Could you be saved under the Old Law in OT?

Please help me put this together.

What I do not understand is how the old law saved anyone? I understand that God had a system set up for them and that because of their rebelliousness he had to use these laws to teach them that they needed a new heart and that they were not sufficient to keep the laws without help. What I do not understand is whether or not the old law with its system of sacrifices was able to save anyone in the way that we can be saved now? What was the outcome of all the sacrifices and following the system set up in Exodus and then Deuteronomy. How were they saved in the OT? It is my understanding that the people that lived prior to Jesus went to hell regardless or at the very least a place called limbo where they had to wait for the resurrection to take place so that the final sacrifice of Jesus could be applied to them. Is that correct? I just don’t really understand how the OT system saved anyone.

[quote=ConvertFromSBC]Please help me put this together.

What I do not understand is how the old law saved anyone? I understand that God had a system set up for them and that because of their rebelliousness he had to use these laws to teach them that they needed a new heart and that they were not sufficient to keep the laws without help. What I do not understand is whether or not the old law with its system of sacrifices was able to save anyone in the way that we can be saved now? What was the outcome of all the sacrifices and following the system set up in Exodus and then Deuteronomy. How were they saved in the OT? It is my understanding that the people that lived prior to Jesus went to hell regardless or at the very least a place called limbo where they had to wait for the resurrection to take place so that the final sacrifice of Jesus could be applied to them. Is that correct? I just don’t really understand how the OT system saved anyone.
[/quote]

The Old Covenant didn’t save anyone, it just preserved them from eternal damnation. Only Jesus’ shed blood saves anyone. That is why Scripture tells us he went to preach to the spirits in prison after His death, to lead them from the “Limbo of the Fathers (also called Abraham’s Bosom)” into heaven.

Mt 5:17 “17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.” (KJV)

The OT was a covenant with Gods people. Jesus fullfilled that covenant. Today we are under the covenant Jesus fullfilled for us. I do not look at the OT as one covenant and the NT as another. I veiw them both as one. God did not change, He just fullfilled the old covenant and now we have Jesus, our personnal Lord and saviour.

I know the Jews believed in Paradise, the place Jesus went after His death and before He ascended into Heaven. Jesus went to paradise to preach to the souls of the old covenat to give them a chance at salvation. After all, NOBODY is “saved” untill Jesus judges them. So this brings up another question, can we still be “saved” after we die? What rational soul would be in paradise/limbo and then not accept Jesus when He came to preach to them? Uhmm?:hmmm: Major food for thought. Who in heaven would be stupid enough to know our God and then say he’d rather be condemned for all eternity? Why? The fallen angels DID loose their salvation? Salvation was taken away from them even though they KNEW Jesus (we don’t need Faith or Hope in Heaven, just Love/Charity)? Too many questions, I must stop.:confused:

ConvertFrom SBC, you have posed a good question. I did not answer it by any means. I just added my “opinion” on the subject. It is a good question you asked. Glad to see you here. Praise God!

[quote=Apologia100]The Old Covenant didn’t save anyone, it just preserved them from eternal damnation. Only Jesus’ shed blood saves anyone. That is why Scripture tells us he went to preach to the spirits in prison after His death, to lead them from the “Limbo of the Fathers (also called Abraham’s Bosom)” into heaven.
[/quote]

Where can I find something on this that specifically states that the Old Covenant did not save anyone but instead just preserved them. Can you point me in the direction of something that proves this?

Also there are certain people who made it to heaven under the OT system like Abraham I think and Ezekiel maybe? If even one person made it under the OT system then they made it without Jesus right? I thought they ALL had to wait until Jesus sacrifice on the cross could be applied to them.

Dear ConvertfromSBC:

The salvific mission of Christ on the cross is not confined to time and space as we know it. In Revelations 13:8, we read that “the lamb was slain from the foundation of the world.” Although we don’t read about the crucifixion of Christ in the first few chapters of Genesis, this does not mean that the salvific work of Jesus was not already a reality in some sense. Elijah was taken to heaven in a chariot, yet we know from the Letter to the Hebrews that nothing in the Old Covenant saves man (see in part Heb. 9:15). Whatever salvation Elijah or any of the other Patriarchs experienced, then, was through the shed blood of Jesus.

However, I don’t think we can fairly assume that Abraham or Elijah had the “beatific vision”. Some theologians have talked about “Abraham’s Bosom” as being that place of Limbo for the patriarchs.

In Jesus and Mary
Fiat

So then would you say that people from the Old Testament system COULD attain salvation? That it was given to them on credit so to speak knowing Jesus would pay it later?

Dear ConvertfromSBC:

You ask a really good question…you may want to post it with one of the apologists…

God Bless
Fiat

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.