Could this be classified as sin of scandal?

Catechism states:

2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. the person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor’s tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

So here’s the situation, I want to get a mohawk, and I understand that there will probably be people who would possibly judge me, or think ill of me, am I committing the sin of scandal by leading others to think of bad thoughts about me? I understand there are many of you who are rather conservative, so if I could please ask you not to state your opinions if possible.

Wearing a mohawk isn’t a sin, nor is it giving an indication of condoning a sin.

If your Mohawk causes people to deny doctrines of
faith and leave the church then yes it would be
a scandal.
But as far as I know the catechism is silent on haircuts.
Buzz away!

I think your over thinking yourself, and about me, know body cares what type of haircut you get, after all “Actions speak louder than words or haircuts”.

Enjoy - and walk with the Lord

P.S. I am in the Legion of Mary and there is this guy in the group who I would describe as a bit of punk looking guy, but one cannot judge , he is very holy, religious, in the Legion of Mary but has a punk hairstyle the rest of us don’t pay any attention his lifestyle is what counts- He Loves the Lord.

Are you going to get an actual, real, spiky mohawk that fans out above your head and the rest of your head is shaved? That’s cool. :thumbsup:

If you’re going to get one of those “mohawks” where your hair is really short all around but a little longer on top in the mohawk location, then that’s not cool and it is a sin.

I think it was on the catholic encyclopaedia that scandal was doing something evil or apparently evil looking to make other people to sin.

under normal situations, getting a mohawk is not evil, nor does it looks like, and it is not made with the intention of leading others to sin, so it is not scandal, and it’s their fault if they think bad stuff about you.

actually if you think about it, we should not speak of Christ never because some people would blaspheme if what you said were scandal.

If this were 1977, when the only people with mohawks were those who were glorying in violence, malice, drug use & profanity, and you deliberately went into mass with a mohawk, then you might’ve been in the same position as priests who were doing things at mass – like lighting and smoking a pipe casually after consecration of the Host, or dressing like a clown, etc. - that might’ve been scandalous. If you deliberately affected a metrosexual appearance today in order to discomfit your family or friends or pastor, that might be considered giving scandal.

you are joking correct? hard to tell on here.

Surely it was a joke. If not, I found it very funny :smiley:

^
Yep, that’s about as simple as it gets.

There are always going to be people who judge. Sometimes we cannot be held accountable for the judgment of others, especially when we have done nothing wrong.

Absolutely joking, man. Absolutely joking. And, for what it’s worth, I with I had a) enough hair to even consider the idea, and b) the chutzpah to actually do it. Back in the day, I kind of admired the guys who could pull off the look.

There are many things people do that would not be classified as sinful, but are only stupid.

This is good to post the catechism definition of scandal - i did not know this was it. Good to know!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.