Contradictions in the Qu'ran

Very few Muslims are aware of MANY errors in the Qu’ran. Just to name a few:

1. Creation: The biblical Genesis account says God created all in six days (see Genesis 1:1 - 2:2). The Quran, however, has a real problem here as Surah 41:9, 10, 12 have a total of eight days of creation (4+2+2=8) Meanwhile, Surah 10:3 gives the total number of days of creation as six. This is a problem of self-contradiction.

2. Pharaoh: According to the Quran (Surah 7:120-125) Pharaoh used crucifixion in dealing with the sorcerers - a practice which historical evidence gives no precedent to before the Babylonian Empire. This is once again a problem of historical compression.

3. The Golden Calf: According to the Quran (Surah 20:90-100)a Samaritan helped the Israelites build the golden calf, and it mooed after coming out of the fire. In reality, Samaritans did not exist as a people until at least 1000 years after the time of the Moses and the Israelite exodus from Egypt. Again a problem of historical compression.

4. Judaism: According to the Quran (Surah 9:30) the Jews believe that Ezra is the Son of God - the Messiah. This never has been a tenet of Judaism. This is a clear problem of distorted knowledge of other religions and historical fact.

5. Alexander the Great: According to the Quran (Surah 18:89-98) Alexander the Great was a devout Muslim and lived to a ripe old age. Historical records however show that Alexander the Great died young at 33 years of age (b. 356 B.C. - d. 323 B.C.), and believed he was divine, forcing others to recognize him as such. In India on the Hyphasis River (now Beas) Alexander erected twelve altars to twelve Olympian gods. Once again the Quran shows errors in historical and religious fact.

6. The Trinity: According to the Quran (Surah 5:116, 5:73-75) the Christians believe in “three Gods” - Father, Mother, and Son. This shows the influence of heretical ‘Christian’ sects in central Arabia at the time of Muhammad. In contrast, Christianity has always distinctly stated that the Trinity is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The teaching of the Quran on the Trinity has undoubtedly led to confusion among many Muslims on what the Bible (and thus Christianity) teaches about the Triune God.

7. Mary: According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron. Mary is also said to be the sister of Moses and Aaron. Clearly Muhammad confused Mary with Miriam.
    A second interesting point about Mary is the story of the date palm speaking and offering its fruit to her (Surah 19:23). This legend is easily traced to similar legends found in the apocryphal “Protoevangelium of James” the “Pseudo-Matthew” and “the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary” all of which have been dated to the fourth to sixth centuries, and were again believed by the sects found in Arabia. (More indepth information on Quranic sources may be found in Rev. W. St. Clair Tisdall’s The Religion of the Crescent).

8. Textual Variants in the Quran: Many Muslims claim that the Quran today is identical to the revelations received by Muhammad. However, there is overwhelming unanswered evidence to the contrary. This includes evidence of variations both prior to, and after Uthman.
    And thats just the tip of the iceberg! I’ll list more in otther posts. P.S. I mean no disrespect to Muslims, Im just pointing out tthe truth about the Qu’ran.

What was man created from, blood, clay, dust, or nothing?
“Created man, out of a (mere) clot of congealed blood,” (96:2).
"We created man from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape, (15:26).
“The similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: “Be”. And he was,” (3:59).
“But does not man call to mind that We created him before out of nothing?” (19:67, Yusuf Ali). Also, 52:35).
"He has created man from a sperm-drop; and behold this same (man) becomes an open disputer! (16:4).

Is there or is there not compulsion in religion according to the Qur’an?
“Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things,” (2:256).
“And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger, to the people (assembled) on the day of the Great Pilgrimage,- that Allah and His Messenger dissolve (treaty) obligations with the Pagans. If then, ye repent, it were best for you; but if ye turn away, know ye that ye cannot frustrate Allah. And proclaim a grievous penalty to those who reject Faith,” (9:3).
“But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful,” (9:5).
Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued," (9:29).

