hell is very wide, and there is plenty of room on the road that leads there. Many people go that way. 14 But the gate that opens the way to true life is narrow. And the road that leads there is hard to follow. Only a few people find it."

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest. 29 Accept my teaching. Learn from me. I am gentle and humble in spirit. And you will be able to get some rest. 30 Yes, the teaching that I ask you to accept is easy. The load I give you to carry is light.”

Jesus first says that it is very difficult, then he says it is very easy. Why is that?

[quote="ProdigalSon4293, post:1, topic:333446"]
Note: this is the "Easy to read" translation off of Bible Gateway. I have a question. Jesus seems to make two separate claims. Why is this?

Matthew 7:13 “You can enter true life only through the narrow gate. The gate to hell is very wide, and there is plenty of room on the road that leads there. Many people go that way. 14 But the gate that opens the way to true life is narrow. And the road that leads there is hard to follow. Only a few people find it."

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest. 29 Accept my teaching. Learn from me. I am gentle and humble in spirit. And you will be able to get some rest. 30 Yes, the teaching that I ask you to accept is easy. The load I give you to carry is light.”

Jesus first says that it is very difficult, then he says it is very easy. Why is that?

[/quote]

I think it is basically saying the same thing....we can accept all that Jesus said and taught...but actually living and trying to follow those teachings is not easy.

Matt 7:13 is speaking of our daily struggle to live according to what Jesus said and taught...it is a narrow gate.

From the Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 7:13. Enter ye in at the narrow gate, &c. The doctrine of these two verses needs no commentary, but deserve serious attention. (Witham)

Ver. 11:28. All you that, &c. That is, you who are wearied with the heavy load of your sins, and the grievous yoke of the old law. (Menochius)

He was speaking to those belabored by attempting to follow the onerous regulations contained within the 613 laws of the Mosaic Covenant. Ever heard the phrase "a Sabbath day's walk" in scripture? There is a prescribed distance that an observant Jew may walk on the Sabbath, and no further, or it violates the law. As well, they may lift no more than a prescribed weight, or they are in violation of the law. There are 611 other ways in which to violate the law. Browse through Leviticus and see how strict and demanding the Mosaic law was, and what a relief Jesus was, with His fulfillment of that law..

I think I've got an ok answer for ya.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually.

All the laws rules and regulations of the old testament as the third poster mentioned....were more defensive against sin for the people, teaching them how dangerous sin was and raising them above all other peoples on the earth. They were to be mindful of everything they did and to connect it with their relationship with God.

When Christ came, He "freed" those from the law "I have not come to destroy, but to fulfill!".... He took the law from the head into the heart! Now, we are not obligated to follow Gods law....we WANT to because we know Him, have seen Him and Love Him! And know that the law is for our own good because He loves us.

He now adds sweetness to EVERY cross and everything it means in life to be a Christian. Now, the "road" to salvation....there is only one (narrow) and it's a relationship (to Christ) and relationships are "hard". But EVERYTHING we do if we do with love....it's much easier. You can walk through hell for someone you love.....it's VERY HARD to do tough things for those you don't love.

So in this way, Christ has given us an easier route in life if we love Him.

I think He's saying that the right path is hard to find but once you find it, it's way is easy. The world is full of rough tough roads that are easy to find because there are plenty of them, but there are smooth and easy roads too, but they are hidden and hard to find, but once you find it, the travel is much easier and smoother. The truth is hard to find, but once you find the truth it makes life easier. :) The truth/right road is hard to find and there's lots of temptations to draw you away from the truth, but once you find and stay with the truth the road is much smoother. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.