COTT and saying "Amen"

I started receiving on the tongue just a few weeks ago and I am finding it difficult to say “Amen” properly after the priest says “Body of Christ,” for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that it always seems like by the time the priest finishes saying “Body of Christ” he has already got the Host a few inches away from my mouth and moving closer and I have very little time in which to say Amen and stick my tongue out properly. The other reason is that I get overwhelmed being so close to Jesus and about to receive Him and so when I try to say it, it comes out indistinct or inaudible.

This morning I tried to say it but it wasn’t really audible, and as I was receiving the Host, the server holding the paten said “Amen” rather loudly. I felt like I had been corrected while receiving Communion. Maybe I am overreacting because I am struggling with illness right now and other things, but I just want to know, has anyone had this difficulty? If so, what did you do?

Don’t worry, it will all come together in time, you’re still new at doing this.

When I first started receiving on the tongue, I encountered what you did, and I learned to stand back just a little further (maybe a step), and once he said, “The body of Christ”, I would step closer, say Amen, and receive.

I have somewhat of a phobia about anything coming near my face, and doing it the way I described allows me to deal with that, and get “Amen” out in an appropriate manner.

Give it a shot.

I have been trying to convert myself to receiving on the tongue; this has been a challenge. I like most have been receiving on the hand for most of my life. I am dealing with it and I will get used to it.

The reason I made the change is because i feel like we have been lead astray in the US. I had no idea that the normal way to receive in the entire Church, except the US, is on the tongue. The diocese of the US requested and was granted an indult to go “against” the norm. This has been the case for some thirty or so years, not sure of exact numbers.

Until recently I had never been told this. This bothers me; all this time I thought it was the ultra conservative movement in the Church trying to force us to comply with their conservative ways. What a surprise to learn a few short months ago that this was in fact totally opposite of the truth.

Anyway, I tend to say my “Amen” then extend my tongue. This seems to work well.

Only receive from the priest and don’t say Amen any more, that’s what I do…

In the case of the OF that would be a liturgical innovation.

I don’t believe that.

From the GIRM (bolding mine)

1. If Communion is given only under the species of bread, the priest raises the host slightly
    and shows it to each, saying, Corpus Christi (The Body of Christ). The communicant replies, Amen, and receives the Sacrament either on the tongue or, where this is allowed and if the communicant so chooses, in the hand. As soon as the communicant receives the host, he or she consumes it entirely.

it is part of the rubrics in the OF as posted above

also our parish pastor reiterated this fact. he said he cannot give communion to someone who doesn’t respond “Amen”

I’ve had the same issue. A few times, I’ve been so awestruck at the idea of communion that I forgot to open my mouth. :o Last week, our new rector (who is very, very, very orthodox), said “Corpus Christi.” I wasn’t expecting that, so of course I just froze. :blush:

The priest should wait for your answer of “Amen” before he gives you communion. If he doesn’t, I just say “Amen” after receiving.

Don’t worry about the server. He’s trying to ensure that you do the right thing, maybe a little over-enthusiastically. Really, it should be the priest or EMHC who is actually administering communion who asks you to say “amen” if you fail to. I’ve never had a priest do that, but have seen several EMHCs do it. They are trained to do so, I guess.

How can you say Amen when the Host is in your mouth? You must chew and swallow a lot faster than I do!

:slight_smile: I think you came into the Church around the same time I did (Easter Vigil?). Let’s pray to God that the awe does not fade away but only deepens over time.

If you receive in the EF, no need to say “Amen.” The priest (or deacon) has already said it for you.

How can you say Amen when the Host is in your mouth? You must chew and swallow a lot faster than I do!

I kind of move the host to the side of my mouth. I don’t chew and swallow until I’m back in the pew. I tried consuming while walking once and my knees got all wobbly.

I think you came into the Church around the same time I did (Easter Vigil?). Let’s pray to God that the awe does not fade away but only deepens over time.

Yes, Easter Vigil. I’ve been to Mass every day since. I pray every day for more faith, more trust, more belief, more love of God. He’s answering every day, too. :smiley:

I know! It’s so much easier and I wish they hadn’t changed it. But there are no daily EF Masses around here.

in the past i’ve had the Priest place the Host in my mouth while i was saying “Amen”

sometimes you don’t need to make it very audible, but the priest or minister would be able to lip read you said Amen

Ah, I misunderstood your ‘normal’ to mean ‘usual’. I see now you meant normative. Yes, nobody would deny that CITH is an indult .

Regarding the Pope ; he has only stipulated that people receiving directly from him do so kneeling and on the tongue. Other people at Papal Masses receive how they choose, as televised Masses have shown, and how other posters who have attended Papal Masses have reported. The Pope hasn’t said that all have to receive COTT.

With all the bowing and genuflecting and standing aside going on around me as I approach the priest, I get distracted in all the congestion at the OF and often forget to say the “Amen.” It would help if they allowed a pause or provide a communion rail.

The universal norm of the Church is kneeling on the tongue, receiving in the hand is an indult. And yes the Pope only gives communion to those kneeling and receiving on the tongue, as you can see at the links below:

youtube.com/watch?v=A3zHpo3gtN0

youtube.com/watch?v=TBps9wpc0QE

the norm in the Latin Church is such

if you say “universal norm” then it would encompass the entirety of the Catholic Church. the other Rites do not have kneeling for communion

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.