Court clears way for Ariz. dreamers to get licenses

The U.S. Supreme Court today denied Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer’s request for a stay of an appeals’ court ruling, clearing the way immigrants brought to the state illegally as children, or “dreamers”, to get driver’s licenses.

It still could be several more days before more than 22,000 young immigrants granted work permits through President Obama’s 2012 program will be able to apply for driver’s licenses in Arizona.

Last week, Brewer asked Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy for a delay after being turned down two days earlier by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

There are plenty of fully documented US citizens who can’t get drivers’ licenses. There are also plenty of ways for documented foreign residents to get drivers’ licenses.

I’d say we should get them on the road first.

I agree. :thumbsup:

I have a feeling this is going to lead to alot of identity thefts and/or illegal immigrants who are actually criminals from their country, but the US will not be able to find any of this out, and once they have a legit driver license, their ‘new identity’ will be set in stone for them. lol

Plus, I HIGHLY doubt ANY car insurance company will issue policies on someone here illegally, even if they have a DL, as this would be extremely risky to them, or the coverage would be sooo expensive, people will just not buy coverage for whatever they are driving.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.