Controversial Statue Removed From San Francisco Civic Center

Hmm. Seems to me this is discriminatory against Vaqueros. Where I live, urban vaqueros parade down the street on Cinco de Mayo. But no deal in S.F. Vaqueros are banished to the outer darkness; probably their statue is melted down as a symbol of their being in hell or something.

@Ridgerunner Just as a tangential matter, did you know the word ‘buckaroo’ is a corruption of ‘vaquero’?

Yup. (10 characters)

What is good for the goose…!

The removal of a statue of a good progressive?

I’d be interesting in reading the original intent for the particular posing of St. Junipero Serra and the native american man (I read some background on the whole exhibit). In addition to his clothing, etc. being unauthentic, one complaint is that the native american is portrayed as “subservient” but that doesn’t look to actually be the case. It looks instead as if he is being blessed, however him lying down for a blessing is odd, unless he is supposed to be sick and the Saint is praying for his healing.

While I understand the tendency to group people as progressive and conservative (or some other dichotomy) people don’t necessarily frame themselves in that way and don’t necessarily act from the perspective of drawing their in-group/out-group lines along that dichotomy.

With respect to these statues and other icons I believe the context in which they are displayed will influence how some feel about whether or not they should stay or go. For example, the same person that is against the display of propaganda of antisemitism might be have no opposition to it being displayed in a holocaust museum. In the case of this bust of Margaret Sanger it is part of a “Struggle for Justice” exhibit honoring her. If the same bust were in an exhibit that listed what Sanger’s motivations were then it might be accepted as an illustration.

In the Atlanta museum of Civil Rights on the third floor there is an exhibit of dictators that have records of being abusive to their citizens, including life sized pictures of each one. Some living, some dead. The dictators are presented in a condemning context. I don’t think we will see much opposition to their presence there.

Whether or not they see themselves that isn’t the issue. For some, Sanger is a heroine of the progressive movement. She was also a racist and eugenicist.

My comment, however, was only slightly tongue in cheek.

I did a little bit of research on her and apparently she was a little more nuanced than how she is portrayed: for example, she was opposed to abortion and saw birth control as a way to mitigate abortions. As far as racism goes, her biographer opines she wasn’t racist but she didn’t mind keeping company with them in the hopes she could sway them to her opinion on birth control issues.

I’m sure there have been numerous attempts to revise.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.