Court of Appeals rules 'Choose Life' license plate law unconstitutional

RICHMOND, VA (KTRK) – The U.S. Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that a North Carolina law that would have allowed the production of a “Choose Life” license plate, but not an opposing viewpoint plate, is unconstitutional.

ABC11 reports that lawmakers approved the plates in 2011 and rejected several proposals to also offer plates with the messages “Trust Women” and “Respect Choice.”

A U.S. District Judge later ruled that the anti-abortion plate is unconstitutional, and the state was prohibited from manufacturing the plates while the case was pending, prompting an appeal.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=9428647

29 states still have Choose Life license plates and they have raised millions of dollars that go to pregnancy resource centers

choose-life.org/newsletter.php

I’m confused. Is it that nobody has stepped forward to offer a pro-choice plate or are they not allowing the opposing viewpoint at all? I’m not sure why they would require a pro-choice plate anyway. It’s not a religious or partisan political view. Again, I’m :confused:

ETA: DOH!! I just read that they rejected pro-choice plates in the past. Why were they rejected I wonder?

Just to clarify, the appeals court (and the district court, too) did not rule that the license plate itself was unconstitutional. However, the courts struck down the law authorizing it because the state legislature refused to offer a license plate with a different viewpoint.

Quoting from the news article:

*The U.S. Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that a North Carolina law that would have allowed the production of a “Choose Life” license plate, but not an opposing viewpoint plate, is unconstitutional.

ABC11 reports that lawmakers approved the plates in 2011 and rejected several proposals to also offer plates with the messages “Trust Women” and “Respect Choice.”*

If I remember correctly, the North Carolina law specified which charity would be sent the money raised by the sale of the plate. That charity has a pro-life point of view, hence the a plate to benefit a pro-choice viewpoint was desired by some. However, the legislature repeatedly refused to approve such a plate.

I respect the choice to choose life.

Here in WA, there are plates for Navy, Army, AF, MC, CG, etc veterans. What about the opposing viewpoint? Shouldn’t the state be required to provide an anti-military option?

Or the “Save Wildlife” plates here in WA. Why not require a “Hunter’s Delight” plate?

It’s ridiculous that the court thinks there must be opposing views on abortion, but not on other issues that invoke equally impassioned disagreement.

I guess no one asked for a “choose death” plate.

Three plates which promote game management are available. They feature either a bear or an elk or a deer. The funds raised for those plates will be used to benefit hunting.
wdfw.wa.gov/license_plates/wildlife.html

BTW, a “Choose Life” plate is currently under consideration.
dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcreatenew.html

Has been since in the works since I think 2008. Yet the state keeps issuing a “moratorium” on specialty license plates. And it has been extended to 2015. It is now to the point where specialty plates may only be created by acts of the legislature (see RCW 46.18.060).

And they have created new plates, as recently as Jan 2013. Yet the Choose Life apparently hasn’t made the cut. And with the folk in Olympia, I’m not surprised. And I’m not surprised they are prohibiting the department of licensing from doing this administratively. If they did, they’d have to give equal access to all folk. By keeping it in legislative hands, they can suppress the Choose Life plates.

Why not give the Court the two plates; one “Choose Life”, and the other" Choose Death"?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.