Could you help me select a Bible? I know, I know . .

AMDG

First of all, yes, I have been looking through the forum.

My daughter will be confirmed soon. She's 13 but will be 14 at that time. She has studied Latin for all of her formal education (since 1st) and reads it pretty well. She's justl finishing her first year of Classical Greek. We are native English speakers/readers.

Also, importantly, she loves Sacred Scripture.

Regarding her Confirmation, I've been thinking of getting her a Bible with the English, Latin, and Greek presented side by side on each page -- often referred to as interlinear but when I search, interlinear seems to mean Hebrew, et al.

We do have an excellent Latin Bible that I got after looking here for recommendations.

So, these are my questions:
Is there an excellent Bible with Latin, Greek, English text presented side by side?
If not, would it be better to get separate Bibles to get the best versions?
What do you suggest?

I do truly appreciate any help!

Catholicmum

The "side by side" format is more properly called a "parallel" edition. That might help your search.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely you would find a complete Bible that is parallel between all three languages (or four, including Hebrew (OT) and Aramaic (NT) for the last column).

I ran a search for a parallel Septuagint (OT only - at least some include the deuterocanonicals - aka "apocrypha") and found a few entries. There are plenty of Greek parallel New Testaments to augment this. There are also parallel English/Vulgate editions out there.

You'll likely require at least three volumes to meet all your desires here. Perhaps between you, her sponsor and godparents (if they are not the same as her confirmation sponsor) and other relatives, you can arrange for all of these as separate gifts.

HTH

Since she is a teen, instead of giving her something that is really academic, why don't you get her something fun such as a Catholic teen bible. I gave this one to my friend's son last year and it was pretty good.

Prove It! Catholic Teen Bible-NABRE [Paperback]
Amy Welborn (Editor)

amazon.ca/Prove-Catholic-Teen-Bible-NABRE-Welborn/dp/159276195X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367346849&sr=8-1&keywords=catholic+teen+bible

Or if you want a good investment, consider the Harper Collins, study Bible.
Harpercollins Study Bible - Student Edition: Fully Revised & Updated [Paperback]
Harold W Attridge (Author)

amazon.ca/Harpercollins-Study-Bible-Student-Revised/dp/0060786841/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367347100&sr=1-1&keywords=harper+collins+study+bible

It is available both in hardcover and in paperback.

I have been using it for a both personal reading plus a great deal of academic reading. I am working on my master's of theological studies and my department uses that bible for all of it's theological courses.

It would be a great gift if you purchases both. You could also provide her with a bible cover to protect it as well. They are available both online plus at most Christian bookstores. If you brought the bible with you, I'm sure the christian bookstore will be more than happy to help you find the right one.

Hope this helps,

SG

Welcome to CAF and congratulations on a fine daughter! One option might be to get her an Amazon Kindle (I would suggest a Kindle Paperwhite rather than a Kindle Fire to avoid possible eye strain) and then explore this page:

Kindle Store : Veritatis Splendor Publications.

The polyglot New Testament volumes there contain Latin, English and Greek together.

[quote="Catholicmum, post:1, topic:324822"]
AMDG

First of all, yes, I have been looking through the forum.

My daughter will be confirmed soon. She's 13 but will be 14 at that time. She has studied Latin for all of her formal education (since 1st) and reads it pretty well. She's justl finishing her first year of Classical Greek. We are native English speakers/readers.

Regarding her Confirmation, I've been thinking of getting her a Bible with the English, Latin, and Greek presented side by side on each page -- often referred to as interlinear but when I search, interlinear seems to mean Hebrew, et al.

We do have an excellent Latin Bible that I got after looking here for recommendations.

Is there an excellent Bible with Latin, Greek, English text presented side by side?
If not, would it be better to get separate Bibles to get the best versions?
What do you suggest?

I do truly appreciate any help!

Catholicmum

[/quote]

The latin vulgate and douay rheims side by side with the glossa ordinaria and haydock
and all of the cross references, maps, images, built in. Just click on the flags
credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/dot.vot/48/1/0

Add greek to the parallel
credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/dot.vot.got/48/1/0

You can go the settings button to change what translations you want to see.

