Court grants sterilisation order for disabled 11 yr old girl

abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/09/2840565.htm

Since she was born, Angela - whose parents married in South America and came to Australia in 1991 - has had epileptic seizures, but they are now under control through medication.

However, while the epilepsy is controlled, seizures can occur when she has a heavy menstrual period, which have been happening since she was nine years old.

Family Court judge Paul Cronin found that the performance of a hysterectomy was “in the child’s best interests”.

Sterilization isn’t necessarily evil if it is done for a serious medical reason (as opposed to contraceptive reasons)

when she has a heavy menstrual period? so they are sterilizing her for life?????

not just medicating her cycle?

dear God, every time i think the Nazi analogy is too harsh.....

I agree with you, and had those questions myself- It just seems so harsh, a full blown hysterectomy?? On an 11 year old? For something she only occasionally experiences? Granted they are worse, or directly related to her menstration, was there no medicine to regulate that? Dont they give girls the pill ((I know contraceptives like the pill are against catholic teaching but if they gave her a hysterecomy they sterilized her for life-the pill would be, IMO, a much better option that wouldnt have such lasting effects)) so they only have periods so often and it regulates - idk I dont want to say too much without knowing what I'm talking about, but it just seems to me that there had to have been an alternative....something not so drastic. Is this condition something that cant possibly improve over time?

I ask because I dont know...To me, from where I'm sitting- looking at my young daughter, this would be, unfathomable. Was there NO hope for her future??

If this girl were likely to grow up and be able to marry and have children I would be completely opposed to sterilization. But in this case, where the child will likely be infant-like for her entire life, the hysterectomy seems like a reasonable solution for the problem described BUT... is the menstruation itself what is causing her seizures? Or is it the hormonal changes that accompany a woman's cycle? Are they doing an oophorectomy as well as a hysterectomy? What impact will that have on her physical development? If they don't do an oophorectomy will they be solving the problem?

I see the moral dilemma, but I can't help thinking that this sweet little girl doesn't deserve to go through menstruation without the accompanying ability to grow up, marry, and have children. Additionally, sexual abuse has been known to occur to mentally-handicapped women who have no control over their surroundings. What happens if she gets pregnant, and she with the mind of a small child?
If this was my daughter, I know that I would also pursue this line of action, if only for her safety and comfort.

[quote=OP article]Angela’s disorder makes her profoundly disabled and unable to talk or use sign language.

The court, sitting in Brisbane, heard Angela acted in a similar way to a three-month-old baby.
[/quote]

It’s not like this is an otherwise normal person who’s ever going to be capable of having children. Doubtless the hysterectomy was in the best interests of this girl, and it wasn’t just as simple as prescribing the pill to her.

Yes, the condition doesn’t ever improve. It’s pretty rare, but you can get a little more info about the underlying condition (Rett’s Syndrome) here: Rett’s Syndrome Info. Amongst other things, there’s no reliable data for life expectancy past 40.

It sounds like a very unfortunate but equally necessary decision to make for this particular girl.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.