Couple of questions regarding Apologetics series

I am sure many of you have used the *Beginning Apologetics Series *(link below). I was wondering how long it would take to get through the series? I am brainstorming for a class perhaps during lent and wondered if a book a week would be too much and not cover the material well in a group setting. What are your thoughts.

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0400.html?L+scstore+lvmy4576fffa7afa+1131656977

Thanks Eric

I think a book a week is a bit ambitious for a group setting. I just completed an 8 week class with book 1. We covered about a section a week. The classes lasted 1-1/2 hours depending on the level of discussion.

We will be starting up again in Lent. I think the next session will be on the Liturgy and the Liturgical Year.

I enjoyed the class. I thought the book gave a great overview. Don’t forget to get the handy-handy laminated Bible verse reference sheet!

I used those same books to teach a class last year. My thought was that certain books required more time than others. The one on the Eucharist I think I spent 4 classes on. The year before that we spent the entire year on book One, the one explaining basic Catholic doctrine. It just depends on how much time you haev and which areas you want to focus on. I would not rush through them though, they are filled with wonderful insights!

[quote=EricCKS]I am sure many of you have used the *Beginning Apologetics Series *
[/quote]

(link below). I was wondering how long it would take to get through the series? I am brainstorming for a class perhaps during lent and wondered if a book a week would be too much and not cover the material well in a group setting. What are your thoughts.

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0400.html?L+scstore+lvmy4576fffa7afa+1131656977

Thanks EricJust use book 1 and be sure that they are aware of the rest of the series in order to get into the topics in more depth. The discussions will be what slows you down…I personally studied each book in about an hour a night for a week.

I did mine with a ruler, pencil, pen, and a couple of hiliters. Then, later on, I went back and topically tabbed the pages. Three of the booklets stay right here by the comp with me (among other things). Numbers 1, 6, and 7.
Pax vobiscum,

My wife and I led a group using the first book of the series last summer. To do it justice, you need at least 12 weeks–and that’s if you compress the last sections of miscellaneous questions into one or two classes, or fold them into other related chapters.

You didn’t mention it, but we also used the study guide that is available. It has lots of good questions, plus Scripture and patristics references.

The format we used was the following: Each session was two hours. The previous week to each chapter, I would pass out the questions that we would be using the following week, and some supplementary materials as appropriate.

The first week I gave a general overview of apologetics: it’s goals, strengths, and limitations. I explained to them the format of the class, and what resources they’d need; a Bible, a Catechism, and the study guide.

Each week, after an opening prayer, we’d start with an hour of introduction to the subject and offer some information that wasn’t in the book, but we felt needed to be explained. We’d then recommend some books or other resources for further info. After a break, we’d go over the questions and, time permitting, have a little Q & A. We’d close in prayer and pass out next week’s questions.

Everyone seemed to get a lot out of it. Some people were very enthusiastic and said they’d take the whole course again if we offered it. We even had one person decide to enter the Church and enter RCIA because of what he learned in the class. Overall it was very rewarding, and I believe God used it to bless, not only those who attended, but those to whom they would go on to share their faith with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.