Cool Tongue

Greetings,

One of my struggles revolves around vulgarity. What does the Bible and or Catholic Church say about this? I understand one is not to take the Lord’s name in vain (as per the Commandment), but does this only refer to certain vulgarity invoking God’s name, or does it apply to all vulgarity?

I don’t usually swear at home, it’s more so at work, and I think that’s a result of being around people who swear quite often, and just generally being under a lot of pressure and stress, with a tendency to lose my cool.

Does anyone else have an issue with this? How do you go about training yourself to not let your tongue slip? Is it a matter of learning to substitute words for similar words (e.g. darn, heck, shoot, etc?)

When I let my tongue slip, it’s an embarrasement to God, I know, and makes me look like a hypocrite, as it’s anything but Christ-like. :rolleyes:

I can’t think of any specific passages in the Bible relating to general vulgar speech, but it does mention frequently learning to control your tongue and refraining from speaking evil or unpleasant words. The general rule is, never say anything you wouldn’t say in front of your mother or your priest. :wink:

For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

1 Peter 3:10

I used to swear quite a lot myself a while ago, too, and it can be an occaisional problem even now. The thing that will work the most is the constant effort not to do it. Like any habit or pattern of behaviour it takes repeated actions over time to cement it. The more you try to re-train your behaviour the easier it’ll become, but it will take time.

The main things to be doing are praying more (always good advice :p) and learning to spot the signs when you’re just about to swear and detaching yourself from the urge to do it, by attempting to take a moment to calm down enough to regain self control. Learning self control is the key for a lot of different things.

Basically, keep doing small steps here and there to change your behaviour, be patient, and soon enough you’ll start to see some results. If possible, try to stay away from any situation or persons which you know will cause you to sin, too.

Swearing: it’s good for your health
news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090712/sc_livescience/swearingmakespainmoretolerable

oh and here is an article that explains the difference between swearing and vulgarities mark-shea.com/sav.html.

To me the sin in vulgarity depends on the company. If I say frack around a little old church lady who thinks it is a serious sin it might lead to her being scandalized and be a real uncharitable thing to say. If I drop the f bomb around a rough neck at work, not so much.

We are called to be pure in tongues as well as pure in heart. I don’t know the relevant verse, but it’s in there.

Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
Proverbs 4:24

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
Ephesians 5:1-4
But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.*
Colossians 3:8

One way to overcome a habit of bad language is to confess it and pray for help in overcoming it, while making an effort to avoid using profanity as far as possible. Over time you will find yourself using profanity less and less, and eventually it will be eliminated from your vocabulary.

You know I’ve always wondered about this as well. I’ve never been a swearer, and never really like it much when other do it. My brother is quite a swearer, I’d say, and my family does it occasionally when their mad, but I don’t really understand why people swear that much.
I can understand that it becomes a habit and everything, so I would avoid getting into that habit. I’m sure there are much better words to say that one can express himself equally as well.

I’ve heard a priest swear only once; it was saying using hell in the wrong context, like saying hell for the he** of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.