Court gives Santeria priest OK to sacrifice goats

A federal appeals court reversed a lower court’s ruling on Friday that barred a Santeria priest from sacrificing goats in his Texas home, saying a city’s decision to prohibit the ritual violated the man’s religious rights.

Jose Merced, 46, accuses the city of Euless, Texas, of trampling on his constitutional right to religious exercise. The city claims the sacrifices jeopardize public health and violate its slaughterhouse and animal cruelty ordinances.

Merced asked the city for a permit to slaughter animals at his home but was told the practice was prohibited. He said he hasn’t been able to initiate any new priests in the past three years.

Euless attorneys have said the ordinances outlawing animal sacrifices were passed before Merced’s arrival in 1990 and don’t discriminate against any individual or group. McKamie also said Merced isn’t equipped to handle many animals on his property or dispose of them in a sanitary way.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090801/ap_on_re_us/us_suburban_sacrifices;_ylt=AmL0ShesOfcWDchMieD40XdvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTJyOGJ1bmgyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwODAxL3VzX3N1YnVyYmFuX3NhY3JpZmljZXMEcG9zAzcEc2VjA3luX2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNjb3VydGdpdmVzc2E-

Is there a real hygiene/sanitation issue with the killing of a goat?

where are the animal rights activists?

this morning i read on the drudge report at www.drudgereport.com about horse slaughters in miami. so many people live in the area who have come from countries where eating horse meat is part of their normal diet and they go out into the agricultural areas and find horses and kill them for their meat. they have not been able to arrest anyone yet.

so if the judge in texas says it is okay to sacrifice a goat for a religious ceremony,
will slaughtering of horses also be allowed next so that people can eat horse meat?

i guess they allow the muslims in our country to sacrifice goats during their religious holidays, but i don’t like the idea. i don’t believe in using living things (animals or humans) for sacrifices in religious ceremonies.

Freedom of religious exercise in the USA has to extend to those religions we don’t agree with.

Otherwise, our own religious rites and rights as Christians are threatened.

And with those pop-evangelicals who are so fascinated with the Jewish Temple (and especially its rebuilding), what do they think went on there? Cantatas and revivals? It was basically a glorified slaughterhouse.

i was thinking of the same thing tonight. all of the animals that were sacrificed for the day of atonement. every year. i don’t know if that was the only holiday that animals were sacrificed, but i have heard that if the third temple is built, animal sacrifices would be renewed.

i wish we could have freedom of religion, minus animal sacrifice.

Santeria (noun)
An African-based religion similar to voodoo, originating in Cuba and Brazil, which combines the worship of traditional Yoruban deities with the worship of Roman Catholic saints.

While I definitely don’t agree with this religion, I can only pray that they would see the light and stop worshiping our saints and instead venerate them and ask for their prayers. And while I vehemently disagree with a religion such as this, they still deserve to have equal rights as Santeria priests and such. If this nation doesn’t allow religious freedom for one group, they can just as easily deny it for us Catholics and Orthodox members of America.

St. Michael the Archangel, defender in battle, be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou oh prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into Hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen. :crossrc:

yes, i would like them to see the light and do away with animal sacrifices.

i am not sure which other religions do animal sacrifices except for islam.
in the movies, they usually show animals being sacrificed in the worship of Satan.
so what does not allowing animal sacrifice in Santeria have to do with denying Catholics and Orthodox? what would they deny? there is no animal sacrifice in catholicism.

Yes, I know that. But constitutionally they could deny us because Santeria, I believe, is a federally recognized religion. So basically, if they can deny the Santeria priests their religious freedom, they might see no reason why they couldn’t deny us our religious freedom. Do you see what I am getting at? I’m trying to explain it in the best way possible.

But like I said, I do not agree with their religion at all! In fact, I hate the fact that such religions as Satanism exist in this nation. But, what can one do? :shrug:

well, it must be federally recognized if the judge has ruled in favor of this priest.

i just think it is setting a bad precedent. what other animals are sacrificed in santeria other than goats and chickens?

i don’t like the religion of santeria either. i wonder why it is federally recognized.

I have no idea. But you can find a Wikipedia article on Santeria here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santeria

wow, i was reading some notes at the bottom and it says that the song Babalu that ricky richardo sang on I Love Lucy was an homage to the orisha babalu aye. ricky richardo of course was desi arnaz. i used to love when he sang that song. now i see it has to do with santeria. desi arnaz was from cuba.

i can’t believe people actually believe in santeria. it is all nonsense.

So, I guess if someone want to revive and/or practice a religion that has/had human sacrifice (i.e. the one in Aztec culture), we must allow it?

Yes, it is a extreme, but highly possible, scenario given the plagues of Relativism and Liberalism rampant today.

Well…the same can be said about Catholicism from someone else’s point of view.

A Puerto Rican friend of mine told me that the African slaves continued to worship their Yoruba deities by “hiding” them under the guise of Catholic saints when the religion was forced on them. Then over time it led to the combination of worship of saints and deities. A lot of the African indigenous religions today are similar to santeria (except the saint part, of course)…

that is the point that i was trying to make. where do you draw the line as you say with relativism and liberalism rampant today?

i disagree with the judge’s decision.

I’m not so sure that Peregrinus’ comparison is a good one. Freedom of religion is a right under the US Constitution, but murder isn’t. And state courts have already ruled that a person can not be voluntary victim of assault, much less homicide.

But murder is allowed. It is called Abortion and Euthanasia.

I said that on another thread in relation to a law center and was called ‘anti-Catholic’.:confused:

No. Remember the snake handlers were constitutionally restricted?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.