Could not get a confession

I have left 4 messages with a secretary of a local parish in my town. I know its Holy Week and priests are very busy, it took him from Friday of last week to Wednesday of Holy week to get back to me, I finally talk to him on the phone and tell him, this confession wouldnt be a 5 min job and since there would probably be a line up of poeple, it would be best if I made another appointment this would be 2 weeks after easter. I ask him if I should go to communion without confession and he says that is between me and God, well I still dont have an answer. I’m actually seeking a priest I could go to for guidance in my faith.
Please dont tell me, I need confession before Easter, I really am scared of the whole process, and I’m taking small steps toward going forward with this, if I get too overwhelmed I may just chicken out all together. I’m going with this one priest, I feel just a wee bit comfortable with, I went to him one other time, a whole 12 months ago, ooh did I hear the room go quiet. If the confession can get a little less intimindating I will go more often.

I have a friend who is very dear to me, she is a mercy sister, and tells me it is a sad trend that poeple are not going to confession anymore.The priest doesn’t even preach about confession, does he not want to lose numbers in his church? The reconcilliation mass is low in numbers, and is not nearly the same as confession. Shae

[quote=Shae]I have left 4 messages with a secretary of a local parish in my town. I know its Holy Week and priests are very busy, it took him from Friday of last week to Wednesday of Holy week to get back to me, I finally talk to him on the phone and tell him, this confession wouldnt be a 5 min job and since there would probably be a line up of poeple, it would be best if I made another appointment this would be 2 weeks after easter. I ask him if I should go to communion without confession and he says that is between me and God, well I still dont have an answer. I’m actually seeking a priest I could go to for guidance in my faith.
Please dont tell me, I need confession before Easter, I really am scared of the whole process, and I’m taking small steps toward going forward with this, if I get too overwhelmed I may just chicken out all together. I’m going with this one priest, I feel just a wee bit comfortable with, I went to him one other time, a whole 12 months ago, ooh did I hear the room go quiet. If the confession can get a little less intimindating I will go more often.

I have a friend who is very dear to me, she is a mercy sister, and tells me it is a sad trend that poeple are not going to confession anymore.The priest doesn’t even preach about confession, does he not want to lose numbers in his church? The reconcilliation mass is low in numbers, and is not nearly the same as confession. Shae
[/quote]

Shae, m’Darlin,

One thing at a time. If you want spiritual direction, wait until after Holy Week. If you want confession, just GO. NOW.

Part of your penance will be the humility it takes to go to Confession on terms other than your own. Chances are there is only one really humiliating mortal sin you have to confess. As the Nike people say (and Fr. Corapi): Just DO it!

You will make a great step forward in holiness.

Godspeed, my friend.

[quote=Shae]I have left 4 messages with a secretary of a local parish in my town. I know its Holy Week and priests are very busy, it took him from Friday of last week to Wednesday of Holy week to get back to me, I finally talk to him on the phone and tell him, this confession wouldnt be a 5 min job and since there would probably be a line up of poeple, it would be best if I made another appointment this would be 2 weeks after easter. I ask him if I should go to communion without confession and he says that is between me and God, well I still dont have an answer. I’m actually seeking a priest I could go to for guidance in my faith.

[/quote]

Confession should not be by apointment, but that is up to you. Locate the Reconciliation times in the parishes near you and go for now. Schedule with your pastor if you choose for after Easter.

I suppose a general confession might take more than 5 minutes, but even then, it really doesn’t take long to recite sins and receive absolution. I was told by a priest here that the average time a confession takes is 1 1/2 minutes. I can recite a lot of sins and receive absolution in less than 2 minutes. And on occasion I’ve been to confession spending less than a minute in the confessional. If you need spiritual direction, find a spiritual director and make an appointment. But if confession is needed, just go. It doesn’t need to take a lot of time.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Confession should not be by apointment…
[/quote]

Why do you say that? The last 4 confessions I’ve done have been by appt. Our small parish has confessions only on Saturday before Mass, and I am NEVER available at that time. So I make an appt and Father doesn’t seem to mind. Confession is confession, whether by appt or by routine time.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Confession should not be by apointment . . .
[/quote]

Au contraire. In a world where spiritual direction may be hard to come by, a regular confessor can be the next best thing. Priests often find it gratifying that a penitent has found their ministry in this very personal Sacrament to be helpful and will be glad to work with you by appointment.

[quote=jpjd]Why do you say that? The last 4 confessions I’ve done have been by appt. Our small parish has confessions only on Saturday before Mass, and I am NEVER available at that time. So I make an appt and Father doesn’t seem to mind. Confession is confession, whether by appt or by routine time.
[/quote]

[quote=jpjd]Why do you say that? The last 4 confessions I’ve done have been by appt. Our small parish has confessions only on Saturday before Mass, and I am NEVER available at that time. So I make an appt and Father doesn’t seem to mind. Confession is confession, whether by appt or by routine time.
[/quote]

I mean that appointments should not be necessary or required for Confession. There should be routine times like Saturday afternoon when the priest sits in the confessional/room and waits. In addition any priest should be willing to hear a Confession anytime a member of the faithful (within reason) asks for the Sacrament. That is one of their primary responsibilities after celebrating Mass. Personally I believe that meeting with the roofing contractor, tee time, shopping or whatever, should all take a back burner to hearing someone’s Confession.

[quote=mercygate]Au contraire. In a world where spiritual direction may be hard to come by, a regular confessor can be the next best thing. Priests often find it gratifying that a penitent has found their ministry in this very personal Sacrament to be helpful and will be glad to work with you by appointment.
[/quote]

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is not intended for “Spiritual Direction”.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The Sacrament of Reconciliation is not intended for “Spiritual Direction”.
[/quote]

I didn’t say it was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.