Could Jesus have been the Messiah and NOT have been God?

I know that the Church teaches the Holy Trinity: that is that there is ONE God, in 3 persons. That Jesus IS God in human form (incarnate). Lately though, I have been wondering if Jesus could have still been the Messiah but NOT have actually been God. If he was ‘just’ a man that God created without sine and as a sacrifice for sins, but there was no divinity in Him, could he have still been the Messiah? :shrug:

I’m not fully versed in what other Christian denominations believe about this, but it seems that I do not hear Protestants talking as much about the divinity of Jesus. Thoughts? :confused:

No.

A finite man could not have made an infinite sacrifice.

Anyone who studies the Jewish roots of the Old Testament will come to the conclusion that Jesus is God.

Jesus’ words and actions in the Gospels correctly understood in the context of Judaism and the Old Testament inevitably lead one to the divinity of Christ. Anyone who does not see that Jesus is the divine Second Person of the Trinity incarnate does not understand or has not read the Old Testament scriptures.

-Tim-

Jesus is the bridge between the invisible God and humanity. Only God could repair the damaged relationship - man alone could not do this.

He is the way, the truth and the life.

John 14:6
…“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Better to say One God WHO IS 3 persons. God is One What and Three Whos.
Just as I am One What & One Who, One HUMAN Being and One Person, God
is One DIVINE Being and Three Persons

Well there’s the problem of Sin to deal with. When Adam fell, he crippled all humanity, spiritually
speaking, so we are all born spiritually dead. What must happen for our sins to be forgiven is the
death of a perfect man, one flawless sacrifice to God. No mere man, no mere creation can ever
be perfect enough, so God has to come himself in the flesh to do that which no creation can do.

Why should anyone die for our sins if God is in the business of making a man perfect by
default? It can’t happen, for God is just, and for a man to be created without sin complete-
ly negates God’s true sense of Justice. It was necessary then that the infinite God should
come in human form and offer his life to make the one and only sacrifice that no creation
is capable of making. So the Messiah has to be God.

Well first: Protestantism BAD!
Anywho…just read the Bible. Isaiah spoke of the Messiah as being called El Gibbor (The Mighty
God), Zechariah quoted YHWH who said, “they shall look unto me whom they have pierced: and
they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son,” (Zechariah 12:10), & John said in his
Gospel Prologue that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was WITH The God, and the
Word as to his nature Deity (If you look carefully at the Greek).

The Messiah is our very God.

If Jesus had not been God incarnate, he still could have been A messiah (“anointed one”); the same word was used for the early anointed kings of Israel. However, as has been pointed out, if He had been a normal man, He could not have been the ultimate offering for sin.

Jehovah’s witnesses deny Christ’s divinity and claim that He was the Archangel Michael made man. The Bible states that God did not say to any angel that he is his son and God his Father, but rather God the Father said this to God the Son. John also states “In the beginning there was the Word. And the Word was with God and the Word was God.” We can also note when the Jews tried to stone Jesus for making Himself equal to God. Christ Jesus stated that He saw satan fall like lightning from heaven. A true christian is one who accepts Jesus Christ as his/her God, that is why we are called CHRISTians. God bless.

Jesus said that He is God.

Exodus 3:14 - God says “I AM who I AM” - John 8:58 - Jesus says “Before Abraham was, I AM” in reference to Himself. (Source)

And the ones who listened to Him understood Him as saying such or they would not have reacted to His words the way they did. And that’s the reason why His enemies crucified Him. So, as C.S. Lewis has said, Jesus was either a “liar, lunatic, or Lord.” He could not be the Messiah if He were a liar or a lunatic. So, the only option left is that Jesus is the Lord.

This same question has been asked and answered thousands of times. So, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I will offer some of the answers that have already been provided.

