Couple urged surrogate to abort fetus due to defect

When a B.C. couple discovered that the fetus their surrogate mother was carrying was likely to be born with Down syndrome, they wanted an abortion. The surrogate, however, was determined to take the pregnancy to term, sparking a disagreement that has raised thorny questions about the increasingly common arrangements.

Read more:

Now this couple who wanted kids so badly that they went the route of surrogacy do not want kids badly enough to want a downs syndrome baby. To compound matters they are willing to force another woman to have an abortion.

Gotta love this quote:
“The baby that’s being carried is their baby. It’s usually their genetic offspring,” she said. “Why should the intended parents be forced to raise a child they didn’t want? It’s not fair.”

They wanted children but now that it is not the kid they wanted they are being forced.

"Fair?" How about robbing this child a chance at life? :(

And there are couples lined up to adopt Down Syndrome babies, so there is still no excuse for abortion... even if this couple is too selfish to raise their own son or daughter.

Gotta love abortion activists.

"It's the women's body and therefor her choice!"

"It's the parents offspring so they should have control over the womens choice of what to do with her body!"

It is almost like when you try to justify slaying a child you have to abandon your sensibilities.

Yes when you try to play GOD it gets messy. If they really wanted children they should have just adopted. :smiley:

Are you the guy who posted this in the other forum? Hm, well either way, I have heard stories of woman who chose abortion because they were told their baby was going to have downs-syndrome. Turns out that the women ended up dieing due to hemorrhage in the uterus and also, the fetus apparently never actually had downs-syndrome either. =/

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:5, topic:215241"]
Are you the guy who posted this in the other forum? Hm, well either way, I have heard stories of woman who chose abortion because they were told their baby was going to have downs-syndrome. Turns out that the women ended up dieing due to hemorrhage in the uterus and also, the fetus apparently never actually had downs-syndrome either. =/

[/quote]

I'm actually a girl, but no I only posted it here.

Anyway, I have heard that certain babies diagnosed pre-birth are born perfectly fine, the "chance of" diagnosis is just that a chance it could be true and also a chance it could be false.

Another point is that these people supposedly wanted kids so much they went with a surrogate but they didn't want kids enough to accept whatever they are blessed with. They were willing to force this woman to abort (which she will have to live with) their child.

“The child is seen by the commissioning parents as a product, and in this case a substandard product because of a genetic condition,” Prof. Baylis said.

Wow. :mad:
I've always heard that unnatural fertility treatments such as IVF and surrogacy turn babies into commodities, but hearing it is still shocking. This is a human being we're talking about here.

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:7, topic:215241"]
Wow. :mad:
I've always heard that unnatural fertility treatments such as IVF and surrogacy turn babies into commodities, but hearing it is still shocking. This is a human being we're talking about here.

[/quote]

"If a dispute still arises, however, parents ought to be protected," Well according to that quote the parents are the only important factors not this woman they are forcing to have an abortion or their child that they are killing if it is "defective"

“They were certainly quite shocked,” he said. “Obviously, [the parents] had come on a long journey before commissioning the surrogacy, [but] all they were thinking about was success.”

What is success???

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.