The first Muslim was Muhammad? Abraham? Jacob? Moses?
“And I [Muhammad] am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam,” (39:12).
“When Moses came to the place appointed by Us, and his Lord addressed him, He said: “O my Lord! show (Thyself) to me, that I may look upon thee.” Allah said: “By no means canst thou see Me (direct); But look upon the mount; if it abide in its place, then shalt thou see Me.” When his Lord manifested His glory on the Mount, He made it as dust. And Moses fell down in a swoon. When he recovered his senses he said: “Glory be to Thee! to Thee I turn in repentance, and I am the first to believe.” (7:143).
“And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; “Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam,” (2:132).
Does Allah forgive or not forgive those who worship false gods?
Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed,” (4:48). Also 4:116
The people of the Book ask thee to cause a book to descend to them from heaven: Indeed they asked Moses for an even greater (miracle), for they said: “Show us Allah in public,” but they were dazed for their presumption, with thunder and lightning. Yet they worshipped the calf even after clear signs had come to them; even so we forgave them; and gave Moses manifest proofs of authority,” (4:153).

Are Allah’s decrees changed or not?
“Rejected were the messengers before thee: with patience and constancy they bore their rejection and their wrongs, until Our aid did reach them: there is none that can alter the words (and decrees) of Allah. Already hast thou received some account of those messengers,” (6:34).
“The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfillment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all, (6:115).
None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?” (2:106).
When We substitute one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- they say, “Thou art but a forger”: but most of them understand not," (16:101).

Was Pharaoh killed or not killed by drowning?
"We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: “I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam). (It was said to him): “Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)! This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!” (10:90-92).
Moses said, “Thou knowest well that these things have been sent down by none but the Lord of the heavens and the earth as eye-opening evidence: and I consider thee indeed, O Pharaoh, to be one doomed to destruction!” So he resolved to remove them from the face of the earth: but We did drown him and all who were with him,” (17:102-103).

Is wine consumption good or bad?
O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan’s handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper," (5:90).
(Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?" (47:15).
Truly the Righteous will be in Bliss: On Thrones (of Dignity) will they command a sight (of all things): Thou wilt recognize in their faces the beaming brightness of Bliss. Their thirst will be slaked with Pure Wine sealed," (83:22-25).

And thats all I have so far. I’ll post more when I see then. These are taken off of carm.org. If the Qu’ran truly is a mesage from “Allah” then why is it flawed? I believe it is a teaching of Islam that Allah is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Then if it is his message, why is it flawed? Show me one time the Bible contradicts itself and I will become an Atheist. Well, maybe not, but you get the picture!

Hello Chazmatez. Most of these verses are taken out of context. A couple weeks ago someone came on the WhyIslam forum and posted almost the same exact “contradictions” you posted. Did you even ask for the explanation of the verses before you called them contradictions? Some of them are really ridiculous. If you want I can post just as many contradictions in the bible.

Is wine consumption good or bad?
O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan’s handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper," (5:90).
(Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?" (47:15).
Truly the Righteous will be in Bliss: On Thrones (of Dignity) will they command a sight (of all things): Thou wilt recognize in their faces the beaming brightness of Bliss. Their thirst will be slaked with Pure Wine sealed," (83:22-25).

The first verse is speaking about this world, while the second two are speaking about wine in the next life.

Are Allah’s decrees changed or not?
“Rejected were the messengers before thee: with patience and constancy they bore their rejection and their wrongs, until Our aid did reach them: there is none that can alter the words (and decrees) of Allah. Already hast thou received some account of those messengers,” (6:34).
“The word of thy Lord doth find its fulfillment in truth and in justice: None can change His words: for He is the one who heareth and knoweth all, (6:115).
None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?” (2:106).
When We substitute one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- they say, “Thou art but a forger”: but most of them understand not," (16:101).

The first two verses are speaking of Gods decree, while the second two are speaking of His verses.

Why do you get your information about Islam from a non-Muslim site?

I do not want to take up to much space on the forum. Here is a loooong list of contradictions in the Bible.

answering-christianity.com/contra.htm

I will be more than happy to explain any so called “contradiction” in the Quran.

In the name of Allah

Slaaam Alaikum All,

I’m very surprised at my Christian (Catholic) friends on the attempt to show that the Qur’an has contradictions. I’m very surprise at what This forum considers as a Contradictions. In sha Allah, i’ll get to All of these so called “Contradictions” in the Qur’an. Taking verses out of context is not an honest way of Finding “contradictions” in the Qur’an.

