Could I have been excommunicated for defending abortion online?

Hi everyone. There have been a few times in the past where I switched over to the liberal side of things and actually defended abortion online. Was I excommunicated for doing so? I have confessed these sins and presumably any excommunication was absolved but I am just curious as to whether or not a person is excommunicated for defending abortion.

Can. 1398 A person who actually procures an abortion incurs a latae sententiae excommunication.

CCC 2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. “A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae, by the very commission of the offense,” and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

No. Direct participation is required to incur excommunication.

Even politicians that vote for pro-abortion laws are not generally considered excommunicate, just in mortal sin.

God Bless

What about procurement of an abortion prior to conversion?

If you are not a Catholic, you can’t be excommunicated. It’s a canonical penalty.

If you were never Baptized, baptism would absolve the sin of abortion.

If you were baptized, you’d go to confession before your entrance into the Church.

God Bless

Ok thank you everyone. :slight_smile:

Just a side note. I do truly and totally regret having defended abortion online because I know that abortion is a horribly travesty and is murder. I have confessed my sin.

I, too, before my conversion supported abortion.

Confessing those sins when I came into the Church brought great healing to me.

Now all anyone has to do is look at my post history and they know how much I now hate the murder of children. Yet another sign of my complete conversion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.