Could someone explain to me this passage:D?

I was reading 2 Chronicles 18 and I really don’t understand this passage:confused: I have a New American Bible that usually has a lot of explanatory material at the bottom. Usually a passage that is unusual will have a *. At the bottom they will explain it, but… There doesn’t seem to be an explanation for this chapter.

I don’t have much time to explain the story so you may have to read it yourself:D
My question is, why would God let a lying spirit deceive His own prophets so that only 1 prophet (Micaiah) knew the truth?
Thanks all for your help.
God bless.

Ahab was the worst king Israel ever had. He worshiped the false god Baal and his prophets were not prophets of God but prophets of Baal. That is why they were deceived.

Ahab didn’t want correction. The truth set them in opposition to the king and the political environment of Israel at the time. They preferred a lie over truth so as to remain in king Ahab’s favor. Micaiah was the only one with the guts to oppose the powers that be.

[quote=Oumashta;I was reading 2 Chronicles 18 and I really don’t understand this passage:confused: There doesn’t seem to be an explanation for this chapter.
[/QUOTE]

[4] And Jehosh’aphat said to the king of Israel, “Inquire first for the word of the LORD.” Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, four hundred men, and said to them, “Shall we go to battle against Ramoth-gilead, or shall I forbear?” And they said, “Go up; for God will give it into the hand of the king.” [6] But Jehosh’aphat said, “Is there not here another prophet of the LORD of whom we may inquire?”** [7]** And the king of Israel said to Jehosh’aphat, “There is yet one man by whom we may inquire of the LORD, Micai’ah the son of Imlah; but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me, but always evil.” And Jehosh’aphat said, “Let not the king say so.”

[10] And Zedeki’ah the son of Chena’anah made for himself horns of iron, and said, “Thus says the LORD, `With these you shall push the Syrians until they are destroyed.’”

13] But Micai’ah said, “As the LORD lives, what my God says, that I will speak.”

[16] And he said, “I saw all Israel scattered upon the mountains, as sheep that have no shepherd; and the LORD said, `These have no master; let each return to his home in peace.’” And the king of Israel said to Jehosh’aphat, “Did I not tell you that he would not prophesy good concerning me, but evil?”

[18] And Micai’ah said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and on his left; and the LORD said, Who will entice Ahab the king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at moth-gilead?' And one said one thing, and another said another. Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, I will entice him.’ And the LORD said to him, By what means?' And he said, I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, `You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go forth and do so.’

[22] Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of these your prophets; the LORD has spoken evil concerning you."

[28] So the king of Israel and Jehosh’aphat the king of Judah went up to Ramoth-gilead.
And the king of Israel said to Jehosh’aphat, “I will disguise myself and go into battle, but you wear your robes.” And the king of Israel disguised himself; and they went into battle. Now the king of Syria had commanded the captains of his chariots, [30] “Fight with neither small nor great, but only with the king of Israel.” And when the captains of the chariots saw Jehosh’aphat, they said, “It is the king of Israel.” So they turned to fight against him; and Jehosh’aphat cried out, and the LORD helped him. God drew them away from him, for when the captains of the chariots saw that it was not the king of Israel, they turned back from pursuing him. [33] But a certain man drew his bow at a venture, and struck the king of Israel between the scale armor and the breastplate; therefore he said to the driver of his chariot, “Turn about, and carry me out of the battle, for I am wounded.” [34] And the battle grew hot that day, and the king of Israel propped himself up in his chariot facing the Syrians until evening; then at sunset he died.

v. 4 The 400 are false pagan prophets
v. 6 Jehosh’aphat was inspired by the Holy Spirit to inquire of a TRUE prophet
v. 7 The kings “hates the truth” hates God who does not agree with him [PRIDE]
v. 10 They make for themselves false gods
v. 18 As JUST punishment God permit’s the pagan prophets to do what they do naturally; lie if necessary to appease the king and keep there position. It is Satan not God putting out the false message; v. 22 God simply permits it.
v. 30 God inspires the opposing King to seek ONLY to kill the [evil] king of Israel
v. 31 God protects the others
v. 33,34 The Evil Pride-filled king is justly slain. God’s Justice is accomplished.

[/quote]

Laudetur Iesus Christus.

Nothing happens, no one speaks, without God permitting it. False prophets are very common. God allows them to test and support our freedom. There are many who claim to speak for “God,” for “truth,” for “science,” or for “reason,” but who oppose the Church, God’s voice in the world and society. There are even those who clothe themselves in the garb of the Church herself, but speak falsely, from *their *hearts and not from Christ’s.

I suggest that this episode between the prophets and Ahab is included in the Scripture, in part, as a forewarning that such things are constant challenges to those who presume to judge rather than submit to and understand what they hear from God through the Church who speaks for Him (cf. Luke 10:16).

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner

OHH! I get it now! Thanks all you!
God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.