Textual Variants in the Quran: Many Muslims claim that the Quran today is identical to the revelations received by Muhammad. However, there is overwhelming unanswered evidence to the contrary. This includes evidence of variations both prior to, and after Uthman.
And thats just the tip of the iceberg! I’ll list more in otther posts. P.S. I mean no disrespect to Muslims, Im just pointing out tthe truth about the Qu’ran.

“One of the most common myths about the Qur’an, is that Usman (r.a.), the third Caliph of Islam authenticated and compiled one Qur’an, from a large set of mutually contradicting copies. The Qur’an, revered as the Word of Allah (swt) by Muslims the world over, is the same Qur’an as the one revealed to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). It was authenticated and written under his personal supervision. We will examine the roots of the myth which says that Usman (r.a.) had the Qur’an authenticated.”

The complete Qur’an, along with the correct sequence of the verses, was present during the time of the Prophet (pbuh). The verses however, were written on separate pieces, scrapes of leather, thin flat stones, leaflets, palm branches, shoulder blades, etc. After the demise of the prophet, Abu Bakr (r.a.), the first caliph of Islam ordered that the Qur’an be copied from the various different materials on to a common material and place, which was in the shape of sheets. These were tied with strings so that nothing of the compilation was lost. Therefore, your first attempt to find a Contradiction in the Qur’an has failed…

In the name of Allah

The Trinity: According to the Quran (Surah 5:116, 5:73-75) the Christians believe in “three Gods” - Father, Mother, and Son. This shows the influence of heretical ‘Christian’ sects in central Arabia at the time of Muhammad. In contrast, Christianity has always distinctly stated that the Trinity is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The teaching of the Quran on the Trinity has undoubtedly led to confusion among many Muslims on what the Bible (and thus Christianity) teaches about the Triune God.

No my dear friend Chazemataz, the Qur’an does not teach the Trinity to begin with, what the Qur’an does is forbids worship in the trinity by telling those who believe in the Trinity to decist for God is only one.

Surah AN-NISA 4:171

“O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an apostle of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Trinity(three). Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.”

In the name of Allah

Mary: According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron. Mary is also said to be the sister of Moses and Aaron. Clearly Muhammad confused Mary with Miriam.
A second interesting point about Mary is the story of the date palm speaking and offering its fruit to her (Surah 19:23). This legend is easily traced to similar legends found in the apocryphal “Protoevangelium of James” the “Pseudo-Matthew” and “the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary” all of which have been dated to the fourth to sixth centuries, and were again believed by the sects found in Arabia. (More indepth information on Quranic sources may be found in Rev. W. St. Clair Tisdall’s The Religion of the Crescent).

“In the Arabic construction of the sentence, sister is also considered as a descendant. Thus, when the people said to Mary, Ukhta Haroon i.e. ‘sister of Aaron’ it actually means descendant of Aaron §.”

In the name of Allah

Chazemataz I’ll get to the rest of your list of “Contradictions” as i’m off to work at this moment.

I did not read any of this except the topic. However this is all I have to say:

All of the Qur’an’s discrepancies are easliy explained based off of the time of revelation, circumstances, or terminology.

Next time please only list a few contradictions because people like me are too laze to read that.

Jermin,
I have actually discussed this at length on my Isa, Jesus, Mary, Miriam, and Linguistics thread. If you have new material to bring to the table, please do it there. If you don’t have new material…well…my argument on that thread stands.
Shalom,
RyanL

[quote=Jermin Savory]In the name of Allah

Slaaam Alaikum All,

I’m very surprised at my Christian (Catholic) friends on the attempt to show that the Qur’an has contradictions. I’m very surprise at what This forum considers as a Contradictions. In sha Allah, i’ll get to All of these so called “Contradictions” in the Qur’an. Taking verses out of context is not an honest way of Finding “contradictions” in the Qur’an.
[/quote]

You know it’s really funny! This is a certainly a case of double standards. When someone points contradictions in the Qur’an, you argue that we are taking things out of context!That the Qur’an cannot be disputed. When you do the same with our Bible, then it’s okay, you’re right and we’er wrong.

You tell us that we should go to a Muslim site for clarification, but where do you get your info about our scriptures, from a reputable Christian site, or from a Muslim site? You can’t have it both ways!

THE QUESTION THAT NO MUSLIM ON THIS SIETE HAS EVER ANSWERED IS WHERE IS THE PROOF THAT EVERYTHING THAT MOHAMMED SAID REALLY HAPPENED? THAT THE ANGEL GABRIEL DID IN FACT APPEAR TO HIM AND DICTATED THE QUR’AN TO HIM?

