Could it be possible that I shouldn't be going to daily mass?

Eight years ago I stopped going to daily mass and I’ve been trying unsuccessfuly since to get back in the habit. Mainly the failures were due to scheduling problems or parishes that don’t offer daily mass. Now I’m a junior in college and lucky enough to be able to go to daily mass every day if I so choose (that is, it works out fine with my schedule).
Last thursday I finally took the liberty to go out and do it. I arrived and as I was sitting there I had a really strange uncomfortable feeling the whole time. Bad luck struck and everything that could’ve gone wrong did. First I got so hot that I was sweating bullets. Then I started coughing insaitiably with a very dry throat. Then I nearly fell asleep during the consecration (I know, it’s terrible but it’s true). The etiquette of the parish chaple is strange and I didnt even have the courage to go to communion because I didn’t know their customs (and still don’t, for that matter!) Anyway, I left feeling ackward and embarassed and not really in the mood to go back. I went back a few times since but bad luck always follows me there. I know this is going to sound ridiculous but could it be possible that I shouldn’t be going there at all? Maybe God has other things planned for me than this? I can hear the laughter from sceptics already… But I seriously am considering never returning to that campus chaple for daily mass again.

It sounds more likely you had an anxiety attack and then got tired.

Remember that there’s only one being who would want you to stay away from Mass. A similar experience occurred with my parents. My dad was about to go to Confession and it started to rain hard; he usually doesn’t drive when it’s raining unless he has to. He wanted to go to Confession, regardless, and on the way to the Church, he got into a car accident. My mom, before going to Church one day, started to have horrible pains and started to rock back and forth, chanting “So cold…so cold…” Satan doesn’t want you to spend time with God at the Mass; he’s afraid of it. He hates it.

I think you should go to Mass whenever you can and try to combat these feelings. Do you pray the rosary? Maybe you could do that before Mass begins, asking for comfort.

When some thing happens to me out of the ordinary, I check if its the devil or and angel of God.Satan want me to do some things; and my good angel wants me to do some things.
Its the same thing with reading, studying, or prayers. Its not easy getting started.
There is a God and there is a devil. They both are interested in us. Going to daily Mass is a wonderful experience and its more personal, and when you believe that at the time of consecration, the priest is really Jesus; Jesus is actually offering to His heavenly Father His body and blood as He did at the last supper. We receive a lot of graces when we communicate.
What gave me the idea about this is that you listened to the devill and didn’t communicate,
didn’t receive the precious body and blood of the Lord.
Go for it!!!
My favorite prayer
OUR LADY OF LOURDES NOVENA

DAILY NOVENA PRAYER

O Blessed Virgin Mary, our Mother, inspired by the knowledge that no one who ever sought your help was left unanswered, I come to you now fully confident that you will hear my plea. So I humbly ask you to grant my petition. (Here please mention your intentions.) Grant me, too, the grace to imitate your virtues and persevere in a good christian life. Amen.

Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.

1st. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, your appearances at Lourdes were part of God’s plan for you. At Lourdes as at Nazareth, you were His hand-maid, ready to do whatever pleased Him.

Teach me your loving acceptance of the divine will. May I be a true servant of the Lord, generous in doing all that pleases Him.

Graciously intercede for me before His throne. Obtain for me, if it be His holy Will, the favors and blessings I recommend to your motherly heart. (Here mention your special intentions.)

Hail Mary.full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb., Jesus
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinner now and at the hour of our death … Amen

2nd.Day

Dear Blessed Mother, you open your hands at Lourdes to bestow God’s gift upon His children and yours. Through you He shows His kindness from generation to generation. He fills the hungry with good things. He helps His servants, mindful of His mercy.

Teach me, O Mary, to imitate His loving kindness by sharing my blessings with others.

Pray for me in the presence of Christ your Son. Open your heart to secure for me the graces I need. (Here mention your special intentions.)

Hail Mary

3rd. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, Christian pilgrims love to visit Lourdes, where you appeared eighteen times to St. Bernadette. They know that at Cana you reminded Jesus of the wedding guests’ lack of wine. You are always motherly, always attentive to your children’s needs.

Speak to your dear Son for me as you do for all who kneel in your sanctuary at Lourdes.

Tell Jesus about my needs, my faults, my difficulties. (Here mention your special intentions.) May your gracious intercession win these blessings for me. Amen.

Hail Mary

4th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, your last recorded words in Scripture were spoken to the attendants at Cana’s marriage feast: “Do whatever He tells you.” Their obedience won for them the miracle needed.

Help me, dear Mother, to do whatever Christ wills for me through His law, His church, and daily events of life. Show me how to set His will above mine at all times.

Again I place my petitions before you. (Name them one by one.) May your divine Son grant my requests for your sake.

Hail Mary

5th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, at the grotto of Lourdes you said to the little French peasant saint, “I am the Immaculate Conception.” through the Lord’s goodness and mercy you were entirely free from all stain of sin from the first moment of your existence.

Blessed be God for this great marvel He has done for you!

I know He will do great things for me, too, although my sins make me unworthy of His favors. Please pray to Him for me. (Here mention your special intentions).

Hail Mary

6th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, you told St. Bernadette at Lourdes: “I do not promise to make you happy in this world, but in the next.” You taught her that the sorrowful mysteries of earth must precede the glorious mysteries of heaven.

