Correct Postures for Good Friday Liturgy

What are the correct postures for Good Friday Liturgy (Ordinary Form), specifically during the adoration of the cross and from the “Behold the Lamb of God” through Communion.

The rubrics, as far as I can tell, do not say. I would assume that the people kneel after the Our Father (unless the Bishop has the people stand for the “Behold” at Mass). For the adoration of the cross, the people are last left standing (“Let us stand.”), though I would guess that the people should sit or kneel for practical reasons.

Are there any rubrical directives? Any place to look for ancient practice?

Thanks!

I don’t know if this would be useful to you, but I know in our parish, this liturgy has a special program printed that includes instruction on posture. So it’s helpful if you want to know what to do in the moment, but probably not so much if you need the information before then. :wink:

The last time I had the chance to go to a Good Friday service, the missals told us when to stand, sit or kneel but it has been some time since I last went to one.

I wonder, is there anything in the 1962 Missal that could be used to inform the Ordinary Form?

From the Roman Missal, Good Friday:

“18 For the Adoration of the Cross, first the Priest Celebrant alone approaches, with the chasuble and his shoes removed, if appropriate. Then the clergy, the lay ministers, and the faithful approach, moving as if in procession, …”.

“20. While the adoration of the Holy Cross is taking place, the antiphon … or other suitable chants are sung, during which all who have already adored the Cross remain seated.”

“THIRD PART
HOLY COMMUNION
22. A cloth is spread on the altar, and a corporal and the Missal put in place. Meanwhile the Deacon, or if there is no Deacon, the Priest himself, putting on a humeral veil, brings the Blessed Sacrament back from the place of repose to the altar by a shorter route, while all stand in silence.”

In the Roman Missal used in Australia, the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, n. 43, has a special instruction. “In Australia: …They are to kneel again after the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) until the distribution of Holy Communion. During the period of sacred silence after Communion, they may either sit or kneel.”

For this Good Friday ceremony there is no Lamb of God. So there is no cue to kneel. So remaining standing seems correct to me, at least in Australia.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.