Could someone help please

I am going to have my two daughters (2 and 4 years old) baptized hopefully withing next couple of months. I have several questions.

Im in scotland

1. Can i use same godparents for joint baptism? Can it be 1 male and 1 female godparent?
  2. Does the baptism have to happen evety ladt sunday of month or would my priest be able to do it any sunday
  3. Im not catholic although i want to join this faith, would this be a problem? My husband is an r catholic and my daughter attends a rc nursery
  4. I want to start attending Mass, would this be wrong since im not a catholic?

Thankyou very much in advance

Hi no probs with joint Godparents surely, any Sunday is fine this is from a traditional Catholic from the Philippines and USA, you may attend mass no probs my mate is a Baptist and goes for the familys sake might be worth speaking to your Parish priest to be lenient in making you a new member, Good Luckj any questions please feel free and Happy Christening"!!

Thankyou so much for your speedy reply. I have always been nervous about attending mass, as a non catholic. I will attend tomorrow morning and discuss issues about baptism with priest. I also want to find out about my local catholic convertion courses.

Thankyou again :):slight_smile:

no worries God Bless

1. Can i use same godparents for joint baptism? Can it be 1 male and 1 female godparent?
    As said: yes.

2. Does the baptism have to happen evety ladt sunday of month or would my priest be able to do it any sunday
    This is dependent on the parish where you are getting it done. Some pastors can have some clear vision of certain ways things need to happen that may make it harder you to work with. Bottom line is: check with the priest.

3. Im not catholic although i want to join this faith, would this be a problem? My husband is an r catholic and my daughter attends a rc nursery
    Again you need to talk with the priest about this. Most I have encountered would have no problem with this, but we are turning more conservative. The new priest where I am makes parents go to Baptism classes and would have you in RCIA (adult Catholic school) in a heartbeat.

4. I want to start attending Mass, would this be wrong since im not a catholic?
    Nothing wrong with this in the least. Just don’t get communion. You should talk to the priest about this.

Greetings and welcome! Congratulations on the upcoming Baptisms and welcome to the young ones to the Family!

1. Yes. You may have the same godparents for each of the two girls. 1 male and 1 female is correct. The godparents must be practicing Catholic in good standing, over the age of 16, and have received the sacrament of Confirmation (been Confirmed). If one of them is not Catholic, s/he may be a witness (not a godparent).
    1b. In my Diocese in the USA, the parents and godparents must attend one or several Baptism preparation class/es, depending on what the Pastor requires.

2. Baptisms are arranged with the Pastor/Priest. At my parish we do not have Baptisms during Lent.

3. Not a problem at all. The Baptism class might be a “way in” for you to find out about RCIA. Your husband will be the one asked most of the questions – if any. Many Pastors and Priests see this as an opportunity to bring people closer to Our Lord. Priests simply want to try to make sure that the child/ren will be raised in the Faith. That is because of the promises made at Baptism.

4. You are most welcome to attend Mass. Simply refrain from receiving Holy Communion. Some of my non-Catholic friends feel rejected by this. However, it is not a rejection. It is simply something that is so . . [inexplicable], that we must prepare for and be as “worthy” (in state of grace) as we can be. Not all Catholics may receive either.

If you do decide to join the Faith, depending on how it is worked out at your Parish, you may be able to Receive (have Communion) as a family with your husband and daughters on their First Holy Communion. This is an event to which to look forward.

I hope this helped a little.

Congratulations and welcome! I will keep you in my prayers.

Luz Maria

Thankyou all for your replies

I spoke to my priest at mass yesterday. The girls are being baptized on easter sunday.

I am enrolling in my local rcia course in september. Very excited for this.

Thankyou all again

Peace be with you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.