Contrition at confession?

So I went to confession today and confessed some venial sins (one of which I thought may have been mortal) however I'm worried that I was not sorry for them. I have a firm purpose of amendment always when it comes to sinning, but I'm always worried that the confession was not valid due to me not being contrite or sincere.

I went as I was worried that I had mortally sinned and wanted to be absolved before receiving communion. I did do an examination of conscience, however it was not very thorough as it had only been one day since I last went to confession.

I'm pretty sure I'm just being scrupulous, but any input would be great, thanks.

[quote="veryworried6277, post:1, topic:300150"]
So I went to confession today and confessed some venial sins (one of which I thought may have been mortal) however I'm worried that I was not sorry for them. I have a firm purpose of amendment always when it comes to sinning, but I'm always worried that the confession was not valid due to me not being contrite or sincere.

I went as I was worried that I had mortally sinned and wanted to be absolved before receiving communion. I did do an examination of conscience, however it was not very thorough as it had only been one day since I last went to confession.

I'm pretty sure I'm just being scrupulous, but any input would be great, thanks.

[/quote]

Baltimore Catechism No. 3***

Q. 781. Why is it well to confess also the venial sins we remember?
A. It is well to confess also the venial sins we remember:
1.(1) Because it shows our hatred of all sin, and
2.(2) Because it is sometimes difficult to determine just when a sin is venial and when mortal.

Q. 782. What should one do who has only venial sins to confess?
A. One who has only venial sins to confess should tell also some sin already confessed in his past life for which he knows he is truly sorry; because it is not easy to be truly sorry for slight sins and imperfections, and yet we must be sorry for the sins confessed that our confession may be valid -- hence we add some past sin for which we are truly sorry to those for which we may not be sufficiently sorry.

Q. 783. Should a person stay from confession because he thinks he has no sin to confess ?
A. A person should not stay from confession because he thinks he has no sin to confess, for the Sacrament of Penance, besides forgiving sin, gives an increase of sanctifying grace, and of this we have always need, especially to resist temptation. The Saints, who were almost without imperfection, went to confession frequently.

Q. 829. What is a general confession?
A. A general confession is the telling of the sins of our whole life or a great part of it. It is made in the same manner as an ordinary confession, except that it requires more time and longer preparation.

Q. 830. When should a General Confession be made?
A. A general confession:
[LIST=1]
]Is necessary when we are certain that our past confessions were bad;
*]It is useful on special occasions in our lives when some change in our way of living is about to take place;
*]It is hurtful and must not be made when persons are scrupulous.
[/LIST]
**Q. 831. What are the signs of scruples and the remedy against them?
A. The signs of scruples are chiefly:
[LIST=1]
*]To be always dissatisfied with our confessions;
*]To be self-willed in deciding what is sinful and what is not. The chief remedy against them is to follow exactly the advice of the confessor without questioning the reason or utility of his advice.
[/LIST]

Q. 831. What are the signs of scruples and the remedy against them?
A. The signs of scruples are chiefly:
To be always dissatisfied with our confessions;
To be self-willed in deciding what is sinful and what is not. The chief remedy against them is to follow exactly the advice of the confessor without questioning the reason or utility of his advice.

Are you suggesting that my confession as most likely okay, but I'm probably over scrupulous? I just don't want to receive Jesus in the state of mortal sin.

Q. 782. What should one do who has only venial sins to confess?
A. One who has only venial sins to confess should tell also some sin already confessed in his past life for which he knows he is truly sorry; because it is not easy to be truly sorry for slight sins and imperfections, and yet we must be sorry for the sins confessed that our confession may be valid -- hence we add some past sin for which we are truly sorry to those for which we may not be sufficiently sorry.

If so, would you reccomend this for next time?

Feelings come & go. The important thing is you want to be right with God. He LOVES THAT! You did the right thing, the Priest has absolved you of your sin. If you've done your penance you are forgiven whether you feel like it or not!

May God Bless you daily. :thumbsup:

[quote="Regina_Love, post:4, topic:300150"]
Feelings come & go. The important thing is you want to be right with God. He LOVES THAT! You did the right thing, the Priest has absolved you of your sin. If you've done your penance you are forgiven whether you feel like it or not!

May God Bless you daily. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Thanks very much. I feel although I may have doubted God's mercy? or was I doubting my sincereness? Is there a difference?

[quote="Vico, post:2, topic:300150"]

Q. 782. What should one do who has only venial sins to confess?***

I don't understand this - it seems to be implying that you should dredge up some past sin that you have been absolved from just so you feel bad in confession. Once a sin has been absolved it is wrong to dwell on it/recall it just to continue the misery, surely? Some confessions will feel better or worse than others, and so they should, depending on the severity of what you have to confess.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

[quote="Martin15, post:6, topic:300150"]
I don't understand this - it seems to be implying that you should dredge up some past sin that you have been absolved from just so you feel bad in confession. Once a sin has been absolved it is wrong to dwell on it/recall it just to continue the misery, surely? Some confessions will feel better or worse than others, and so they should, depending on the severity of what you have to confess.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

It's to ensure the priest has sufficient matter for absolution. Sometimes what we think are venial sins are imperfections. Imperfections are not valid matter for absolution, so to be on the safe side (and to receive specific graces to not commit that sin again) one should re-confess a past sin.

One thing to remember is that contrition need not involve "feelings". It involves the will.

[quote="veryworried6277, post:3, topic:300150"]
Are you suggesting that my confession as most likely okay, but I'm probably over scrupulous? I just don't want to receive Jesus in the state of mortal sin.

If so, would you reccomend this for next time?

[/quote]

I'm not drawing a conclusion, you said in the first post "I'm pretty sure I'm just being scrupulous, but any input would be great, thanks."

Yes, I would recommend mention one past serious sin (already absolved) for contrition, along with the venial.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.