Could Mary have supported other children?

From a logical point of view, would not have Joseph and Mary found it extremely difficult to financially support other children?

I don’t know, I’ve never seen their W2s.

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]I don’t know, I’ve never seen their W2s.
[/quote]

Do you suppose the gold, frankincense, and myrhh counts as income? Do you suppose they were able to “income average” their returns over a space of some years? If not, man, they must’ve been bumped up into a higher rate that year…

[quote=Sherlock]Do you suppose the gold, frankincense, and myrhh counts as income? Do you suppose they were able to “income average” their returns over a space of some years? If not, man, they must’ve been bumped up into a higher rate that year…
[/quote]

LOL YOu really had me laughing thank you! :rotfl:

[quote=Magicsilence]From a logical point of view, would not have Joseph and Mary found it extremely difficult to financially support other children?
[/quote]

Do you think God would not provide for Joseph and Mary’s family?

You mean… more than one child in their household?

SIMPLE QUESTION!!

Logically, yes. They could have supported more than one child in their family with only one parent earning the income. Happens all the time. Even in America.

Same way that single income (father earning) families with the mother working full-time at home support more than one child.

With the sweat of the brow.

Next question?
:thumbsup:

Mary is so loving I’d bet she helped a lot of children in the village. I bet she would be a great slumber party mom!

Hi Magic__,

I should say, it was unusual for a Jewish family to have only one child. Like in many Middle Eastern areas today, people were part of large extended families whose members aided and supported one another.

Besides St. Joseph plied a good trade. The family was probably not well to do, but not really poor.

But I wonder what is really behind your question. Tell us more?

Verbum

[quote=Magicsilence]From a logical point of view, would not have Joseph and Mary found it extremely difficult to financially support other children?
[/quote]

not any more than any other family in their time, place, social class, and in any case that is not the reason they did not have more children, but both obeyed God’s command for the way their relationship would be conducted, as in all aspects of their family life.

[quote=Sherlock]Do you suppose the gold, frankincense, and myrhh counts as income? Do you suppose they were able to “income average” their returns over a space of some years? If not, man, they must’ve been bumped up into a higher rate that year…
[/quote]

Hey, Sherlock, it has always been a pet theory of mine that the gold supported the flight into Egypt . . . Another pet theory is that the first miraculous draft of fishes taken by St. Peter supported his family during the time that he “left everything” and followed Our Lord . . . :slight_smile:

[/quote]

IF there had been other children, I doubt Mary would have had to put the kids in daycare and work outside the home so she and Joseph could afford two car payments, a mortgage, a host of credit card debt, and live in swankest neighborhood in Nazereth.

Besides, Joseph was a skilled carpenter. Those guys make pretty good bank. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.