Could I do this?

I have heard that green scapulars can be hidden in peoples beds, cupboards, briefcases etc in order to stronger attract them to God.

Is this true? Would I be able to get a non-believeing family member to purchase one for herself and put it somewhere? I pray everyday for her soul and for God to have mercy and somehow reach out to her and need something powerful :)

Asking for me mama :o

Blessed religious items are a physical thing that help keep us aware of our need for God.

They hold no special "power". They are not magical.

They are sacramentals - a small reminder of the graces we receive through the Sacraments.

The Holy Spirit will act in the life of your relative when the time is right.

Until then, continue in your prayer for that person. :)

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:1, topic:216218"]
I have heard that green scapulars can be hidden in peoples beds, cupboards, briefcases etc in order to stronger attract them to God.

Is this true? Would I be able to get a non-believeing family member to purchase one for herself and put it somewhere? I pray everyday for her soul and for God to have mercy and somehow reach out to her and need something powerful :)

Asking for me mama :o

[/quote]

Absolutely! Get one for your mom, have it blessed, (hide it or give it to her), then pray "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.".

Of course, you must believe in this devotion for it to work and Mother Mary will do the rest!:)

Here is some info that might be of help to you:

Green Scapular
Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul (Paulists)
A.D. 1840

In 1840, Mary appeared to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu (a Seminary Sister of the Daughters of Charity) in Paris, France and commended the Green Scapular to her. It's known as "the Scapular of Conversion," and its promises are the strengthening of faith, protection against Satan, a happy death for Catholics, and, most of all, for conversion for those outside the Church. It's to be worn or carried by the faithful, or given to an unbeliever for their conversion. The following prayer is to be said daily by the wearer:

Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death

Latin version:
Cor immaculatum Mariae, ora pro nobis nunc et in hora mortis nostrae 

If the scapular is given to an unbeliever for their conversion, the person giving the scapular prays the prayer for them if the unbeliever does not want to pray the prayer himself. If the unbeliever does not want the scapular, it may be hidden in their vicinity and the prayers said for him. Enrollment in a Confraternity is not necessary for this scapular, but the scapular should be blessed by a priest before use.

fisheaters.com/scapulars.html#green

Ten years after the manifestation of the Miraculous Medal to Sister Catherine Labouré in 1830, the Blessed Mother entrusted the Green Scapular of the Immaculate Heart to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu, likewise a Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul.

The manner of using the Scapular was indicated by the Blessed Virgin. Since it is not the badge of a confraternity but simply a double image attached to a single piece of cloth and suspended from a cord, investiture is not required. It suffices that it be blessed by a priest and worn by one for whom it is intended. It may be placed in the clothing, on the bed, or simply in the room.

fatima.org/essentials/requests/grnscapleaf.asp

You can receive a free green scapular here (although a donation is appreciated):

How do I obtain Green Scapulars or send in prayer requests for the Society newsletter?

To request prayers especially for a person or intention, send in all appropriate information. People do not need to be members to request prayers or be prayed for. For Green Scapulars, request as many as you need. We ask only that you use all of them and not keep them unused in a purse or a drawer. Some send an offering to offset costs or help the work of the Society. Others send a thanksgiving donation instead, after obtaining their request. While donations are always appreciated they are never necessary.

greenscapular.com/

This smacks of superstition and I don't think you should do it. Just like when people bury a statue or figurine of St. Joseph to sell a house- superstitious beliefs cheapen the power of prayer and faith in God. :twocents:

[quote="kib, post:5, topic:216218"]
This smacks of superstition and I don't think you should do it. Just like when people bury a statue or figurine of St. Joseph to sell a house- superstitious beliefs cheapen the power of prayer and faith in God. :twocents:

[/quote]

I second this. The scapular doesn't have any powers. It's not going to do anything. But your prayer will - Continue your prayers!

[/quote]

I think it's apples and oranges to compare scapulars and burying statues. Let me explain:

I think that scapulars are the same as any other blessed item: any goodness, any 'power' comes from God, not from the object itself. But, God in his wisdom knows that sometimes we humans need something 'tangible', and through the Church, we have been given such: holy water, blessed salt, blessed rosaries, scapulars, etc.

All of these are blessings are meant to be used for our benefit. Could they be used wrongly? Of course, if the user forgets the Originator of the blessing. But the fact that something could be misused shouldn't relegate it to the "superstition" heap. After all, even the Eucharist can be misused. :(

Please also note that scapulars in general have been approved and even indulgenced by Popes. The green scapular in particular was approved by Pope Pius IX in 1863 and again in 1870: "Write to these good Sisters that I authorize them to make and distribute it."

