Could anyone recommend a good history of the Catholic Church

The title says it all. Were there any (preferably concise) books detailing that history of the Catholic Church that you've found particularly informative or instructive? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you are looking for a shorter book I would recommend "The Catholic Church through the Ages" Its about 300 pages and has an excellent recommended reading section so its a good place to get started.

If you are looking for something a bit thicker I would suggest "Triumph:The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church" It is a VERY Pro-Catholic history but I like it like that lol.

While not a concise History I also greatly recommend "Seven Lies about Catholic History" It exposes some of the more common historical claims that make the Church look bad as the falsehoods they are.

All of these are easily found on Amazon and arent that much.

I know these are not concise but I have found them to be among the best history books regarding the Church. They are written from a Catholic point of view.

They are William H. Carrol's History of Christendom series. The first one is Founding of Christendom, second one, building of Christendom and so on. Just google and you can find them.

I'd recommend "Triumph:The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church." I've read it twice. Very well written.

[quote="Redbaron998, post:2, topic:246606"]
If you are looking for a shorter book I would recommend "The Catholic Church through the Ages" Its about 300 pages and has an excellent recommended reading section so its a good place to get started.

If you are looking for something a bit thicker I would suggest "Triumph:The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church" It is a VERY Pro-Catholic history but I like it like that lol.

While not a concise History I also greatly recommend "Seven Lies about Catholic History" It exposes some of the more common historical claims that make the Church look bad as the falsehoods they are.

All of these are easily found on Amazon and arent that much.

[/quote]

If you are looking for something a bit thicker I would suggest "Triumph:The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church" It is a VERY Pro-Catholic history but I like it like that.

[/quote]

I would also strongly recommend Triumph.

I promise, you'll love this site rev-know-it-all.com/2010/2010---11-14.html

I stumbled upon it sometime ago and have been following Rev. Know-It-All's weekly topic since. If you like tongue-in-cheek, no-nonsense, old-school Catholic Priesting, then you'll really like his 27-part series on the "History of the Hootenannie Mass". (The Last Supper up to the present).

Enjoy, :)

Glennonite

Oo.

The Compact History of the Catholic Church
by Alan Schreck

Short, easy, simple, informative, and joyfully Catholic. It sounds perfect for what you want.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm definitely going to check out Triumph and The Compact History of the Catholic Church. I'm glad you guys decided to pitch in, because I absolutely would not have known where to start. Thanks again!

[quote="Mungling, post:1, topic:246606"]
The title says it all. Were there any (preferably concise) books detailing that history of the Catholic Church that you've found particularly informative or instructive? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

[/quote]

Dear Mungling,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

Try Monsignor Philip Hughes standard work, A Popular History of the Catholic Church (Burns & Oates, 1958). It is probably out of print now, but you can probably track down a copy in the secondhand book religious book dealers.

Whilst it is erudite it is also readable and unbiased. Hughes was a distinguished historian who was renowned for his indefatigable industry and omnivorous appetite for exploration. Do hope you manage to secure a copy, dear friend.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax

amazon.com/Story-Church-Founding-Progress-Textbook/dp/089555156X

I have an original 1930’s copy. This is a reprint. Very historical - it does not read like a novel.

I have read most of the works recommended and agree that they are very good, each in their own way. But I would like to add another book that is excellent and a bit different - especially if you are interested in a more complete and balanced point of view.

It is the (high school-level) text, "The History of the Church: A Complete Course" in the Didache Series. It is published by the Midwest Theological Forum which is associated with Opus Dei. It is large (over 800 pages), very well illustrated (great artwork), naturally not cheap (about $50) and available at Amazon. If you are serious about learning history and having a very good, relatively complete reference in one volume, it is hard to beat.

Why Do Catholics Do That? by Kevin Orlin Johnson.

If you are looking for something a little on the heavy side, I recommend The Science Before Science: A guide to Thinking in the 21st Century, by Dr. Anthony Rizzi.

[/quote]

I have this book and was alittle irked that the author claimed that Christ died at approximately age 30, when traditionally it is known that he died at age 33. This is what the book says on page 11 "we can conclude with confidence that Christ ws born sometime between 6 BC and 1 AD, and that he died sometime between 30 and 33 AD -- a life time of approximately thirty years."

Being that I am not well-versed in Catholic history it made me wonder if there are other revisions that I am not aware of in the book due to my ignorance of Catholic Church history. What do you think about this Redbaron?

God bless

For an easy read, try How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.

Can someone suggest a non-biased one? I'd love to know the connection between how Jesus founded the church. But not from the point of view of a catholic. One that is fair and unbiased.

[/quote]

"The Holy Bible" by God.

Particularly the Gospels and Acts.

:D

[quote="JenniferB, post:16, topic:246606"]
Can someone suggest a non-biased one? I'd love to know the connection between how Jesus founded the church. But not from the point of view of a catholic. One that is fair and unbiased.

[/quote]

Oh, by all means, be fair and unbiased!

[/quote]

Try this:

amazon.com/History-Church-Constantine-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140445358/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311017646&sr=8-3

It's the grandaddy of Catholic history books:D From Jesus to Constantine. Everything's backed up with primary sources:thumbsup:

[quote="JenniferB, post:16, topic:246606"]

[/quote]

Here's one up until the Great Schism:

amazon.com/History-Christian-Church-Until-Schism/dp/141847326X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311017953&sr=8-1

Written by an Orthodox and professedly "unbiased." There is no such thing as an unbiased history:nope: The writer seemingly takes great pains to be objective though, so this one's probably as close as they come.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.