As for physical books with parallel, i like this one:
baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

Enjoy!

[quote="irenaeuslyons, post:5, topic:324822"]
The latin vulgate and douay rheims side by side with the glossa ordinaria and haydock
and all of the cross references, maps, images, built in. Just click on the flags
credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/dot.vot/48/1/0

Add greek to the parallel
credobiblestudy.com/roman/en/dot.vot.got/48/1/0

You can go the settings button to change what translations you want to see.

As for physical books with parallel, i like this one:
baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=50#tab=tab-1

Enjoy!

[/quote]

What you are looking for is a little hard to find, but it is available.

[LIST]
]Bagster's *Polyglot Bible (see the last paragraph here) has English, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, German, Italian, Spanish, and French, and has appendices with the Syraic New Testament and the Samaritan Pentateuch, as well as many Greek variants. You can expect to pay several thousand dollars for a used set.
[/LIST]
Things get much easier (and cheaper) if you will settle for two out of three languages:

[LIST]
]The Greek-Latin New Testament* would likely be perfect for your daughter.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]There are several different Latin-English Bibles available (let me know if you have any trouble finding them; here is one).
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]There are a wide variety of Greek-English New Testament available (again, let me know if you have any trouble finding them; here is one.)
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]For Greek-English Septuagints, the pickings are more limited, but at least there is Brenton's edition.
[/LIST]

An entire Bible printed, is a bit difficult to arrange, but possible.
The best Edition of the Septuagint is Göttingen. It was on sale on the International Septuagint Day (47% off). It's very expensive.
The second best academic Septuagint is: logos.com/product/17840/septuaginta-sesb-edition-with-apparatus-and-alternate-texts
The newest Edition of the Greek New Testament is Nestle-Aland 28th Edition. The differences compared to earlier Editions (both Nestle-Aland and UBS) are in the General Epistles. This is available in both accordancebible.com and logos.com.
Logos is freeware. Accordance costs minimum $50, and You could possibly get a 10% student discount.
Both Logos and Accordance have some Edition, not the newest and best, of the Vulgate. The best Edition of the Vulgate is Biblia Sacra iuxta vulgatum versionem. 5th ed. Edited by Robert Weber, Roger Gryson et al. Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2007.

Both Logos and Accordance lets You link Bibles in different languages, so that it becomes a parallel Bible when You scroll, and You can print to Your printer.
You can then go to a bookbinder with the bunch of letter papers and let them bind them in covers. The entire Bible would be several volumes of course.

Here are my recommendations for English Bible versions: accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9479&p=43735
... REB is Revised English Bible and is soon available in Logos, it's on a sale. It's of course also in Logos. Jerusalem Bible is not available in either Bible study software. NETS stands for New English Translation of the Septuagint and is available only in Accordance (and as printed matter of course), You can try it out for free on their official homepage. NASU stands for the 1995 New American Standard Bible Updated. (NET is yet another Bible version.)

Comprehensive New Testament is available as printed matter and as the Comprehensive Bible in Accordance, with or without the apparatus and cross-references, the apparatus covers only the New Testament and is useful for correcting old English Bible versions, and the cross-references go to texts outside the Bible. It's easy to use.

A free decent parallel English-Greek whole Bible is also: katapi.org.uk/katapiNSBunix/master.html?http://www.katapi.org.uk/katapiNSBunix/Versions/versionsTextByBC.php?version=KNSB&B=301&C=1&Cv=4
... The katapi NEW STUDY BIBLE is from 2012 and a very light revision of the RSV, it only changes the language to modern (dialogues in the RSV were in old English).
... from the drop-down menu You can select the Old Testament in Greek.

In case You are interested, there is a thread about commentaries: Practical Commentary on Scripture ... new posts are welcome!:

[quote="Catholicmum, post:1, topic:324822"]
My daughter will be confirmed soon. She's 13 but will be 14 at that time. She has studied Latin for all of her formal education (since 1st) and reads it pretty well. She's justl finishing her first year of Classical Greek. We are native English speakers/readers

[/quote]

The original poster wants a confirmation gift for his daughter. I'm not sure why so many people are mentioning web sites.

