Could Mary Perform Miracles?

My father told me that in order to give birth to the Son of God, Mary would have had to been perfect and without sin, and that her parents would not have been perfect, but very far from sin. Also, i do not believe i read Mary was baptised, so how was she born without the stain of original sin? Ignoring that fact, shouldn’t Mary have been able to perform miracles just as easy as Jesus? Why did she suffer from the effects of sin, such as pain and discomfort (as seen when Mary was pregnant and had to travel to Bethlehem).

Sorry if this question seems foolish, but i would really appreciate an answer.

Regards,

Jesse

so how was she born without the stain of original sin?

Mary was conceived without Original Sin by a special grace from God. This is called the Immaculate Conception.

shouldn’t Mary have been able to perform miracles just as easy as Jesus?

Being without sin is not the cause of a miracle, God is. After all, Adam and Eve were without sin until the Fall yet there is no account nor tradition that has them performing any miracles prior to their sin. Jesus performed miracles because He is God. And when miracles are attributed to a saint the miracle is attributed to their prayers to God, it is still God who performs the miracle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.