Could mankind extend human life beyond the natural order intended by God?

When listening to very valid orthodox arguments against the evils of artificial birth control and abortion, the point is almost always raised that there is a divinely established and natural cycle to life and interrupting that cycle is akin to denying God his right to bring life into existence. The fundamental premise is that if people are behaving and acting as God intended a good, globally sustainable balance is achieved through natural and healthy fertility rates (number of infants born), and by implication, the number of those whose earthly existence naturally comes to an end.

While understandably if one is talking about artificial birth control (ABC) the focus would be on the former, the latter – the “natural” death cycle, is often not discussed as being an issue unless the conversation is focused on or shifts to euthanasia of any kind (which, of course is a most evil and grave matter).

Indeed, one should never interfere with the natural intentions of God, and this view is advanced by the Church regarding ABC, abortion, and extends to euthanasia and similar evils. However, new medical innovations are continually being developed and implemented that extends the life expectancy of mankind substantially in developed nations. While I would not propose to negate or hinder advancements in medicine, which certainly charitably reduces suffering and pain the world over for millions of people and should be pursued, I often ask myself the following question:

***Is there a point at which man could go too far in the advancement of medical innovations and technology that would extend human life beyond the length intended by God in the natural order and cycle of life, obstructing said order/cycle in a manner similar to that caused by the use ABC? ***

I’m not talking about life support or states devoid of cognition, but of situations that would likely be lethal if not for the intervention of modern medicine. It is conceivable that life expectancy could one day advance beyond 100 years. If one dedicates living one’s life to the glory of the Divine Creator according to His commandments and the teachings of His Holy Church in the hope of realizing the beatific vision of heaven, it presupposes that the natural end of man is death. Man can do many artificial things… The question I ask is whether or not we should, and if so how far mankind should go before we begin “playing God” to a certain extent?

God created the earth with a natural order to maintain sustainability. Could mankind’s progress stand in the way of God’s plan and natural order?

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

As a disclaimer, this is just a question for thought and discussion and I did not write this post to advocate or suggest any evil acts or grave matters whatsoever.

Pax.

J.M.J.

No.

Well, since the natural order intended by God was immortality, no.

Well, there’s this article that was published a short while ago:

Human immortality could be possible by 2045, say Russian scientists:
cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/07/human-immortality-could-be-possible-by-2045-say-russian-scientists.html

If Dmitry Itskov’s 2045 initiative plays out as planned, humans will have the option of living forever with the help of machines in only 33 years.

-Byrnwiga

In response to the OP, I don’t believe it’s necessarily a bad thing to develop technology that will allow humans to extend our lives. Only a few centuries ago most humans didn’t survive beyond 50 years.

In relation to machines that can house our consciousness - I personally don’t believe this technology will ever exist. It also seems that this would be a step into the unnatural as this is not the way humans were meant to live.

The natural order intended by God is immortality, but not here on earth. We are predisposed to have an “end” at which time we hope that by His mercy we get to meet God “face to face” as it were. An infinite life on earth sounds like being “of this world”. Scripture speaks unfavorably of such pursuits.

I’m not against medical advancements that extend life, but I question whether or not there is a point when technology advances to a stage where there is a somewhat artificial preservation of life and life itself becomes “of this world”. With the ability also comes ramifications for the sustainability of the “economy” created by God.

J.M.J.

I am speaking of God’s original intent for Man. Death is a result of Original Sin.

I don’t see a problem with medical advances prolonging the human lifespan.

There probably is a limit to what the human body could endure and as I said in an earlier post I do not believe it will ever be possible to transfer a human consciousness into a robotic “container”. I don’t think science will ever fully understand this aspect of humanity.

Those scientists who claim this is possible or soon will be are at best exaggerating their research to seek funding and at worst merely lying for the sake of gaining funding for some other project.

Yes, it is possible. However, we do not know the answers to the following:

1. Possible negative mental health effects. The brain is still not well understood.
  2. Possible complications resulting from the method used.
  3. Possible implications for the global population.

We do not know if the treatment will be very expensive or not very expensive. And, of course, death by accident is a very real possibility.

Peace,
Ed

i am not quite sure, you say that god created the earth with the intent of its very sustainability but didnt he create it for us in the perfect order to show his love for us,
why would we ever need to extend life beyond the natural order it wouldnt be possible because all things are possible and were made that way by god because their was no limit to his love that he showed us. When we fell away from his grace through lucifer
we abandoned him and he left us in our ways until he returned to the people of israel through the forfather of israel abraham and established the prophets at the head until the time had come for the messiah to arrive and the way was cleared for the people to return to god. Even the gentiles had been saved through the gracious gift of god when it was declared that salvation was from the jews under the declaration of the new covenant.

wow! thats a pretty aggressive answer, you shouldnt worry about those things why dont you let god decide whats best for gods natural drivin sustainability or whatever.
that seemed also like a pretty short response perhaps you should check about the appropriateness of your responses when responding to peoples thoughts on the subject?
regardless its not like the world is going to end.

And according to Popular Science magazines from 1965, we would all be in flying cars by 1985. And by now we should be able to travel from New York to Tokyo in an hour and grow a new arm if we lost one in a accident.

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for technology to advance as fast as we wish it would.

:thumbsup:

How would we know it was man’s tinkering or God’s will that led to longevity?:shrug:

From the dawn of time to about the 1800s if a person lived to 50 he was considered old. Now some people can live twice that long. Assuming that God gave man a natural life span of about 50 and using that as a baseline, it is hard to not believe than man’s technology did not have a part in increasing longevity. And this includes not just medical advancements, but healthier food, cleaner drinking water, safer work environments etc.

The original order was quite longer than the current lifespan.

Darn. You beat me to the punch-line. :thumbsup:

Peace,
Robert

How so?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.