Could a Jesuit or Benedictine work in a Mental Hospital?

If I were to be a Jesuit or Benedictine order priest (or priest and monk for the latter), could I work in a Mental Hospital as a Psychiatrist/Psychotherapist or Researcher as well as doing my duties? I know that both orders are given time to teach and write, but I don’t know about doing work in a hospital et al.

[quote="Pieman333272, post:1, topic:239671"]
If I were to be a Jesuit or Benedictine order priest (or priest and monk for the latter), could I work in a Mental Hospital as a Psychiatrist/Psychotherapist or Researcher as well as doing my duties? I know that both orders are given time to teach and write, but I don't know about doing work in a hospital et al.

[/quote]

There are nursing orders of brothers--Alexian Brothers, Hospitallers--who work in hospitals and homes. I am sure that these communities include those trained in psychiatry. The designation of 'brother' does not connote anything regarding intelligence or schooling--it is designation of the vocation.

[quote="bigquests, post:2, topic:239671"]
There are nursing orders of brothers--Alexian Brothers, Hospitallers--who work in hospitals and homes. I am sure that these communities include those trained in psychiatry. The designation of 'brother' does not connote anything regarding intelligence or schooling--it is designation of the vocation.

[/quote]

Oh yes, I have nothing against the good Brothers of any order from an intellectual standpoint. I simply feel more called to be a Priest or Priest and Monk than a Brother or Monk alone. But thank you for the information nonetheless!

[quote="Pieman333272, post:1, topic:239671"]
If I were to be a Jesuit or Benedictine order priest (or priest and monk for the latter), could I work in a Mental Hospital as a Psychiatrist/Psychotherapist or Researcher as well as doing my duties?

[/quote]

Typically monks don't work outside their monastery, to which they make a vow of stability, although there are some exceptions to this.

Friars such as Franciscans, Carmelites and Dominicans routinely work outside their houses, and friars can be ordained if the community thinks they are suitable for clerical formation.

Jesuits are typically ordained (although a minority of their men are coadjutor brothers) and often pursue a secondary career in a professional field.

I've known psychologists and therapists who were Jesuits and others who were friars. The important proviso to add here is that although religious are consulted about their calling to different types of ministry, obviously they do not have complete freedom to choose as they will, and are of course subject to religious obedience.

I wanted to point out if you wanted to be a psychiatrist, you would be best advised to attend medical school (since psychiatrists are physicians) before entering an order, since most communities would not have the funds to support such an expensive endeavor (i.e. sending someone medical school), and you would already be under a vow of poverty (that is, if you are already within the order).

Yes, it would be possible. BUT, that would be up to the leaders of your community, NOT up to you. That's where the vow of Obedience comes into play.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.