These links should help:

The Divinity of Christ
Jesus Christ’s Divinity - Some of Many Examples
The Holy Trinity
The Eternal Sonship of Christ
God in Three Persons
Arianism
The Arian Heresy

I’m fairly certain the vast majority of Protestants regard Jesus as G-d as well as the Messiah. As you may know, Jews do not believe the Messiah is supposed to be divine but rather merely a man albeit an exceptional one. There are, however, a group of people who call themselves Nazarene Jews (not the same as Messianic Jews or Hebrew Catholics) who believe precisely what you refer to: that Jesus was indeed the Messiah but not G-d. Their perspective is that Jesus’ goal on earth was to re-interpret the true meaning of the Torah Law for the Jews, not to fulfill it in His own being but rather to explain it more profoundly and humanely.

NO, SIMPLY PUT. Jesus is the ;)son of God and the reason both you and I, and many others doubt, it is because we have a free will that we exercise poorly. If Jesus is not who he said was, then he has fooled a lot smarter people than you or I for the last 2000 years. Think about it. It is your choice to believe or not. Believing requires that one attempt to control their will
A difficult task for even one as close to committing to the truth as you appear to want to be. Trust in God and ask, it will be given. Once you know you will not be able to return to your old ways without knowing you have turned your back on the truth. This is a good place to be. But there will be no more games to justify wrong thinking.

May, Jesus keep you close. And your mind free of false arguments
GOOD BLESS
NICHOLAS MARTINEZ
PAX

The Jews disagree. The Jewish Messiah is a man. A great man, but a man. The Jewish God is One, not a Trinity, so the Jewish Messiah is a man, not God.

rossum

Socinians, Christadelphians, and the Abrahamic Movement all believe that he was a man endowed with power and authority by God. The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that he was God’s first creation, specifically the Archangel Michael. The Arian Catholics believe that he was created by God and was possibly an Archangel.

Yes, Jesus could have been the Messiah and not have been God. Arius and Athanasius both combated over whether or not Jesus could be God and the sufficiency of the atonement. This is how our Mariology eventually came to be about. The difference in their theologies though rested in the meaning of the atonement. Jesus can be God and still be sinless which is possible if Arian theology and a different meaning of the atonement are adopted (penal substitution, moral influence, etc.).

However, an important part about the atonement that needs to be emphasized is that theosis is a critical aspect of the atonement. This is affirmed in both Eastern Orthodox theology and Catholic theology.

"The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:78 "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God."79 "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."80 "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods.“81” (CCC, 460)

The citations are of 2 Pet. 1:4, St. Irenaeus, St. Athansius, and St. Thomas Aquinas. This was why Arianism was eventually trumped. Because a) St. Athanasius argued in favor the human role model (Mary) and b) St. Athanasius also kept in mind the doctrine of theosis which is a key component of any atonement theory (including St. Anselm’s satisfaction theory of the atonement). Arius argued only for the human role model to show that humans could accomplish perfection in this life.

So could Jesus have been the Messiah if he had not been God? Yes. But this would utterly destroy the meaning of a Christian God who is personal.

I’ll also add this snippet about the Arians from David Bentley Hart’s book, Atheist Delusions.
books.google.com/books?id=UK5PsFYBXFUC&q=arius#v=snippet&q=arius&f=false

“It is well to remember that there was one thing in the life of Christ that brought His death, and that was the intolerance of His claim to be Divine. He was tolerant about where He slept. and what He ate; He was tolerant about shortcomings of His fish-smelling apostles; He was tolerant of those who nailed Him to the Cross, but He was absolutely intolerant about His claim to be Divine.” - Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Part of the understanding of His mission is the idea of a sacrifice that is entirely efficacious for all of humanity for all time. Man, being finite in power, time, etc… couldn’t be that sacrifice, but God can. Both understandings must be present in order for the OT and NT to make sense; Jesus’ humanity AND His divinity. If you had either without the other, it wouldn’t work according to God’s law.

I’m not fully versed in what other Christian denominations believe about this, but it seems that I do not hear Protestants talking as much about the divinity of Jesus. Thoughts? :confused:

Protestants, such as I, tend to emphasize the fact of God the Son (Jesus) very clearly, there may be some offshoots that don’t, but even those like Oneness Pentecostals don’t deny His divinity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.