Correlation between Prometheus and Jesus?

Please excuse me if this thread is in the wrong section, but nevertheless, is there any related between the story of Prometheus and Jesus? Prometheus stole fire from Zeus, just like Jesus destroyed death (Zeus) and gave it to humankind, right? There are many other things, like Prometheus having to endure the long mountain climb, and Jesus’ climb to Mt. Calvary, and Prometheus (whose name means ‘foresight’) having known his fate just like Jesus did? Am I just imagining things, or is there a real correlation between these two people?

Well I had a formal debate with someone who advocated. that there was a relation between Jesus and Prometheus. To see the arguments, just clik here :

The story of Jesus is not a fabrication of the story of Prometheus

I hope this helps

God bless :slight_smile:

I’m particularly fond of this blog’s view of similarities between Christ’s life and pagan myth:

patheos.com/blogs/badcatholic/2012/08/a-pagan-prophecy.html

No.

There is nothing resembling Jesus in the story of Prometheus. Stealing fire from Zeus is not in any way similar to destroying death. And Zeus is not associated with death. I really can’t see where you are getting some sort of likeness between them other than randomly assigning your own meaning to words and people.

Again, these are not at all similar.

Foresight and foreknowledge are not the same thing, let alone foresight and omniscience. And the etymology is dubious here.

I would have to say, definitely yes, you are imagining things.

And, Prometheus is not a person. He is a mythological character.

Nothing in the stories of Prometheus are in any way similar to Jesus.

Zues was not assocated with death, but his brother Hades. :bounce::wave::knight2:

I also read something from CCC 843 saying, "The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as “a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.” Couldn’t this story just be a preparation for what was to come? I am not insinuating that the Passion of Jesus was a fabrication from this story, but saying that this story could be sort of a “type” for Jesus.

And, if this story were a type for Jesus, Zeus would have to be the Devil. Let me remind you that Zeus was not infinitely powerful, but rather just the king of kings.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: All of these so-called “correlations” between Jesus and mytholoical gods and heros of other societies have been refuted and proven false many times before.

-Chris

Um, no, because the Prometheus story has nothing to do with Jesus. It shares no Truth with mankind.

I don’t think you understand what an archetype is. And, randomly assigning Zeus = Devil or Prometheus = Jesus is not logical. It’s pretty random and not at all convincing. Why are you trying to hard to make a link where there just isn’t any? Why Prometheus while we are at it? Not exactly a highly venerated member of the Greek pantheon.

Please let me emphasize this quote,

" Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as “a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.”

I am not randomly assigning Zeus as the devil. In fact, the only reason why I am doing this because my English teacher, at the seminary I go to, gave us a project on the comparison of Jesus and Prometheus. If I got this out of somewhere Catholic, there has to be some truth behind it.

1ke, you are not basing your answers off real evidence. Please only refute if you give solid proof. Your “refutations” seem quite legalistic and don’t give an open mind to what God has offered us in love.

“Prometheus
name of the Titan who stole fire from heaven and was punished for it, from Gk. Prometheus, lit. “forethinker, foreseer,” from pro- (see pro-) + *methos, from PIE root *men- “to think” (see mind (n.)).” etymonline.com/index.php?search=Prometheus

Facite I think you are trying to force the issue here. There is absolutely NO correlation between Jesus and Prometheus. None whatsoever.

I urge you to present your most compelling “similarities” or correlations between the 2 stories and I’ll prove to you with evidence that the two stories and completely different :thumbsup:

Augh, this is an English assignment, not a history or theology one. So accuracy in comparisons (since there is no comparison) is not as important as grammar and style of your paper. I see…:wink:

Perhaps you can share your final draft with us after it is graded?

-Chris

Jesus gave death to humankind? Do you mean life?

Where is the link between Zeus and death, or fire?

This is a very weak link.

“The most significant detail added to the myth found in, e.g., Sappho, Plato, Aesop and Ovid — was the central role of Prometheus in the creation of the human race. According to these sources, Prometheus fashioned humans out of clay.” Wiki-pedia

The History channel is saturated with this type of drival now.

No correlation, but how about similarities? I find that it seems like I am being attacked just for finding similarities between two stories… There is no harm in doing so…

Relation Between Prometheus and Jesus

(Note: This does not prove that the story of Jesus was a fabrication from ancient myths;
rather these ancient stories help pave a way as a preparation for the Gospel).

-“Prometheus descended from heaven as a deitious being in order to give mankind fire and was punished for doing so by Zeus. Jesus descended from heaven as a deitious being in order to give mankind New Rules and was punished for doing so by the community. The community then crucified him, but forgave the sins of man.”

-Prometheus was also “crucified” on a rock for stealing fire from Zeus, just as like Jesus was punished for giving life to the mortals. Jesus was taunted during his Passion, but nevertheless, he still endured, and while Prometheus was on the rock, a bird took out his liver, but it always came back afterwards (symbolic of not being able to be totally defeated).

-Prometheus had to endure a long hike up the mountain, just as Jesus climbed Mt. Calvary to redeem life for his people.

-Prometheus knew of his fate, (his name means ‘foresight’), just as Jesus knew that he was going to die for the sake of people from the moment of his birth.

From my understanding of Greek mythology, Prometheus would be more analogous to Adam than Jesus. If you are not aware, Prometheus’ action actually inspired Zeus to make the first woman from clay — get this - as a punishment to man.:eek:

Blessings,
Marduk

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.