Could man live a sin free life?

This post was taken from the thread “could Mary have sinned”, which is nearing closure.

A man can live free of sin if he cooperate with God’s grace fully. I believe St. John has an answer to this.

The First Letter of John Chapter 3 verse 1-10:

**See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now; it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that he appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. And every one who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

Every one who commits sin is guilty of the lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. Any one who abides in him does not sin; any one who sins has not seen him, nor has he known him. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous. He commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. Any one born of God does not commit sin; for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God. By this it may be seen who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil; whoever does not do right is not of God, nor he who does not love his brother.**

So we see it is possible for mankind. With man it is impossible, with God’s help, all things are possible.

Do you or anyone you know claim to have stopped sinning?

Be perfect as your Heavenly father is perfect.

I don’t think Our Lord would have said this if it were not posible. It requires a special grace from God, but it is possible. I don’t know anyone, which only suggests it is very rare. It doesn’t prove it is impossible.

As far as to the question of what the Church teaches:

“The justified person is not able for his whole life long to avoid all sins, even venial sins, without the special privilege of the grace of God (De fide)”

From Ott’s Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma

Yes, I have met several fundamentalists on this Board who have said that they cannot sin, because they have been saved.

I have read a testimony written by someone else about a righteous couple:

Luke 1:5-6

5 In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zechari’ah, of the division of Abi’jah; and he had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

But all the Catholics I know that strive to lead a holy life do so with Paul’s attitude:

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; 27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27

One is disqualified from eternal life by sin, which separates us from God.

St. Mary and St. Joseph both lived lives devoid of sin, as did John the Baptist IIRC. They needed the help of God’s Grace (at least Joseph and John did), but they proved it to be possible for man (with the help of God) to live without sin.

After Baptism
(we are all born with original sin, so we are not sin free before baptism).

The Actual Grace needed is there if we choose to accept it and the Sanctifying Grace is there to make us holy.

God doesn’t withhold what we need.

We are all able to become sinless. If we aren’t sinless, it is our fault for wasting the graces the Lord has given freely to us.

Do you think, unless a person claims to have "arrived’ at sinlessness, that it is not possible?

[quote="guanophore] Jesus has overcome the world and the flesh and the devil, and by His power working within us we can choose not to sin. He has set us free from the bondage of sin, so that we can make this choice. This is what Mary did. It was easier for her to be successful because she was not in posession of the tainted flesh that Paul speaks about in Rom. 7. This condition is a result of original sin.
[/quote]

:banghead: Of course he is, ja4. That is what original sin does. It creates a fallen state, so that human beings fall under the power of sin. The human person, body and soul, is no longer inclined toward God, by whom and for whom he is made, but is inclined toward self, and the desires of the flesh.

I would appreciate it, ja4, if you would refrain from telling me what I “should” do or believe. It smacks of promoting a private agenda, which is against the forum rules. Aside from that, you have no authority over me to instruct me in matters of the faith, so it make you look ridiculously out of order.

Baptism washes away the penalty of original sin, which is eternal death. It does not wash away the effects of that fallen condition, which is concupiscence (the tendency of the natural man to turn away from God). You do not accept the basis of the Teaching, which we have from the Apostles, so it does not make sense to you, but it is much easier to avoid sin if one is “full of grace”. :thumbsup:

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. 1 Cor 6:9-11

It sure sounds like these Corinthians did, at least for a while! :smiley:

I see that someone has already posted a reference from Catholic teaching that it is possible,by the grace of God, to avoid sin.

I wonder how that happened? :wink:

Any chance that you would reconsider my invitation that you renounce your ministry of pulling up the tares from God’s field?

Human nature and the effects of original sin cause us to sin, or the tendency to commit sin out of our own free will. Free will is a gift, you have the option to decide right from wrong. To obey God’s commandment, or not.

No one here claims to stop to sin. Well, no one on earth. Saints in heaven as well as angels do not sin because they are with God and they receive their just reward.

We are tempted to sin, and the only thing we can do is follow Jesus Christ. He was done everything we did, he was tempted like us, but he did not sin. His mother, Mary didn’t sin because she cooperated with God’s grace not to offend God.

Jesus specifically commanded us, “If you truly love me, then obey my commandments.”

Do you love God enough to not sin anymore? We should try. I said try because in our fallen state, we can fall into sin. Of course when we sin, we must seek God’s mercy. If we offend our brother and sister, we ask for their forgiveness, and we should also forgive others who offend us. You cannot obtain mercy from God unless you forgive your brother.

If you John Chapter 3 verse 1-10, you know that if we abide in God’s commandments, we won’t sin.

When you start your day, there are things you need to consider.

1. Seek first the kingdom of God.

2. Avoid Hell by not sinning.

3. If you sin, seek God’s mercy and repent.

4. Convert yourself daily. Reflect inside yourself.

If you do this, my friend. God will reward you in the end.

Not sure what this means. Is Ott saying there are actually catholics who have not sinned?

