Conversion to Islam to get 'victim' status

A guy named Eric Holt wrote to Mark Steyn here: THE OPPRESSORS OPPRESSED and had an interesting idea:

I started college in Seattle in 1970, and quickly noticed a few things, in particular, the ideological pecking order. The lowest political caste on campus, of course, was (and remains) the straight white Christian male. This led me, at the time, to predict that there would be a sharp rise in the number of students identifying as homosexual, because it meant an immediate promotion from oppressor to victim.

While Ward Churchill has striven mightily with respect to adjective number two (“white”), the real growth opportunity lies in adjective number three (“Christian”). This leads me to another prediction: we can expect a flood of white converts to Islam in the west, of which we have already seen the first-fruits, John Walker Lindh being exhibit A.

It has also occurred to me that, if I were a temperamentally conservative person (which I am) growing up overseas (which I am not), and if my image of America was the one presented by Hollywood and the rest of the entertainment industry, then I would also hate “America” and be receptive to sermons about the Great Satan down at the mosque. Consequently, I have come to regard Hollywood not just as a cultural blight, but literally as a threat to America’s national security.

This guy seems rather confused. In one sentence he says the straight white Christian male is the lowest caste, but if you move out of it you become a ‘victim’. He sounds rather like he is playing the ‘victim’ himself.

Mike

Hollywood, I see is similar like “the spanish cinema” and my cinema is worse, because they do worse movies and subventioned by the state.

[quote=MikeWM]This guy seems rather confused. In one sentence he says the straight white Christian male is the lowest caste, but if you move out of it you become a ‘victim’. He sounds rather like he is playing the ‘victim’ himself.

Mike
[/quote]

I don’t think he means that Moslems are actually victims…he means that, in the political climate on campus, (and elsewhere in the West) Moslems are preceived as “victims”, and so have better (perceived) status than Christians. Thus he predicts that some will claim to convert to Islam, to escape the (again, “perceived”) stigma of being the “Christian Oppressor”.

[quote=Reepicheep]I don’t think he means that Moslems are actually victims…he means that, in the political climate on campus, (and elsewhere in the West) Moslems are preceived as “victims”, and so have better (perceived) status than Christians. Thus he predicts that some will claim to convert to Islam, to escape the (again, “perceived”) stigma of being the “Christian Oppressor”.
[/quote]

Well, if their Christian faith only amounts to where it puts them in the social standing, it can’t be much of a belief.

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.