Contradiction in the Same Letter?

I am confused by what appears to be a contradiction in 1 Corinthians.

1 This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.
5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. (1 Cor. 4:1-5)

12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.” (1 Cor. 5:12-13)

Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! (1 Cor. 6:1)

31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (1 Cor. 11:31-32)

How do you interpret these contradictions?

Simple!

They are NOT contradictions. :thumbsup:

What he states is quite simple and also profound we are NOT to judge anyone's salvation.
Only God can judge wether we are worthy or not.

That however does not mean we are to go in life as blind men, how are we to know what is morally right or wrong if we do not judge behaviours, thought etc?

Therefore we can judge what is good and what is bad and act accordingly but we are not to judge the salvation of any one.

Peace!

There is no contradictions, the word judge in the bible is used in two different ways with two different meanings : one is passing final condemnation on someone's souls and the other one is judgment from discerning good from evil. is something similar as the word duck: if I say you have to duck your head because a duck is coming at you is not a contradiction, in one I am talking about the animal and the other one I am talking about lowering your head.

It is not a contradiction.

Remember even Jesus spoke like this. In the Sermon on the Mount He said "Judge not lest ye be judged" and He also said "You will know a tree by the fruit it bears."

Well how can you possibly know a tree by it's fruit unless you are judging the fruit and so also the tree?

Then what gives on this whole "Judge not" thing?

The answer is that we are never to place ourselves (we being the lay people and not those charged with this specific duty in the Church) in the place of God. We are never to presume to know a person's final end and so act as though we somehow have the right to condemn them to Hell based on the thing we see them doing right then and right there.

However it is perfectly good and right to say that what a person is doing is wrong and even try to bring a brother back from wicked doing (James 5) and so save his soul. We are to intervene against evil and wickedness where we see it and call it what it is without fear. And we can do this without condemning the other person.

But first we must love with Christ's love. First we must pray for forgiveness for our own guilt and so forgive our brothers when they wrong us. No one objects to love, and so a person can judge without being judgmental if he remembers that he too is a sinner saved by grace.

The N.T. shows how to judge everything.

Apart from commanding the woman found in adultery to “go and sin no more” the Christ commanded us to:
"Stop judging by appearances, but judge justly." (Jn 7:24).
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them" (Mt 7:15, 16).
"Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them." (Mt 7:19-20).

And St Paul, following the Master:
"Test everything: retain what is good." (1Thess 5:21).
"The spiritual person, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment by anyone." (1 Cor 2:15).

That is precisely why we judge actions, speech, writing against true teaching as to what is good and what is evil, and we know what is good and what is evil only by following the teaching of His Church – not by our opinions, desires, prejudices, feelings, wants – selfism.

=edarlitrix;10896147]I am confused by what appears to be a contradiction in 1 Corinthians.

1 This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.
5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. (1 Cor. 4:1-5)

Judging Angers references the EVIL angels, Satan and his minions [Haydock's catholic Commentary]

12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
13 God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you." (1 Cor. 5:12-13)

Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! (1 Cor. 6:1)

We are not to make judgments lest we also be judged.

However: "By their FRIUTS [what they do and we KNOW they do], we can make fair determanitions" Mt. 7:16-17

Still we are not to attempt to judhe MOTIVES; only the actions.

Within the Church because there are clear, concise commandments an mandates; we are able to judge among ourselves in the light of them; knowing what is right or wrong.

31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (1 Cor. 11:31-32)

How do you interpret these contradictions?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.