Couple lets daugher die while they raise virtual baby on-line

this is on foxnews so I assume it is not a hoax
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588005,00.html
this Korean couple spent all their time in an internet cafe obsessed with an on-line game where you raise a virtual baby avatar, and meanwhile their own baby starved to death alone in their apartment

tragic

More and more you need to ask yourself, "Is this a serious story?" More and more, you tragically say, "Yes."

God help them. And I mean that in all seriousness.

:eek::eek:This is just not right! What kind of people can seriously think that a game is more important than their baby??!

[quote="Art321, post:4, topic:189360"]
:eek::eek:This is just not right! What kind of people can seriously think that a game is more important than their baby??!

[/quote]

This is the third story I've heard about deaths caused by video game addictions, and all three took place in South Korea.

Here are the other two:

arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2005/06/547.ars
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165296,00.html

Check out this article, Video Gaming in South Korea: A National Obsession, it helps explain the culture of gaming in South Korea.

As fun as video games are, they would rather take the adventure of some virtual world over the adventure of raising a child!?

Raising up a child should make video gaming look lifeless and bland in comparison.

In case you're all wondering, I'm a gamer too. :(

Back when I was addicted to Final Fantasy XI online (I would play all weekend and on weeknights up to midnight), I knew a husband/wife couple with small children who were often neglected. These two (leaders of my linkshell - a sort of guild) would play just as much as me but would occasionally go off keyboard to quiet the kids or feed them. They eventually quit the game because as they said, “the house is a disaster, the kids are growing up without their parents, and we can’t remember the last time we sat down together to eat as a family.”

2 months later they were back in the game and eventually moved on to World of Warcraft for their next fix. I was almost as bad as them, but finally quit online games for good. Video game addictions (*especially *online games) are real.

And I thought the Japanese man who married a girl in a video game was bad…

[quote="Art321, post:4, topic:189360"]

[/quote]

Well, it WAS in Korea after all... :blush:

I enjoy playing fps a lot. But i guess my low attention span stops me from playing for too long. But i understand this is becoming a big problem amongst the gaming community
I watched this you tube clip the other day.
it is a clip about one mans gaming addiction and what that addiction cost him. Its a animation and i think very cleverly done.
youtube.com/watch?v=YKBRG_QgEAM&

[quote="exoflare, post:9, topic:189360"]
Well, it WAS in Korea after all... :blush:

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but that is still NO EXCUSE! It makes me angry that this type of stuff even happens!:mad:

why such a massively misplaced enthusiasim for video games in the place of family life and what not? :confused:

I mean, I know that most of korea is NOT like this... but still.

[quote="Art321, post:11, topic:189360"]
I'm sorry, but that is still NO EXCUSE! It makes me angry that this type of stuff even happens!:mad:

[/quote]

wow chill out.. I didn't say it was an excuse

That's messed up. Gaming addicts are bad. Thankfully my boyfriend can keep his WoW in moderation.

[quote="Art321, post:11, topic:189360"]

[/quote]

I think what he's trying to say is that Korea's the one country that's quite known for such. It gives gamers a bad name to be honest and it personally offends me that people use it as a reason to quit playing.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:15, topic:189360"]
I think what he's trying to say is that Korea's the one country that's quite known for such. It gives gamers a bad name to be honest and it personally offends me that people use it as a reason to quit playing.

[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you. :thumbsup:

People should use whatever issue alerts them to their own danger as a reason to quit any bad habit. If the excesses of some in S Korea are a wake up call to another couple (an example was given on this thread), then they should follow it.

There are many things that are OK in moderation, but dangerous to those susceptible to addiction. Drinking alcohol comes to mind. If the dangers of alcoholics in Russia, say, help someone in Australia to kick a bad habit, than no one should be offended by that.

Even if you don’t see another person’s habits as dangerous, we each have our own thresholds. No one is required to game (or drink or many other things), so any reason given for quitting is acceptable and shouldn’t be questioned by another.

My apologies if I offended you. I didn’t mean to do such a thing.

that's okay

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.