Couple arguing during Eucharist

An elderly couple started arguing during the consecration and kept it up until they stood up to receive communion. I was very uncomfortable. It seems disrespectful of the priest and Jesus.

:shrug: It is disrespectful to argue during the Mass. However, do your best to not let it impact you. Focus your heart and mind on Christ instead.

Try your best to ignore such things; that's why we need Jesus for we are all sinners.

[quote="Elizabeth_John, post:1, topic:334638"]
An elderly couple started arguing during the consecration and kept it up until they stood up to receive communion. I was very uncomfortable. It seems disrespectful of the priest and Jesus.

[/quote]

If you notice something like this, you can offer a prayer for the people and then refocus on Mass.

We don't need to decide that they were being disrespectful. Its possible he said, "Pay attention, Honey." She said, "What?" He said, "I told you to wear your hearing aid." etc.

Thanks for your replies. I did say a prayer for them, but am going to have to work on the refocusing part. I found it very distracting.

[quote="Elizabeth_John, post:5, topic:334638"]
Thanks for your replies. I did say a prayer for them, but am going to have to work on the refocusing part. I found it very distracting.

[/quote]

Oh dear, I know what you mean. Focusing can be much easier said than done. :)

Just out of curiosity, were they actually yelling at one another? Or were they kind of whisper-yelling?

It’s an elderly couple, come on :o I am sure the Lord knows their hearts and is very patient - more than you and I would ever be!

I think this calls for compassion...it might even be possible that one has demetia

[quote="Elizabeth_John, post:5, topic:334638"]

[/quote]

When I hear extra noise in Mass, I try not to even allow my head to turn towards the sound. I don't want the person to feel they have caused a problem which can make them feel worse.

Being a mom, I've learned not to allow the sounds of others to cause me problems.

For my own children, I learn how to make the best of Mass since my focus today is helping my younger son to be able to remain in Mass. Plus, to be the least disruptive to others as possible.

What I would not have allowed with my other children, I allow with my son who has issues on the autism spectrum - making sure we make as little noise as possible and leave as needed.

We are a community of worshipers when we are at Mass. The elderly couple who seemed to be arguing, the child who drops his toys, the family who comes in late, the quiet couple, the person who sings off key and prays off rhythm, the child with issues on the autism spectrum who seems to have behavior of a younger child..... we are people who came together for the purpose of Mass.

Ask God for "focus" and to not be distracted.

[quote="R_C, post:7, topic:334638"]
It's an elderly couple, come on :o I am sure the Lord knows their hearts and is very patient - more than you and I would ever be!

[/quote]

As my husband and I age, I've noticed we sometimes start to talk louder with each other, mainly because our hearing is not what it used to be. I may say something and he will say "What?" and then I will repeat it, louder, and soon it looks like we are arguing. We're not--we are just trying to hear each other better.

And yes, we are going to have our hearing checked, but at the price of hearing aids, I'm not sure who is going to get theirs first. :o

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:10, topic:334638"]
As my husband and I age, I've noticed we sometimes start to talk louder with each other, mainly because our hearing is not what it used to be. I may say something and he will say "What?" and then I will repeat it, louder, and soon it looks like we are arguing. We're not--we are just trying to hear each other better.

And yes, we are going to have our hearing checked, but at the price of hearing aids, I'm not sure who is going to get theirs first. :o

[/quote]

We are starting to have the same issue; we yell a lot, but not because we are angry - only to try to hear each other. (Rock & Roll generation - they warned us this would happen, didn't they? :o )

[quote="jmcrae, post:11, topic:334638"]
We are starting to have the same issue; we yell a lot, but not because we are angry - only to try to hear each other. (Rock & Roll generation - they warned us this would happen, didn't they? :o )

[/quote]

I used to think my daughter was being rude and mouthy because she raised her voice a lot when talking. Turned out she had a severe hearing loss in her left ear--she underwent several surgeries to rebuild her eardrum to no avail. Finally she got a hearing aid for that ear--$2400 for one and insurance does not pay for them.

Medicare or Part B do not pay for hearing aids, so I imagine there are a lot of elderly people who cannot afford them and are going around talking loudly and being misinterpreted as being angry or rude. I used to think "Why don't they get hearing aids?" until I found out the price of them. How many can afford that?

This. There could be any number of health problems going on with the couple.

If it is not a habit, overlook it. If it happens repeatedly and you can’t move far enough to get away from the racket, you can tell them that they may be louder than they think, but that it bothers you when they do that. They may be hard of hearing and don’t realize.

Of course, if they are that loud and that habitual, you can ask the priest if he’d please talk to them about it, because he has to hear them, too. Still, if it is not habitual, I’d just overlook it. It may be that they’d be a lot worse to each other if they weren’t going to Mass, after all!

People will do what people do. What'cha gonna do? :shrug:

[quote="NewEnglandPriest, post:15, topic:334638"]
People will do what people do. What'cha gonna do? :shrug:

[/quote]

Yes. Very often, "the cure" turns out worse than the malady would have been if just left alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.