Conversion / Society of Jesus?

Hello to all,

I’m a baptised/confirmed but non-practicing Lutheran. For quite a long time now I’ve felt deep attraction to the Roman Catholic faith. Now this is not some religion shopping thing, as it’s been going on longer than what your average faith fad might last. I’ve also attended mass number of times, though naturally not participating in the communion.

Another thing: I’m especially intrested in Jesuit theology and the history of the Society. Is there any way to incorporate the Jesuit tradition to conversion and further practice of the faith? (I’m not entirely sure if I express the question in a correct way…)

Oh, and I live in Kansas City, KS.

All ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. :slight_smile:

[quote=rkelly]Hello to all,

I’m a baptised/confirmed but non-practicing Lutheran. For quite a long time now I’ve felt deep attraction to the Roman Catholic faith. Now this is not some religion shopping thing, as it’s been going on longer than what your average faith fad might last. I’ve also attended mass number of times, though naturally not participating in the communion.

Another thing: I’m especially intrested in Jesuit theology and the history of the Society. Is there any way to incorporate the Jesuit tradition to conversion and further practice of the faith? (I’m not entirely sure if I express the question in a correct way…)

Oh, and I live in Kansas City, KS.

All ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I am not sure what your question is either but have you any knowledge of The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola?

Talk about conversion! – and these Exercises are for people who are already CATHOLIC!

The *Spiritual Exercises * are wonderful. In order to learn more about them, speak to a Jesuit priest. The Exercises are generally used for a guided retreat or other structured event under the advisement of a spiritual director. You could contact the Jesuits at Rockhurst in Kansas City, MO.

I guess what my question was is that is there such thing as “Jesuit conversion”, or being “Jesuit lay Catholic”, or is any conversion in Jesuit parish considered as such?
I am not entirely sure what is the SJ situation in Kansas City.

Another question: I have understood that in Orthodox Judaism a convert will undergo 1-on-1 studying with a Rabbi. Is there 1-on-1 conversions in Catholicism?

[quote=severinus]The *Spiritual Exercises *are wonderful. In order to learn more about them, speak to a Jesuit priest. The Exercises are generally used for a guided retreat or other structured event under the advisement of a spiritual director. You could contact the Jesuits at Rockhurst in Kansas City, MO.
[/quote]

This is good advice, but even just looking at the book gives you an idea of how this works. Wouldn’t advise actually attempting the *Exercises *except under experienced direction. They are not intended for individual, unguided use – and whoa! Is there ever a good reason for that! It’s a combination of the Inquisition and Psychoanalysis that can be dangerous if you’re not ready for the challenge. I made the Exercises many years ago under the direction of the Jesuit who had been the Spritual Director of a Jesuit seminary. When I asked if seminarians had ever simply decompensated right before his eyes, he slowly answered . . . Yeeeesssss. The Exercises are NOT for weenies!

Thanks. I am aware of the existence of the ‘Exercises’, but haven’t attempted to exercise them myself.

[quote=rkelly]Thanks. I am aware of the existence of the ‘Exercises’, but haven’t attempted to exercise them myself.
[/quote]

Good. Don’t. But you can see that they are set up to draw you fully into the mystery of Redemption. Wowser! After 550 years, they’re still dynamite.

[quote=mercygate]This is good advice, but even just looking at the book gives you an idea of how this works. Wouldn’t advise actually attempting the *Exercises *except under experienced direction. They are not intended for individual, unguided use – and whoa! Is there ever a good reason for that! It’s a combination of the Inquisition and Psychoanalysis that can be dangerous if you’re not ready for the challenge. I made the Exercises many years ago under the direction of the Jesuit who had been the Spritual Director of a Jesuit seminary. When I asked if seminarians had ever simply decompensated right before his eyes, he slowly answered . . . Yeeeesssss. The Exercises are NOT for weenies!
[/quote]

Absolutely right. Definitely not for weenies or do-it-yourselfers. :slight_smile:

You might look into the Jesuit Volunteer Corps for volunteer opportunities in your area, they use teens, college youth, college grads, adults and even senior citizens.

[quote=rkelly]Another question: I have understood that in Orthodox Judaism a convert will undergo 1-on-1 studying with a Rabbi. Is there 1-on-1 conversions in Catholicism?
[/quote]

not really as a common thing. there are RCIA (rite of christian initiation for adults) classes that can be taken for those who wish to learn about the chuch before they convert (study of the Church is required if one actually decides to cnvert). i suppose if you find a willing spiritual director you could study under them, but that is a lot to ask of someone, especially since RCIA classes are readilly available. But I’d have to say if I were a jesuit father or brother (possible someday but not today), and I had the blessing of my superior, I would jump at the chance to devote time to 1 on 1 conversions! what a wonderful ministry that would be!

[quote=severinus]The *Spiritual Exercises *are wonderful. In order to learn more about them, speak to a Jesuit priest. The Exercises are generally used for a guided retreat or other structured event under the advisement of a spiritual director. You could contact the Jesuits at Rockhurst in Kansas City, MO.
[/quote]

Not that I know of. You usually take RCIA classes which have already started this fall. If you go to your parish, they may be able to let you in late. You usually have a spiritual director or a sponsor who helps guide you in the Faith until Easter. Usually it’s an older man or woman. Talk to your parish’s secretary and they can give you information on their RCIA programs.
God bless.

Just a note - I’m pretty sure that RCIA classes have already started, so if you want to get in, you should contact your parish’s secretary and they may be able to get you in late. Just tell them you didn’t know anything about the classes until now. If you feel comfortable with Catholicism as your Faith after RCIA, you will be accepted into the Faith at Easter.

[quote=Brain]not really as a common thing. there are RCIA (rite of christian initiation for adults) classes that can be taken for those who wish to learn about the chuch before they convert (study of the Church is required if one actually decides to cnvert). i suppose if you find a willing spiritual director you could study under them, but that is a lot to ask of someone, especially since RCIA classes are readilly available. But I’d have to say if I were a jesuit father or brother (possible someday but not today), and I had the blessing of my superior, I would jump at the chance to devote time to 1 on 1 conversions! what a wonderful ministry that would be!
[/quote]

I became a Catholic through 1-on-1 discussions with a Priest. I was reading books on my own and then would go and talk to him about them. I didn’t go through the RCIA classes. At the time, I thought it was great, however, in retrospect, I was not fully instructed. This resulted in struggling with some doctrinal issues after conversion. I’ve worked through much of what has bugged me, but am still working through a few things. I’ve started RCIA class this Fall to get what I missed before.

[quote=rkelly]I guess what my question was is that is there such thing as “Jesuit conversion”, or being “Jesuit lay Catholic”, or is any conversion in Jesuit parish considered as such?
I am not entirely sure what is the SJ situation in Kansas City.

Another question: I have understood that in Orthodox Judaism a convert will undergo 1-on-1 studying with a Rabbi. Is there 1-on-1 conversions in Catholicism?
[/quote]

1-on-1 conversions are not so rare as all that. I was listening to a Fr. Connor program on EWTN about the many conversions (1-on-1) of Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

Also, if you ask at your local parish and have a legitimate reason for wanting private instruction and your pastor is not too busy, you may be able to make appointments instead of attending the standard RCIA classes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.