Convalidation

It's been a while since I've been on here, so I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this!

I am married. My husband and I have been married before, and we haven't gotten annullments. We didn't get married in the Church (a decision we both regret). So, if our annullments are granted then we plan to have it convalidated ASAP! My questions are: Has anyone done a convalidation ceremony? Does it work the same way as preparing for a wedding Mass, where you go through the 6 month pre-cana and all that good stuff? I don't mind going through pre-cana anyways, because I believe even though we are already married, it could still be very beneficial to us. How does the convalidation ceremony work, I mean is it just you, the spouse and the priest, or can it be done like a wedding mass? Any other help/insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

A convalidation is a marriage ceremony so it may be done within a wedding Mass if you are both Catholic. Otherwise it's better that it be done during a Liturgy of the Word.

It can be done as simply or as elaborately as the priest will let you. The only thing you really need is you, your groom and two witnesses.

You may have to do Pre-Cana but that depends on what your diocese and your pastor want. In my parish I know someone who saw the priest after Mass one day and since there were no impediments he told them he'd celebrate the convalidation as soon as they did the paperwork.

I know another couple who got married civilly almost two years ago. Last week after Sunday Mass they spoke to the priest and asked to get their marriage convalidated. He did it then and there. Of course they had done the preparation two years ago but had opted not to wait when the date they'd set rolled around and his annulment wasn't final.

[quote="Iggy85, post:1, topic:301565"]
Has anyone done a convalidation ceremony?

[/quote]

Yes.

Does it work the same way as preparing for a wedding Mass, where you go through the 6 month pre-cana and all that good stuff? I don't mind going through pre-cana anyways, because I believe even though we are already married, it could still be very beneficial to us. How does the convalidation ceremony work, I mean is it just you, the spouse and the priest, or can it be done like a wedding mass? Any other help/insight you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

In reality, there is no difference between a wedding and a convaldation; they are the same thing. A convalidation simply deals with the situation where a couple is married civilly, but the civil marriage is not recognized by the Church.

The preparation theoretically is the same. However, the couple's circumstances are taken into account. For example, we did not have to go through pre-Cana. But we had been married civilly for years, we had children who were baptized in the RC Church and were taking classes to receive the other sacraments, and the priest knew us. He still met with us and questioned us, but that only took a day.

The ceremony is what you want it to be. Ours was incredibly low key; just the very immediate family, less than 10 people.

I would like to keep ours low-key as well. Hubby thinks otherwise. Because he works at EWTN, he feels the need to invite the ENTIRE Safety and Security Dept., all of the Brothers from the Friary, all the Priest that have anything to do with the network, and various other people...lol

Iggy, I can certainly sympathize with you preferring a low-key event, but what a compliment to you to have a husband who is proud to have so many people witness your ceremony! That has to make you feel so valued! best wishes

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.