May I always remember this lesson, dear Mother. May I carry my cross with patience and love, after your example and with your help.

You know all the sorrowful mysteries of my life. Please speak to Jesus about them. (Here mention your prayer intentions.)

Hail Mary

7th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, your motherly care will continue until all the elect are safely home in our heavenly fatherland. At Lourdes you always show yourself a compassionate Mother, easing human burdens and comforting human distress.

I know your kindness is not limited to that hallowed spot. The whole earth is full of your mercy and love.

With confidence, then, I lay my special intentions before you. (Mention them.) I know you will also show yourself a kind and compassionate Mother to me.

Hail Mary

8th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, it was St. Bernadette’s privilege to see you during her earthly life. On her deathbed she remembered those times: “1 saw her–oh, how beautiful she was! How anxious I am to see her again!”

Dear Mother, when shall I see God face to face and hear Him, O glorious Queen of heaven and earth?

Pray for me when that blessed moment comes. Pray for me now, in my present hour of need. (Here mention your special intentions.)

Hail Mary

9th. Day

Dear Blessed Mother, on this last day of my novena I consecrate myself to you under your title of Our Lady of Lourdes. Into your hands I entrust myself for time and eternity.

Come into my life that Christ may reign fully in me. Come into my heart that He may be my supreme love. Come into my soul that I may constantly rejoice in God my Savior.

Dear Mother, keep me always in your prayers. (Here mention your special needs.) Make me faithful and loving in life and in death. Amen.

Hail Mary

There could be no logical reason why God wouldn’t want you to receive daily communion other than you being conscious of mortal sin. If you feel uncomfortable with certain customs, talk to one of the people in that small community about it, ask about it. If you truly have a desire to receive our Lord daily as He offers Himself daily, there will be a way, simply because God would want you to receive Him as often as possible.

Anxiety is not of God. God only gives peace. If God wanted you to know to not attend that place, you would be sure that it is Him. Actively seek out the answer and you will find it.

I pray you do!

Jesus doesn’t deny us the opportunity to partake of His Most Holy Sacrifice on the altar. I think what you were experiencing were temptations from the evil one because you had finally decided to attend Mass instead of making other plans. The devil will do anything in his power to get us to abandon what is good because he hates God and anyone who worships him.

I had something happen like this happen when I was in Church. My face was beet red, I was sweating a lot, and I had a stomach-ache. I knew I wasn’t sick because I didn’t come in sick. It started right when Mass did. I prayed for God to guard me from the evil one because I knew he (the devil) was upset that I was there and was trying to get me to leave. I will admit that I almost did several times, but I found strength to stay and receive Holy Communion. He even went so far as to tempt me into having scruples even though I had confessed recently and had no mortal sins on my conscious.

While it is quite possible that you were not feeling well that day, it could have been the devil. If it makes you uncomfortable being in that chapel, go to a different one, but don’t give up going altogether. There are so many graces you can receive just by being there. :slight_smile:

reed, could it be that you need to go to Confession before you receive Communion?

Betsy

so true… and I had almost the exact same experience!

the advice of praying a rosary or any prayer to Mama Mary suggested by several people is really good.

My rule is go go to mass three times a week. Any more than that is great if I can do it. ;)I usually find “bad luck” happens after I go to confession. I know who’s behind it;:eek: so it’s nothing to be upset about. He even tries to keep me from going to mass for my three times a week rule. It’s pretty incredible and it sounds to me like he’s picking on you because you have the opportunity to receive Our Lord frequently. I would suggest attending mass more than the mandatory. If you feel like going to daily mass, go for it!:thumbsup: Show the enemy who’s boss!:slight_smile:

Sounds like you either were getting sick or had an allergic reation to something (or, had some sort of emotional or psychosomatic reaction). As for the customs in the chapel, they can’t be doing things all that differently than in other chapels and churches you have been to. Ask someone what the customs are, or simply watch and take part when you are clear about that that means. Speak to one of the priests associated with the chapel if that seems a good idea. If you remain uncomfortable, find another community to attend or determine to work on whatever it is in you that causes this. The bottom line is that Jesus is present in this community in all the same ways (Word, Sacrament, Assembly, Priest) He is present in any community during Mass. Decide what you really want.

As for the idea that the devil is somehow preventing you from going here, or God wanting something else for you, ordinarily God asks us to listen to our hearts. The demons we ordinarily deal with are those of our own hearts as well. If you desire to worship God, then do so. Do whatever it takes to make that possible. If you desire to attend daily Mass, then find ways to do so. If not, please don’t attribute it to the will of God or (as some have) to the devil. Especially don’t become superstitious (bad luck always follows me there). Deal with whatever it is in you that prevents attendence (or yearns for it!) and do what you are aware God wills for you in this.

Perhaps I am wrong (I sincerely apologize if that is the case), but I hear in your question an implicit attempt to get people to castigate the chapel and the liturgy there, to suggest that perhaps God does not will you attend liturgy there. I hope I am mistaken, but in any case, the problems associated with attendence are all yours. In my experience God does not cause runs of “bad luck” to get our attention (though they may certainly happen for various including subconscious reason). Discernment is a much more subtle (and dignified) reality than that, and our God more transcendent and greater as well.

That’s exactly what it sounds like. I suffered with severe Anxiety and panic attacks for some time, and the one can definitely leave you exhausted. If it happens again, go talk to your doctor. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.