Also, he is explicitly looking for polyglot (multiple-language) Bibles -- especially a Greek-Latin-English triglot (three-language) Bible. I'm not sure why people are recommending monoglot (single-language) Bibles.

[quote="Bible_Reader, post:9, topic:324822"]
The original poster wants a confirmation gift for his daughter. I'm not sure why so many people are mentioning web sites.

Also, he is explicitly looking for polyglot (multiple-language) Bibles -- especially a Greek-Latin-English triglot (three-language) Bible. I'm not sure why people are recommending monoglot (single-language) Bibles.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, nobody is familiar with such a triglot edition. If you are, you should present it. If not, why complain about people who are recommending the best alternatives they can think of? The OP did ask for suggestions. That opens the possibility for alternatives.

[quote="SonCatcher, post:10, topic:324822"]
Unfortunately, nobody is familiar with such a triglot edition. If you are, you should present it.

[/quote]

I did: Bagster's Polyglot Bible.

I did mention one Bible that can only be found at a website, but what I meant was that it can be printed to the printer. I mentioned it because it's free and decent, so that people will not think that I only suggest expensive ones.
And I thought I was clear, I meant that a Greek-Latin-English parallel Bible can be printed from the Bible study softwares I mentioned to a printer, and then bound in covers. The reason why I mentioned multiple English Bible versions, is that You can select different Bible versions for different passages, and then the Bible study software automatically switches between those versions as You scroll, so it's easy to print that to the printer. In Logos it's called prioritizing. I'm unsure what it's called in Accordance since I've only recently got Accordance and I have the previous version of the software running on an emulator as I'm a Windows user. Accordance is currently programming a native Windows version which will be released at the end of the year, perhaps earlier.
But both Bible study softwares have active user forums, and especially Accordance has a very helpful and skilled customer service, so all questions can be asked. Logos customer service is open 6 a.m.–6 p.m. PST, Monday–Saturday.
Btw I forgot to mention: if all of the Deuterocanonicals are needed, it's best to print the remainder of them from NETS:

[quote="Bible_Reader, post:9, topic:324822"]
I'm not sure why so many people are mentioning web sites?

Also, he is explicitly looking for polyglot (multiple-language) Bibles -- especially a Greek-Latin-English triglot (three-language) Bible. I'm not sure why people are recommending monoglot (single-language) Bibles?

[/quote]

[quote="Bible_Reader, post:11, topic:324822"]
I did: Bagster's Polyglot Bible.

[/quote]

Sorry, you are correct. I should have qualified my statement. There doesn't seem to be such a version that is both in print and affordable.

Why not find a Catholic translation where the words speak to her heart rather than presenting it as an intellectual read?

I collected a few bible translations & the best ones are where Jesus words move me in simple English.

Peace+

[quote="FrancisBenedict, post:14, topic:324822"]
Why not find a Catholic translation where the words speak to her heart rather than presenting it as an intellectual read?

I collected a few bible translations & the best ones are where Jesus words move me in simple English.

Peace+

[/quote]

If she is fluent in Greek, then the Greek NT, as the original Inspired text, is most apt to speak directly to the heart. This because the full depth of meaning is contained in the original text.

It also seems like these would meet her needs (although they may not be as fancy as the OP desires):

amazon.com/Catholic-Parallel-New-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1480089532/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-New-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1480095214/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-New-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1480101028/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-New-Testament-Polyglot/dp/148014455X/

amazon.com/Parallel-Interlinear-New-Testament-Polyglot/dp/0615537898/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1482350580/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/148235697X/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1482370484/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1482396483/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1482609835/

amazon.com/Catholic-Interlinear-Old-Testament-Polyglot/dp/1482668696/

[quote="Bible_Reader, post:16, topic:324822"]
It also seems like these would meet her needs (although they may not be as fancy as the OP desires)...

[/quote]

I'm glad to have been demonstrated wrong in this case. :)

OP, It may be a good idea to start with the Gospels only for a multi-volume set, just to see how well the idea takes with her. If she can't seem to get enough, bring in the other volumes, one at a time (perhaps on the anniversary of her Confirmation).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.