Conversation with my mother. advice please!

Hi All,

I know I’m a newcomer to the forums, but I feel as though I’m in need of some good, solid, Catholic advice, and as I have very very few Catholic friends, I’m hoping I can get it here.

Last night, I had a very interesting conversation with my mother. See, I am not yet a Catholic (after over a year of discerning whether or not it would be the best decision for my family life, I’ve decided to put it in God’s hands and take the plunge, anyway) and will be beginning my RCIA in a relatively short time. I am absolutely ecstatic about the program and what is to come.

However, as I’ve slowly been opening up to my mom about how I feel about the Church, my future, and where I want to be, she has gone from angry-wary-accepting-supporting… to
"Why don’t you become a minister or pastor?"

I was gobsmacked when she said that. My answer (choked out) was “Mom, you can’t have female Catholic pastors, it doesn’t work that way.” and her response was, “Well, why don’t you become christian reformed or anglican, then?” :eek:

That got me into a conversation with her about “Who started those churches, mom? Because I know who started the Catholic church, and his name was Jesus… the rest are all offshoots, with things that are just plain weird or not right about them”

She maintains that I’d make a great pastor or minister. Mayyyybe I would- if that was what I believed in! (oddly enough, this is somewhat flattering coming from my non-believing mother. I couldn’t help but to feel like she’s finally starting to get that God and The Church is what is most important to me. So much so that she thinks I should be of the Church. Which clearly isn’t going to happen, but it’s sweet all the same.)

I don’t know how to explain to her any better than I already have. Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

God Bless,
Gabrielle

I think your mother has paid you a very high compliment and I would take it as such. And, if you would make a good pastor in her eyes, perhaps you are indeed called to a pastoral or teaching vocation. The Catholic Church can use faithful women with those qualities in many, many roles.

Well…from a cradle catholic…“Welcome Home”:dancing: :clapping: :bounce: . I say cradle, because that is what they call us out there. But as far as I know, weare All cradle catholics on the way home.
Anyway…Great conversation with your mom. The way you handled it, lets me know, why she suggested you should be a pastor. Now I think one way you can continue to handle these conversations with her, is by telling her…“I’m gonna take it, one day at a time mom, and I’ll see where the Good Lord wants to take me.” Well, tell her, there are sooo many areas within the church, where you are needed, that you are sure, the Good Lord will show you where he wants you to work. In the history of the church, there have been such heroic and saintly women, that helped lift the church, at their time, and many were not nuns nor sisters.
Good Luck in your preparation, and I really think, you will find the best way to continue those great conversations with your mom. That is how one of my friends started. She use to be tolerant of her catholic husband, then she would make suggestions to him, later she started joining our bible classes out of “curiosity”, then stepped up to asking questions and giving us her opinion (which we all respected). She has been a catholic now for about five years :slight_smile:

I second IrishAm!!! Clearly she sees tremendous potential in you, and she probably doesn’t know yet that there are many vocations open to you that do not require you to go apostate! :stuck_out_tongue: What’s more, we NEED strong, devout, passionate Catholic women to encourage, direct, and teach the faithful. And I’m sure if this is your calling, you will have no trouble finding your place when God says it’s time!

Welcome home!! :extrahappy:

Thanks so much to all of you for your support and kind words!
I’m never quite sure if I am approaching explaining the calling to the True Church I have in the correct way. (probably because it’s so indescribable.)
It’s good to know I’m not completely botching my explanations.
God bless.

ps. It’s good to be finally coming home :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.