Corrupted morals in family: how to stop it!

I feel very powerless in a situation where I’m basically watching my 16 yo neice ruin her life.

Its not her fault, its my sister in laws fault. Every since my niece was a little girl my sil has been teaching her the ways of the world in regards with boys. Dressing her seductively and educating her about things like kissing etc. Now that my niece is 16, my sil mentioned that she would like to put her on birth control. She said it would be nice if she could meet someone because she thought that it would be good if my niece could have a relationship, just so she could have someone to have sex with! I don’t even remember what I said, but my sil responded by saying that all the girls are doing it! Both my sil and brother are fallen away Catholics.

Well, now my niece has a boyfriend and I believe my sil and brother let the boy sleep over their house last night. It’s a long story how I know this, but I know.

I don’t have a close relationship with my niece, so I have no sway in her decisions. I can’t confront my sil because she can’t deal with any criticism and freaks out if you tell her anything and I’m trying to preserve my relationship with them which has always been on shaky ground. But if I don’t say anything, would that be morally evil?

What would you do? What is my responsibility in this? I need to approach this prudently.

This is a terrible situation but one that is common these days.

Since I don’t know you or your family, I can’t give specific advice. However, I know this for certain. The first thing you should do is pray, then you should make expiation for the sins of your brother and sister in law, then you should take action. If I were you, I’d start praying the Rosary every day for your niece. I’d also consider offering up some small sacrifice for the conversion of your brother and sister in law. Then I’d consider talking with your brother about the situation. Since they’re lapsed Catholics, it might be best to address the issue of sin indirectly by first talking about your niece’s welfare and immaturity etc. I wouldn’t downplay the moral dangers, but I think your words will have greater effect if you focus on the psychological impact.

One more thing. Try not to lose your peace. You’re not in a position of authority where you can control what happens in your niece’s life. Pray especially to Our Blessed Lady and to your niece’s guardian angel. This battle will be won on the spiritual level. I have a feeling that the Lord placed you in your family because he wants you to pray for them and evangelise through your example. Live a holy and happy life and I’m sure they’ll be edified by your example.

I’m praying for your niece. The person above me gave some really good advice. May God bless your family. Let us all pray for our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith.

Thank you so much for your advise and prayers. I prayed the rosary for her today and will continue to pray for her.

Your posts have really given more peace on this and I’m very grateful for them.

God bless you.

Praying for you & your family.

You guys are riding two different wavelengths. Do not bother mentioning or arguing with them on what you think is right or wrong. They won’t agree or see it. They will accuse of you being judgmental and disengage from your accompany. These are all my assumptions. I don’t think you can stop people from acting in ways you do not like. Simply, pray for them. Do not worry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.