Could John Corapi appear on TBN someday?

I don't necessarily mean personal appearances on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. I've been thinking that maybe TBN could broadcast programs Corapi produced back when he was known as Father John Corapi. Since EWTN can't show them anymore, TBN might be a decent-enough outlet for the stuff. After all, hasn't TBN aired programming featuring Bishop Fulton Sheen?

IMHO, Corapi was between a rock and a hard place when he decided to leave the priesthood.

[quote="Maxirad, post:1, topic:264001"]
I don't necessarily mean personal appearances on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. I've been thinking that maybe TBN could broadcast programs Corapi produced back when he was known as Father John Corapi. Since EWTN can't show them anymore, TBN might be a decent-enough outlet for the stuff. After all, hasn't TBN aired programming featuring Bishop Fulton Sheen?

IMHO, Corapi was between a rock and a hard place when he decided to leave the priesthood.

[/quote]

none of us knows the details of why he left so nobody here is in a position to have an opinion based on actual fact.

I doubt TBN is any more anxious than EWTN to broadcast programs, even with good content in and of themselves, connected to such a controversial figure.

If they did broadcast the programs, it would bring further scandal. I was well advised to dispose of any remaining material of his which I had. Why? Whereas before it was edifying, there is now potential for scandal whenever it is viewed.

As to the position that he, or any Priest may be in during the course of their ministry, I call to mind Saint John of the Cross. He was unjustly persecuted and thrown into the dungeon by his Bishop - yet he remained faithful and obedient to the Church through his suffering. He is a Saint and Doctor of the Church, while only Church historians remember who that Bishop was.

It serves no useful purpose to reminisce or to imagine their return. Regarding any Priest who leaves the priesthood: as sad as it may be, we are best advised to pray for them and let them go.

I don't see anything wrong w/viewing his previous material, unless he was preaching things that were untrue. I have music by certain christian artists who have left the faith, the potential for scandal is always there.

Since EWTN can't show them anymore, TBN might be a decent-enough outlet for the stuff. After all, hasn't TBN aired programming featuring Bishop Fulton Sheen?

[/quote]

I just want to point out a fact here when making a Corapi-Sheen comparison in regards to their shows.

Abp Sheen never left the priesthood or was disobedient to his superiors.

John Paul II personally told him that Sheen had been a "loyal son of the Church"

I make no judgement about Corapi's soul or standing, I just dont think it's fair to compare him to Abp Fulton Sheen is all. given the very different circumstances each man had in their journeys with the Lord

I was not trying to imply that Bishop Fulton Sheen did questionable stuff. I brought him up because TBN isn't known for being a particularly Catholic network. After all, The 700 Club is shown on there.

Fr Corapi has always been truthful on his telecasts and I hope they return to air.

Most likely, if anyone did show his programs, it would be prefaced by the fact that he has left the priesthood. That itself brings scandal.

I think the best advice is to let him go and simply pray for him.

Since the allegations made against Father Corapi are false I see no scandal.

As far as TBN broadcasting his shows, I think it unlikely. The shows are the property of Santa Cruz Media. They withdrew all the tapes from circulation when they shut down the website.

[/quote]

Correction: John Corapi did not leave the priesthood. Check this out to find out why.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.