Could somone help me with this please?

Jesus called himself the son of God and was also called the son of God by both angels and demons.

He did not, the people after him claimed that he was the son of God.

And when God says: O Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say to mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside God? he says: Be glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right. If I used to say it, then You know it. You know what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Your mind. You, only You, are the Knower of Things Hidden. I spoke to them only what You commanded me, (saying): Worship God, my Lord and your Lord. I was a witness of them while I lived among them, (5:116-118)

I am a little confused on this…is this a corect statement?

It was made by a muslim…somone please help me out here?

[quote=godsent]Jesus called himself the son of God and was also called the son of God by both angels and demons.

And when God says: O Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say to mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside God? he says: Be glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right. If I used to say it, then You know it. You know what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Your mind. You, only You, are the Knower of Things Hidden. I spoke to them only what You commanded me, (saying): Worship God, my Lord and your Lord. I was a witness of them while I lived among them, (5:116-118)

[/quote]

While Muslims would certainly believe the words of the Qu’ran in this matter, it is not true that Jesus never referred to himself as the Son of God. Generally, he referred to himself as the Son of God in the third person, which is the title of the Messiah. Being both fully human and fully divine, Jesus humbled himself and spoke first and foremost as the Son of Man come to do the Father’s will. Only after his resurrection, especially in Revelation, does he use a title denoting his divinity when he called himself the Alpha and the Omega. But, he told the disciples that he and the Father are one and that having seen him they had seen the Father, so he wasn’t ambiguous about his divinity with them. His use of a title or lack of that use doesn’t at all mean that he thought himself merely a human being.

[quote=godsent]Jesus called himself the son of God and was also called the son of God by both angels and demons.

[/quote]

Mark 14:61-62 says:

But he was silent and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him and said to him, “**Are you the Messiah, the son of the Blessed One?” **Then Jesus answered, “I am; and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power and coming with the clouds of heaven.”

I think this answers your friend’s false claim sufficiently.

"Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ" - St. Jerome

To quote the one above…when jesus says"I AM"…now i correct in thinking that jesus never actually said"I AM"…but he would say"you say i am"…but never actually saying it himself?

In my bible it states that he says"you say i am".

But also in the passion of the christ movie it quotes"I AM"…when im sure thats not scriptually accurate?

[quote=godsent]To quote the one above…when jesus says"I AM"…now i correct in thinking that jesus never actually said"I AM"…but he would say"you say i am"…but never actually saying it himself?

In my bible it states that he says"you say i am".

But also in the passion of the christ movie it quotes"I AM"…when im sure thats not scriptually accurate?
[/quote]

They both mean the same thing. You are fretting about semantics here not substance. Do you really think the Church that gave the NT to the world doesn’t know what it says? I don’t ask to be sarcastic but to jog your common sense. :wink:

John 8:52-59, “At this the Jews exclaimed,‘Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?’ Jesus replied, ‘If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.’ ‘You are not yet fifty years old,’ the Jews said to him, ‘and you have seen Abraham!’ ‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!” At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 10:29-33, “My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.’ Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, ‘I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?’ ‘We are not stoning you for any of these,’ replied the Jews, 'but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” If you continue to read on through verse 39, you see that Jesus doesn’t correct their perception that He was claiming deity – He reiterates His claim.

John 18:4-6, “Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, ‘Who is it you want?’ ‘Jesus of Nazareth,’ they replied. ‘I am he,’ Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said 'I am he, ’ they drew back and fell to the ground.”

John 20:27-29, "Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.’ Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!’ Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

John 1:29-30, “The next day John [the Baptist] saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’” Jesus was born after John the Baptist, but John says Jesus was “before” him --pointing to Jesus’ pre-existence before His birth, His deity.

Thanks, Joan, for posting those. I was going to post the first of your quotes.

Notice that the Jews sure seem to think that Jesus is saying that He is God when He says, 'before Abraham was born, I am!" “I AM” is a huge claim, and all Jews would have recognized that as God’s answer to Moses when Moses asked for God’s name. Because of the claim that Jesus makes, they are ready to stone Him.

John 10:30-35, and I think John 5:18.

Muslims are simply wrong as is the Koran.

Muslims think on the physical level concerning sonship.

answering-islam.org/Gilchrist/Vol2/8b.html
answering-islam.org.uk/Hahn/son.html

here is a couple of links on explaining Son of God to muslims.

Its really amazing how a few passages from the holy bible can reaally strethgen somones faith…thank you and god bless you!:amen:

[quote=godsent]Its really amazing how a few passages from the holy bible can reaally strethgen somones faith…thank you and god bless you!:amen:
[/quote]

But, MY bible says, "Blessed are the ‘pure of heart’ . . . ."
JUST kidding! http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Glad to be of help!

God bless,
Elvisman

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome

[quote=elvisman]But, MY bible says, "Blessed are the ‘pure of heart’ . . . ."
JUST kidding! http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Glad to be of help!

God bless,
Elvisman

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome
[/quote]

I don’t get it?

I have to wonder why you are willing to accept a passage of the Quran as inspired by God? Think that through…

“He who brings peace to the world will be called the son of god”

Im guessing this verse isnt in the KJV, but it is in the ASV version. And Jesus meant anyone who brings peace will be called the son.

[quote=drbo.org] Matthew 1,20 But while he thought on these things, behold the angel of the Lord appeared to him in his sleep, saying: Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her, is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name JESUS. For he shall save his people from their sins.
Matthew 1,23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Matthew 3,17 And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Matthew 8,29 And behold they cried out, saying: What have we to do with thee, Jesus Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
Matthew 11,27 All things are delivered to me by my Father. And no one knoweth the Son, but the Father: neither doth any one know the Father, but the Son, and he to whom it shall please the Son to reveal him.
Matthew 14,33 And they that were in the boat came and adored him, saying: Indeed thou art the Son of God.
Matthew 16,16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God.
Matthew 17,5 And as he was yet speaking, behold a bright cloud overshadowed them. And lo, a voice out of the cloud, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: hear ye him…
[/quote]

And this is just the first book of the NT, should we go thru the rest? We are all brothers of Jesus and by adoption sons of God.

In my post above this is what I meant to write:

“Those who bring peace to the world will be called the sons of god”

Mt 5,9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called children of God.

Another passage is the story of the woman at the well. Jesus said “If you knew to whom it is you are speaking, you would ask and I would give you living water”.

“Living water” is a reference to the waters of the mikveh (the ritual baths), which were considered by the Jews to be given directly from the hand of God for the cleansing of sin. Jesus’ claim to be able to provide them was a claim to deity.

Thanks for posting that Tom.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]I don’t get it?
[/quote]

It was a humorous message meant for godsent.
That’s all . . . . no need to be overly-analytical . . .

"Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ" - St. Jerome

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.