Controversial Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend to Breast-Feed

I would like to know what everyone thinks of this:

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537261,00.html?test=latestnews

I think this is much ado about nothing.

While the doll itself may be new, there is nothing new about little girls, or little boys for that matter, breastfeeding their dolls . Both DD & DS1 ‘breastfed’ their baby dolls when they saw me breastfeeding a sibling. Other breastfeeding moms reported the same phenomenon.

BTW, DD is 29 & DS1 is 27 and I’m not a grandma so I don’t think this will encourage ‘early pregnancy’.

As someone who had a mom that didn’t breast-feed any of us, the idea of a doll that was designed for pretend breast feeding does weird me out a little.

BUT I also think it’s relatively harmless. When I was little I also used to “play mommy” with my baby-like dolls. I’d wrap them up, walk them in a toy stroller, feed them through a toy bottle…basically repeating the behaviors I saw my mom do. Breastfeeding a doll is just another one of those behaviors. If all you observed is your mom breast feeding a baby, that’s going to be the only way you’d know to make sure your doll is well fed. :wink:

I agree. My 4 year old imitates my wife when she breasfeeds our youngest daughter. It seems natural to me. I would also point out that there are dolls that urinate, requiring the owner to change its diapers. Why is this kind of doll acceptable to many, whereas a doll requiring owners to imitate breastfeeding creates a stir? Is it because such a doll teaches a young girl to see her breasts as functional and life giving and not merely objects of male sexual fantasy? I’m not sure.

Well, why is a doll that mimics breastfeeding weirder than a doll that mimics bottle-feeding? I try not to get dolls that mimic anything - I can’t keep up with the batteries, but my daughter breastfeeds her dolls. How else would she try to feed them?

There is a thread in Parenting about this…

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=363979

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.