Could Purgatory and Limbo be the same thing?

If they are both only a state of being and not a literal place, could they be the same?

If an infant dies without baptism they die with the stain of original sin. Would they need to be “purified” from this sin before entering heaven?

Does the Church teach that Limbo is an eternal “place” outside of heaven and hell?

No. Not according to the specific beliefs concerning them.

“Limbo”: Not a dogma of the faith.

Defined(?) as “LIMBUS INFANTIUM” and has been recently addressed in the document “THE HOPE OF SALVATION FOR INFANTS WHO DIE WITHOUT BEING BAPTISED

Purgatory: Is a dogma of the faith.

Defined and taught in the Catechism in Here, (be sure to read the context to understand it properly.) and supported by scripture here and here.

There’s a big difference.

Thanks for the links.

Reading through them, I still haven’t seemed to find the answer to the question as to whether or not Limbo is a place or a state of being and whether or not it is an eternal destination, or temporary like Purgatory…maybe I looked over it though??? It is quite confusing…

Perhaps you have missed my point then. :confused:

The Limbo of the fathers is accepted as Catholic teaching and was temporary until the resurrection of Christ.

The Limbus Infantium is not and has never been a dogma of the faith and so far as doctrinal beliefs go…does not exist at all.

Purgatory is a reality expressed in Biblical Catholic and Jewish teachings and is (to answer your point) a temporary state for those already having been judged worthy of heaven.

I hope that helps…

Yes, that does help. Thank you. So, as of now, there is NO definitive teaching as to what happens to unbaptized infants who have died?

Correct. Barring an ex cathedra statement from the Pope there is likely not going to be one either.

Chuck

Limbo would be a permenant state of deprivation of the beatific vision, but without the pains and torments due to actual sin.

Purgatory is not a pemenant state–they are completely different.

Purgatorial cleansing of original sin wouldn’t make sense. Purgatory does not infuse sanctifying grace because you need to be in the state of grace to go through purgation in the first place. If God were to grant infants saving grace extra-sacramentally, they would completely bypass Purgatory.

I wouldn’t say that Stephanie.

THE HOPE OF SALVATION FOR INFANTS WHO DIE WITHOUT BEING BAPTISED seems pretty concise to me as well as the catechism teaching on this.

[size=]1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

I think that that is about as Biblical, Catholic, and compassionate an answer as any honest person can give.[/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.