I agree with much here. Do we agree though that no man can chose not to sin and be truly successful the rest of his life in never sinning again?

guanophore;3326482]

Yes, I have met several fundamentalists on this Board who have said that they cannot sin, because they have been saved.

i suspect those who make such claims don’t know what the scriptures teach about this.

I have read a testimony written by someone else about a righteous couple:

Luke 1:5-6

5 In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zechari’ah, of the division of Abi’jah; and he had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Have you looked up what the word righteous means and blameless means in this passage?
Rigtheous means n the NT those that are called righteous (díkaioi) are those who have conditioned their lives by the standard which is not theirs, but God’s (Rom. 2:13; 5:7; 2 Tim. 1:9). They are the people related to God and who, as a result of this relationship, walk with God (Matt. 1:19; 5:45; 10:41; 13:17, 49; 23:29, 35; 25:37; Mark 2:17; 6:20; Luke 1:6,

Blameless means not to find fault. To be faultless. In both cases it does not mean that they never sinned but that they kept the Law of God according to His standards.

Don’t assume that just because a person is righteous doesn’t mean they never sinned or incapable of sinning.

But all the Catholics I know that strive to lead a holy life do so with Paul’s attitude:

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; 27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27

One is disqualified from eternal life by sin, which separates us from God.

One is not disqualified of eternal life by sin. Sin is not powerful enough to break the bond in Christ if we are truly His. Rather we are to confess our sins to Him and be forgiven and continue on the Life. Even Paul in Philippians 3:12-14 alludes to the fact that he has not reached perfection in this world when he writes:

12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,

14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Jesus said, “Go and sin no more.” If you think this impossible then I’d say you need stronger faith.

No. It is possible by God’s grace to cling to HIm and avoid sin.

“…but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin; and sin when it is full-grown brings forth death.” James 1:14-15

One does not HAVE to be led into sin by succumbing to desire.

I never said that Mary, or anyone else was incapable of sinning. It is not possible to be blameless and righteous before God when there is sin in one’s life.

Sin most definitely will prevent one from entering into eternal life. Perhaps that is a topic for another thread. Once a person sins, they separate themselves from Christ. That is why, if a person does this, there remains no longer any sacrifice for sins.

:amen:

As for the question: Could man live a sin free life?

Scripture states: “my servant Caleb…has a different spirit and has followed me fully” (Num 14:24). “***[Caleb]…******wholly followed the LORD.***” (Num 32:12; Deut 1:36; Josh 14:14).

I have no reason to doubt Scripture. Nonetheless, Caleb was the only one, other than Joshua who “wholly followed the Lord” among those who were tested in the desert up to that point, likely because of the special mission God had planned for them. It would be presumptive to affirm–without a special gift from God–that such a “different spirit” is common among all the baptized. We are called to believe in the possibility of “sinning no more” and to firmly resolve that with God’s help, we too may “sin no more,” praying for the grace to serve God with a pure mind and chaste body. If we indeed cooperate with the grace of God, we can surely sin no more. It would be impious to believe otherwise.

For most of us it is difficult to not sin. The longest I have not sinned was 3 weeks (both venial and mortal sin), but I find myself committing sin again because of the worldly affairs.

We should not dispair though. When we sin, we should repent ask for God’s mercy. When we repented, we should make a firm purpose of amendment. This term means is staying away from temptation that leads you to sin.

There are times, where I just want to die in sanctifying grace and be at peace with God and be with him in heaven. Once I’m in heaven, I won’t be sinning anymore because we see God face to face. We see Him as he is.

I’ve stopped. Hopefully forever!:smiley: Pretty doubtful given my track record though.:frowning:

itsjustdave1988;3327037]As for the question: Could man live a sin free life?

Scripture states: “my servant Caleb…has a different spirit and has followed me fully” (Num 14:24). “***[Caleb]…******wholly followed the LORD.***” (Num 32:12; Deut 1:36; Josh 14:14).

I have no reason to doubt Scripture. Nonetheless, Caleb was the only one, other than Joshua who “wholly followed the Lord” among those who were tested in the desert up to that point, likely because of the special mission God had planned for them. It would be presumptive to affirm–without a special gift from God–that such a “different spirit” is common among all the baptized. We are called to believe in the possibility of “sinning no more” and to firmly resolve that with God’s help, we too may “sin no more,” praying for the grace to serve God with a pure mind and chaste body. If we indeed cooperate with the grace of God, we can surely sin no more. It would be impious to believe otherwise.

The context for these passages is not about not sinning per se but about following the Lord in what He commanded specifically regarding this issue of going into the promise land and having to fight foes that were mighter than Israel itself. Caleb and Joshua refused to be go along with the others and believe in God and His promises that they could overcome these enemies.

In terms of Christians though the best passages to look at on the issue of sin is Romans 6 and 7. In these 2 chapters Paul lays out in a masterful way what we are up against. Part of the reason we cannot stop from sinning is that our will has also been affected by sin. It has in some way weakened it and makes it impossible for us not to sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.