couple of questions

I have a couple of questions that I would like cleared up so I can understand things better.

First in the book of Mark chapter 8 verse 33 can someone explain this to me. I know he is not calling peter satan literally but what does it mean exactly?

Also is Christ using reverse psychology on the people? Everytime he heals someone and commands them not to speak of it they go and tell everyone. Is he doing this on purpose knowing they will anyways? I wouldn’t think they would have wanted to disobey him especially after the miracles he was performing on them and for them.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it. You all know by now that I do not know much about the bible and things but it never fails, everytime I start reading it I have to blink away tears just to see the pages. Its just a feeling of happiness that comes over me.

BP

Jesus means that the words spoken by Peter express Satan’s thought. Satan did not want the redemption of mankind; he wants us to reject God’s will; etc.

Also is Christ using reverse psychology on the people? Everytime he heals someone and commands them not to speak of it they go and tell everyone. Is he doing this on purpose knowing they will anyways? I wouldn’t think they would have wanted to disobey him especially after the miracles he was performing on them and for them.

I don’t think it’s reverse psychology. Jesus speaks truthfully; He does not seek notoriety. He requests silence. Perhaps they originally intend to be obedient, but it appears their excitement and joy carry the day, and they fail to hold their tongue.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it. You all know by now that I do not know much about the bible and things but it never fails, everytime I start reading it I have to blink away tears just to see the pages. Its just a feeling of happiness that comes over me.

BP

Awesome. It’s a wonderful gift God is giving you.

Nita

You should listen to this talk by Bishop Fulton Sheen, “The Demonic Today.” The demonic is the temptation away from the cross of Christ and redemption. Peter accepted Christ’s divinity, but wanted to bypass the Passion. The essence of the demonic is the anti-cross.

You can download his talk from this site:
catholicaudio.blogspot.com/search/label/SPEAKER%3A%20Fulton%20Sheen

You also might want to look at this website which is a compilation of commentaries of the Early Church Fathers on the Gospels.
catecheticsonline.com/CatenaAurea.php

That is excellent. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.