All we keep getting is the same thing over, and over again parrotlike! You keep discrediting everything we believe in order to add credibility to what you believe. I’m so tired of hearing the same thing! Can’t you come up with a better answer?:frowning:

BookLover I will pose the same question to you:

WHERE IS THE PROOF THAT EVERYTHING THAT JESUS SAID REALLY HAPPENED? THAT THE ANGEL GABRIEL DID IN FACT APPEAR TO HIM AND DICTATED THE BIBLE TO HIM?

What kind of proof are you looking for?

[quote=Emad]I do not want to take up to much space on the forum. Here is a loooong list of contradictions in the Bible.

answering-christianity.com/contra.htm

I will be more than happy to explain any so called “contradiction” in the Quran.
[/quote]

Oh my gosh. That site lists no contradictions at all in the BIBLE ALONE! It compares them to the Qu’ran! Also, it claims that God changed His mind about worshipping Him or the Trinity- He does this in the New Testement. After Jesus came along, He set a whole new law, a whole new covenant! The Holy Spirit descended upon His servants, the Holy Spirit came. Another thing where Muslims are flawed- Jesus isn’t literally the “son of God” as Muhammad claimed. He just calls Himself that. If He walked around saying “I am God. I am God. Bow down and worship Me” then nobody would listen. And just how dumb do you think people are? Christianity broke off of Judaism. The major world religion at the time. It had to start somewhere. Jesus Christ DID claim He was the Son Of God, and He was!!! He was no mere prophet! He WAS God! People could see if there was a person named Jesus at the time. What dummy would follow a pointless religion that claimed to be based on the ficticious teachings of a prophet as you say? People aren’t like that. People NEED proof of everything. If some nutcase came up and said “I am God” would people today follow him? Heck no! They’d throw him in the nuthouse! They need proof. And they saw Jesus and saw Him perform miracles and preach and they believed that he was God. and HE IS! He is Yahweh. He is God!

[quote=Emad]BookLover I will pose the same question to you:

WHERE IS THE PROOF THAT EVERYTHING THAT JESUS SAID REALLY HAPPENED? THAT THE ANGEL GABRIEL DID IN FACT APPEAR TO HIM AND DICTATED THE BIBLE TO HIM?

[/quote]

Oh please! The Angel Gabriel did not appear to Jesus and dictate the Bible to him! He appeared to the Virgin Mary to tell her that she was going to be the mother of Jesus, the Son of God!

Come on, get real!

What I want is proof that the Angel Gabriel appeared to Mohammed at all! :frowning:

classis taqiya.

this topic is discussing the inconsistencies in the Quran.

not the Bible or Christianity.

please address the discrepancies without trying to derail the topic.

[quote=Emad]BookLover I will pose the same question to you:

[/quote]

Have you ever heard stories of people being miracously healed after praying to Allah? Has Muhammad ever appeared and have people taken his picture? Do you have holy water springs that have healing capabilities as well? Have any of your Worship Leaders(I dont know what they are called) exorcised a demon in Allah’s name? Also, Emad, why should I give up my Christian religion fro a God who only loves Muslims? Yahweh loves everybody. Jesus gave up His life on the cross to die for the sins of the world. has Allah ever sacrificed himself for his people? What is the greatest act of love Allah has performed? Why should I convert from a religion where my God has sacrificed Himself so that my, and everybody else’s sins may be forgiven. And Yahweh loves everybody, even people like Saddam. Allah only loves Muslims.

BookLover I will pose the same question to you:

Emad,

Is this a foolish question or what; “Where can we find in the Bible that the angel Gabriel dictates the Bible to Jesus?” --you’re funny. Please revise your question. It is not correct and doesn’t make any sense at all. Don’t compare Jesus to Muhammad. We never said that the angel Gabriel dictates the Bible to Jesus. If you have proof on this show it to us. Also, before you make such question, KNOW FIRST what you are asking. OK?

Now, with regard to your first question, there are witnesses to Jesus’ life and what he had said. These are the apostles and disciples of Jesus who witnessed to his passion, death and resurrection.

And now, let’s go back to the original post about Quran contradictions.

Pio

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.