Coronavirus/Chastisement

Anyone else think this coronavirus is a chastisement? Did an (approved) Marian apparition say there would be one? It seems like something is taking place in the spiritual realm to me. (just my own feeling) What say you?

3 Likes

No.
Not that I recall.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it. God is just as well as merciful. Given the fact that for the past 50-70 years society has turned away from God, this is a wake-up call for everyone (especially me).

11 Likes

I don’t know, but I will tell you, that when this is all over, you’re going to find a lot more people at church, and a lot more people going to confession

8 Likes

Well, hopefully. 9/11 showed a brief surge in people getting back to some sense of faith, but as it “faded” from immediacy, we returned back to the “new normal”.

I tend not to go looking for some visionary who prophesies as to some chastisement. One could see it as such, but with the last count last week of 172 nations having experience up front and personal with the virus, I am inclined to thing that other matters are afoot.

And I generally try not to rely on “feelings” , as these are emotions, and are wont to wax and wane for no particular reason.

2 Likes

I want to say it’s more a slap on the wrist.

A re-centering or re-balancing of peoples beliefs, ideas and priorities regarding the meaning of life

I think it very well could be for all the evils this world has been accepting as “good”

From abortion to child sex changes, it goes on & on

7 Likes

I believe Our Lady told Sister Sasagowa in Akita that there was a great chastisement coming if man did not repent of their sins and turn Back to God and away from our sins. She also had another revelation not long ago, maybe December last year? Saying the chastisement was imminent. I haven’t followed up to see what the church has said about the new revelation. The first one is legit though, so not a whole lot of reason to doubt the second one.

4 Likes

More chastisement?
Again?
Still?
Even after someone was supposedly tortured and killed for their sins?
Is this chastisement ever supposed to end, or will it just keep going on and on and on?
Have you ever wondered:
If this god made people flawed, why would this god keep punishing people for being flawed?

5 Likes

This reasoning is like the westerised version of karma. If bad things are happening to others it’s karma but not if the bad things are happening to me.

I agree that secular society and even some Catholics are far too comfortable accepting abortion, same-sex marriage, transgenderism, contraception, divorce and remarriage, living together before marriage etc as things that are normal or even “nice”. Someone once said if these things do not make God mad then He owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology.

God is a God of mercy but He is also a God of Justice. If there is no justice in His actions then His mercy would be lacking. So, is this a chastisement? It certainly could be as it has happened many times before. And if it is a chastisement then it will be done because He loves us and wants to save us all. Always be ready to meet your maker because you never know what day you will be taken from this life. Know, love and serve God and you will be alright no matter what. God bless to all.

5 Likes

Jesus knows we are flawed and he loves us despite all of our flaws. He gave us the sacraments and the church to help our flawed natures rise to being the best we can. The sacrament of confession is extremely helpful. Go as often as you need to and graces will pour into your life. Its a wonderful gift. God bless!

1 Like

Sure it is, like all the tribulations we must face:

Hebrews 12:[4] For you have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: [5] And you have forgotten the consolation, which speaketh to you, as unto children, saying: My son, neglect not the discipline of the Lord; neither be thou wearied whilst thou art rebuked by him. [6] For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth; and he scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. [7] Persevere under discipline. God dealeth with you as with his sons; for what son is there, whom the father doth not correct? [8] But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are made partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons. [9] Moreover we have had fathers of our flesh, for instructors, and we reverenced them: shall we not much more obey the Father of spirits, and live? [10] And they indeed for a few days, according to their own pleasure, instructed us: but he, for our profit, that we might receive his sanctification. [11] Now all chastisement for the present indeed seemeth not to bring with it joy, but sorrow: but afterwards it will yield, to them that are exercised by it, the most peaceable fruit of justice.

Our Lord Jesus Christ gave us the means to become saints…if we pray and cooperate with Him.

… if we pray … if we cooperate with Him …

When God wants something to be done, that will be done.

When God wants to save us all, He takes care of the ifs and buts and saves us all.

THIS IS THE WAY AS FOLLOWS GOD TAKES CARE OF THE IFS AND BUTS

There is a supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul, which precedes the free act of the will, (De fide dogma).
Aquinas said, "God changes the will without forcing it . But he can change the will from the fact that he himself operates in the will as he does in nature,” De Veritatis 22:9. 31. ST I-II:112:3. 32. Gaudium et Spes 22; "being …
CCC 308 The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator.
God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes:
"For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Far from diminishing the creature’s dignity, this truth enhances it.
CCC 307 God thus enables men to be intelligent and free, causes in order to complete the work of creation, … Though often unconscious collaborators with God’s will, they can also enter deliberately into the divine plan by their actions…
St. Thomas teaches that all movements of will and choice must be traced to the divine will: and not to any other cause, because Gad alone is the cause of our willing and choosing. CG, 3.91.
As God Himself operates in our will, we don’t even have to know we are FREELY cooperating with His will.

AS WE SEE ABOVE, THE CHURCH DOGMATICALLY TEACHES.

CCC 2022; The divine initiative (supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul) in the work of grace precedes, prepares, and elicits the free response of man.
CCCS 1996-1998; This call to eternal life is supernatural, coming TOTALLY from God’s decision and surpassing ALL power of human intellect and will.

John 15:16; You did not chose Me, but I chose you.
We FREELY will what God wills us to will, and we FREELY do what God wills and causes us to do.

As God himself operates in our wills, we are freely cooperating with His graces, without even knowing it.

For Augustine says (De Civ. Dei v, 1) that the "Divine will or power is called fate.
But the Divine will or power is not in creatures, but in God. Therefore fate is not in creatures but in God.

The Divine will is cause of all things that happen, as Augustine says (De Trin. iii, 1 seqq.). Therefore all things are subject to fate.

The same is true for events in our lives. Relative to us they often appear to be by chance.
But relative to God, who directs everything according to his divine plan, nothing occurs by chance.

Hence if this divine influence stopped, every operation would stop.
Every operation, therefore, of anything is traced back to Him as its cause. (Summa Contra Gentiles, Book III.)
God bless

No, its not chastisement.

https://catholicleader.com.au/news/covid-19-is-not-gods-judgment-but-a-call-to-live-differently-pope-francis-says

Brett 1980. This is the Pope’s thought on this, which I respectfully disagree with. Just as I disagreed that JPII’s shooting was the 3rd sacred of Fatima. Let’s not forget the Vatican had a ceremony for an Idol, and they allowed a statue of Molech at the Colosseum, which was supposed to be removed at the end of March. My guess is, it is still sitting there.

3 Likes

And we are still waiting for the report on Theodore McCarrick which was promised in the early part of this year but seems to be conveniently forgotten at the moment.

2 Likes

bmaz, I have been a bit confused myself about some matters but I’m starting to open up to Pope Francis.

Here’s a link which explains the Amazonian statue, you will note that it says to some people (I assume some Amazonian Indigenous people’s) this represents Mary and its worth noting that there is more than one person in the statue:

I’m not sure about the Molech statue, maybe they are making a movie? Maybe its a historical exhibit?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.