Convalidation and RCIA

Backstory

Me: baptized in the Catholic church, and have received my sacraments up through confirmation as a child.
DH: Baptized in the Church as an infant, his family left the church before he could receive Eucharist or be Confirmed.

We were wed in a civil ceremony in 2011 after several deaths in the family prompted us to postpone our big fat catholic wedding. When I started planning again, I found myself having panic attacks and we decided to elope (a rent-a-minister married us) on an island.

We have moved since our wedding and started attending a new parish.

DH has expressed interest in completing his sacraments and becoming a "real" Catholic (his words) this year, and I have been eager to returning to the church after a prolonged absence after the death of my father (see postponing my wedding above).

Will we have to have a convalidation ceremony before his first Eucharist IF we go to confession and then abstain from further marital relations? This may sound selfish but I would love to have the wedding day that we had dreamed of, but I need to lose weight before I cram myself into a white dress.

I am willing to abstain (and so is he), maintain separate bedrooms in our home, and live chastely if it means that we will be able to receive the Eucharist together at our wedding Mass.

We are meeting with the Faith Formation director and priest next week. I'd just like to hear from others who may know if this is even possible before I get my hopes up.

Snce you’re meeting with a priest soon, I’d wait for his opinion because he’s probably been dealing with this issue for several years. I suspect it will all work out well for you. :thumbsup:

[quote="UnCatholicBride, post:1, topic:314989"]

Will we have to have a convalidation ceremony before his first Eucharist IF we go to confession and then abstain from further marital relations?

[/quote]

This is a question for your pastor.

This may sound selfish but I would love to have the wedding day that we had dreamed of, but I need to lose weight before I cram myself into a white dress.

[/quote]

Your marriage situation should really be dealt with as soon as possible. Please talk to your pastor.

We are meeting with the Faith Formation director and priest next week. I'd just like to hear from others who may know if this is even possible before I get my hopes up.

[/quote]

The faith formation person is not the right person to discuss this with. Please make an appointment with your pastor for his guidance.

Backstory

Me: baptized in the Catholic church, and have received my sacraments up through confirmation as a child.
DH: Baptized in the Church as an infant, his family left the church before he could receive Eucharist or be Confirmed.

We were wed in a civil ceremony in 2011 after several deaths in the family prompted us to postpone our big fat catholic wedding. When I started planning again, I found myself having panic attacks and we decided to elope (a rent-a-minister married us) on an island.

We have moved since our wedding and started attending a new parish.

DH has expressed interest in completing his sacraments and becoming a "real" Catholic (his words) this year, and I have been eager to returning to the church after a prolonged absence after the death of my father (see postponing my wedding above).

Will we have to have a convalidation ceremony before his first Eucharist IF we go to confession and then abstain from further marital relations? This may sound selfish but I would love to have the wedding day that we had dreamed of, but I need to lose weight before I cram myself into a white dress.

I am willing to abstain (and so is he), maintain separate bedrooms in our home, and live chastely if it means that we will be able to receive the Eucharist together at our wedding Mass.

[/quote]

I pray it all works out for you, def make an appt asap with your Priest.

You had me dying of laughter at "big fat Catholic wedding" and "rent-a-minister" :rotfl: No better time than Lent to help with that dress ... (I'm kidding!!) Do what I did in terms of the dress. Get the next size up and keep it moving :D... I refuse to be uncomfortable even if pretty lol.

Best wishes to you!

[quote="Grace2013, post:4, topic:314989"]
I pray it all works out for you, def make an appt asap with your Priest.

You had me dying of laughter at "big fat Catholic wedding" and "rent-a-minister" :rotfl: No better time than Lent to help with that dress ... (I'm kidding!!) Do what I did in terms of the dress. Get the next size up and keep it moving :D... I refuse to be uncomfortable even if pretty lol.

Best wishes to you!

[/quote]

I still have one heck of a dress from when we were planning said big fat catholic wedding... and I'd hate for it to go to waste. It wasn't really suitable for a beach wedding, but I'd love to get use out of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.