If someone isn't comfortable with a certain devotion, be it the rosary, scapulars, or any other approved devotion, of course that's fine, and no one is forced to participate ... but please don't say that approved devotions are superstitious ... I don't think that's charitable toward your brothers & sisters.:o

Thanks for reading :)

I have and wear scapulars, I don’t think they are superstitious- hiding one in a person’s belongings or home definitely implies that the scapular has some sort of power to convert a person.

[quote="kib, post:8, topic:216218"]
I have and wear scapulars, I don't think they are superstitious- hiding one in a person's belongings or home definitely implies that the scapular has some sort of power to convert a person.

[/quote]

Kib, I'm asking this in all charity & sincerity :): why is wearing one any different than placing one in someone's home? Wouldn't the idea be the same in both cases: prayer requesting God's grace and power to be poured out upon the wearer/bearer?

[quote="kib, post:8, topic:216218"]
I have and wear scapulars, I don't think they are superstitious- hiding one in a person's belongings or home definitely implies that the scapular has some sort of power to convert a person.

[/quote]

Nobody here is claiming that just putting a scapular in a person's belongings will magically convert him. The important thing is the associated prayers and devotions which the scapular symbolizes.

Morwenna thank you for all that information!

I understand the Scapular is not magical - I wear one myself (Brown). I just want to do it for the reasons highlighted above. I really have trouble seeing myself happy in heaven without my mama, and since the only thing I can do is ask God for her conversion, then I want to do anything in my power to help her along the way by the mercy of God and the help of Our Lady!

[/quote]

The Green Scapular has been twice approved by Pope Pius IX. It is a GIFT from Mother Mary. We should ALL be so thankful for it!

To the OP..do not hesitate to purchase one for your mother. I recently purchased 10 for family and friends. :) Have faith in Our Lady! :)

[quote="Morwenna, post:9, topic:216218"]
Kib, I'm asking this in all charity & sincerity :): why is wearing one any different than placing one in someone's home? Wouldn't the idea be the same in both cases: prayer requesting God's grace and power to be poured out upon the wearer/bearer?

[/quote]

Wearing one out of personal devotion is completely different than hiding one in a person's home. Looks like the best we can do is agree to disagree.

[quote="dailey, post:12, topic:216218"]
The Green Scapular has been twice approved by Pope Pius IX. It is a GIFT from Mother Mary. We should ALL be so thankful for it!

[/quote]

Obviously? Notice I said that I own and wear this sacramental in faith.

[quote="kib, post:14, topic:216218"]
Obviously? Notice I said that I own and wear this sacramental in faith.

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "obviously"?:shrug: Anyways, you can pick and choose what you want to believe..as for me, i put all my faith into this devotion (as well as many others). :)

[quote="dailey, post:15, topic:216218"]
Not sure what you mean by "obviously"?:shrug: Anyways, you can pick and choose what you want to believe..as for me, i put all my faith into this devotion (as well as many others). :)

[/quote]

No kidding, so do I. I will say for the third time that I wear a scapular and strongly believe in the power of scarmaentals. I just don't believe in superstitious practices. I don't pick and choose when it comes to the Catholic faith, I believe every doctrine.

Lets just rest the issue knowing that I think that hiding a scapular near a person or on/ in their property is a stupid superstition while you and several others see it at as a legitimate, pious act. That is good enough for me.

[quote="kib, post:16, topic:216218"]
No kidding, so do I. I will say for the third time that I wear a scapular and strongly believe in the power of scarmaentals. I just don't believe in superstitious practices. I don't pick and choose when it comes to the Catholic faith, I believe every doctrine.

Lets just rest the issue knowing that I think that hiding a scapular near a person or on/ in their property is a stupid superstition while you and several others see it at as a legitimate, pious act. That is good enough for me.

[/quote]

How nice of you to let us rest the case leaving it at you calling us stupid and superstitious.

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:17, topic:216218"]
How nice of you to let us rest the case leaving it at you calling us stupid and superstitious.

[/quote]

Let me rephrase: Let's agree to disagree.

[quote="kib, post:18, topic:216218"]
Let me rephrase: Let's agree to disagree.

[/quote]

No problem :)

But now I don't know what to do and scrupulous conscience is forming over the matter! Aaah :(

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:19, topic:216218"]
No problem :)

But now I don't know what to do and scrupulous conscience is forming over the matter! Aaah :(

[/quote]

Have you asked your priest or submitted the question in the ask an apologist forum?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.