Could someone pick a vocation?

Okay, so lets say a person would be sucessful whether they chose to be married, single, or to religious life. If this was the case, could they chose their vocation. I know most people would disagree, but i have a hard time with the idea that a person could chose a vocation.

I'm Sure, there are people who aren't right for a certain vocation, but what about people who feel they are called to each of the vocations, but don't know which is better. Or what if somebody has never found out their vocation and made a choice to be married or join the priesthood.

This has been bugging me lately because I have a hard time knowing what my vocation is. I feel called to marriage, but it seems impossible to be able to achieve that for me (i'll spare my whole list of issues). Also, sometimes I still feel attracted to single life or the priesthood. Unfortunately, I haven't recieved an answer. Sometimes I wish God would just tell me. You know, give me the most obvious sign, like a message in a dream or spell it out in the sky. Anything. I just wish I knew.

[quote="benjammin, post:1, topic:299278"]
Okay, so lets say a person would be sucessful whether they chose to be married, single, or to religious life. If this was the case, could they chose their vocation. I know most people would disagree, but i have a hard time with the idea that a person could chose a vocation.

I'm Sure, there are people who aren't right for a certain vocation, but what about people who feel they are called to each of the vocations, but don't know which is better. Or what if somebody has never found out their vocation and made a choice to be married or join the priesthood.

This has been bugging me lately because I have a hard time knowing what my vocation is. I feel called to marriage, but it seems impossible to be able to achieve that for me (i'll spare my whole list of issues). Also, sometimes I still feel attracted to single life or the priesthood. Unfortunately, I haven't recieved an answer. Sometimes I wish God would just tell me. You know, give me the most obvious sign, like a message in a dream or spell it out in the sky. Anything. I just wish I knew.

[/quote]

Spend more time in prayer at Adoration. Let the silence of the Lord guide you. You'll know what that means when it happens :thumbsup:

[quote="benjammin, post:1, topic:299278"]

[/quote]

It's not about where one would be successful, it's about where one is called. God has a specific vocation in mind for each of us. We can only chose whether to follow His will or not. Our vocation is the place where God knows we will be happiest and most fulfilled and best serving Him - whatever vocation that may be.

The Lord will give you an answer in time. Perhaps now is simply not the right time - maybe you are not ready to hear whatever it might be. Being attracted to different vocations is good, it is good to see the beauty in all vocations. Also take time to think about the different vocations and see if there is anything you are being closed to - learn to be totally open to wherever He may lead you.

And remember that if the Lord is calling you to a specific vocation then He will make the way possible for you.

Here is my one worry though, what if there never is a good time? What about if God waits until i'm in my 50's or 60's, or worse, never tells me even if I try to listen. Could this happen?

[quote="benjammin, post:4, topic:299278"]
Here is my one worry though, what if there never is a good time? What about if God waits until i'm in my 50's or 60's, or worse, never tells me even if I try to listen. Could this happen?

[/quote]

If you are trying to listen and being open to Him, He will tell you. Some receive their vocation later in life, and there is nothing wrong with that. Trust that God has a plan for you and that He knows much better than you what is best!

A religious or priestly vocation is an invitation, not a command.
If one has the qualities and attraction to religious or priestly life, then to my mind, one should seriously consider either the religious or diocesan priesthood. However the presence of qualities for and attration to (gifts of God) are still not a Divine command, rather God's invitation.
If we fail to choose the invitation extended by The Lord, He will not abandon the person, but will continue to sanctify in whatever vocation one chooses. That said, an invitation from God is not to be considered lightly. It is a wonderful matter for serious consideration.
As long as a person is not clear about their vocation, it is not the time to make the decision for their vocation in life. It is a time to pray about and to seek spiritual direction on the matter of vocation.
Pope Benedict recommends spiritual direction for lay people also, not only for priests and religious zenit.org/article-26880?l=english Any lay person who intends to take their baptism and The Gospel seriously and for their whole life, whether single or married, and for one only, should seek a spiritual director.

I have always been taught two things. 1. Do N O T choose the religious life simply because of bad luck with women. 2. If you feel drawn to the religious life and if there is nothing stopping you, go and see! You will never learn what your religious vocation is for as long as you are living in your parents basement, not even from praying in Church every day. It is a life that must be tried before you can know for sure!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.