Converting is not easy in a Baptist family

How do you handle it? My family has no clue I am converting with the exception of my mom and husband. My grandmother, I'm afraid, would have a cow if she knew. I don't plan on joining the church until Easter 2012. So, I have some time you see but I don't know how to break that too her when it's time and I am not sure how long I can hide it. For now I don't go to her(our) church b/c of the way I work which buys me the time and cover to not have to go to this church that I don't believe in, but my schedule changes during the summer so I am not sure what I will do at that point..

I, too, converted from a very strong fundamentalist background, and it was extremely difficult to find the courage to stand up for what I believed in.
What made it easier is when I began to feel sorry for my family, that they couldn't comprehend the fullness and majesty of the Catholic Church. I was able to see them through different eyes and feel so much compassion for them, that I was no longer afraid of their wrath but rather, sorrowful over their delusions.
It helps to imagine a conversation with various members of your family, and what may possibly be said, so you can come up with plausible answers.
God bless you, and welcome home!

[quote="w0231136, post:1, topic:225067"]
How do you handle it? My family has no clue I am converting with the exception of my mom and husband. My grandmother, I'm afraid, would have a cow if she knew. I don't plan on joining the church until Easter 2012. So, I have some time you see but I don't know how to break that too her when it's time and I am not sure how long I can hide it. For now I don't go to her(our) church b/c of the way I work which buys me the time and cover to not have to go to this church that I don't believe in, but my schedule changes during the summer so I am not sure what I will do at that point..

[/quote]

Congratulations on your decision to join the Catholic Church. You have been blessed. I know how difficult grandmothers can be in defending what they believe. My own grandmother wanted nothing to do with us when my mother changed from Greek Catholic to Roman Catholic after she married my father. What is your mother's attitude? Can she break the ice with your grandmother? You need an ally, unless there you have a special bond with your grandmother. If she loves you unconditionally, you should be able to at least, in a private conversation with her, explain that you love the Lord as much as ever, but feel that the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus began. It's going to hurt her to the degree that she is committed to the Baptist Church. Good luck. You're in my prayers.

www.catholic-convert.com is the web site for Steve Ray with a very strong conversion history from a very strong Baptist Family. Hopefully, you will find material to assist you with your family.

I was gonna recommend Steve Ray also, but someone already has, so good luck!

First I want to say to pray, keep your faith and stay strong. Don't let the fact that your family may be hostile towards the idea keep you from coming into full communion with Holy Mother Church in Easter.

I too converted from a family full of Southern Baptists. I imagined that my family would have this horrible reaction to the news but surprisingly it was accepted by them to the point that I've even gotten my family to come to Mass for special occasions like confirmation, first communion, our marriage blessing and the baptism of our son. My mother even spoke of how impressed she was with the reverence she witnessed in the Catholic Church.

Have I gotten anyone in my family to convert? Not yet, but it has opened up a window of dialog. So my suggest is to be proud of what you're doing. Don't hide it and don't succumb to any opposition that the devil sends your way. You may even be surprised by how your family reacts. Also, it may give you the opportunity to bring more members of your family into the Church. It may not be easy, but be prepared to defend your faith and you will have the upper hand.

Pax Christi!

I converted from a Protestant upbringing (albeit not a Baptist or Evangelical one; my family was Methodist, then Wesleyan). I was very concerned about how my parents would take it, but they took it surprisingly well.

I do, however, have a number of Baptist and Evangelical friends (I lived many years in Southern Virginia, which is solid Baptist country). My true friends were accepting, though not necessarily 'supportive,' but some people do take a very anti-Catholic position. After all, we're a bunch of Mary-worshiping, idol-worshiping Papists, right ;-). In fact, I've run into a few people who have tried very desperately to correct my supposed error and bring me 'back to Christ.'

They mean well; they sincerely believe we have done something horrible. I know they are mistaken, but I also know they are not intentionally being malicious or hateful. They have been misled. And the difficulties we face in defending our Catholic faith are nothing compared to the difficulties faced by the martyrs! Reminding myself of this helps me to keep perspective.

What I have tried to do is be honest about my convictions, learn to refute the common slanders directed toward us as best as I can, and engage in a LOT of prayer for Christian unity. I will also say this: it became much easier for me to defend the faith after Confirmation. After all, it's the sacrament that deepens our connection with the Church and increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us!

God bless you, and congratulations on your decision to convert! Entering into full communion with One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church has been one of the most wonderful and fulfilling experiences you can imagine!

I'm a revert to the faith, so I don't know what to say to your exact situation, but I have a website that might be helpful: www.chnetwork.org

It's Marcus Grodi's Coming Home Network. It's an organization that helps Protestant ministers and laypeople coming into the Catholic Church.

I hope you can get through this difficult time!

In Christ,

Cait

I grew up in a half-Protestant/half-Catholic household. I was raised in the Protestant Church. When I was younger I wanted to be Catholic and told my Protestant grandmother that - I did not convert until much later in life - actually after my grandmother passed away. My Catholic grandmother to this day is still unhappy I was not baptized in the Catholic Church even though I am in full communion with the Church and in formation for the SFO. I finally looked at her one day and told her I cried the whole time - but they wouldn’t stop the baptism.

The point of what I am saying is that the best thing you can do is handle things with a sense of humor. There comes a point with family where if they ask questions by all means answer them but ask them to respect your choices and find things that you have in common - such as maybe you can all do 40 days for life together, etc.

I would say that you should get a few apologetics books and read them. I like “The Catholic Verses.” Write little notes on the most frequent errors that Baptists make about the faith, and keep them near by for quick review. Don’t get into doctrinal debates however. If your family starts to pin you to the wall, just get out of there as quickly and politely as you can.

Have you written on other threads about how you came to believe in the Catholic Church as truth? I am always curious as to what an “outsider” sees in our faith, especially a Baptist since so many of them are virulently anti-Catholic. I figure it just HAS to be the Holy Spirit, but I’d love to hear your story.

[quote="w0231136, post:1, topic:225067"]

[/quote]

I also converted from being Baptist. My parents know that I will make the decisions I think are best for me and while they don't prefer my choice, they know no matter what they say I will do what I think is right. I even got them to come to Mass with me once so they would know there were no sacrificing of animals or anything. :p

My brother had a harder time accepting it, but that is his problem. He hasn't come up with a sound argument since I shared with him that we say the Creed every Sunday. I asked if he disagreed with anything in the Creed and he had nothing to come back with.

Good luck to you. Keep praying and if anyone really wants to know WHY you converted, tell them respectfully and without arguing. Maybe you can help break down the stereotypes from BOTH sides like I do. I still often feel caught in the middle, which is sad but true. It's a shame we can't all get along and work together as one. How much it must pain the heart of Jesus to see His children arguing so. I truly believe that converts like us can help bridge that gap.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.