Court Orders Rehiring of 2 Brooklyn Teachers in Misconduct Case

nytimes.com/2014/03/22/nyregion/court-orders-city-to-rehire-teachers-in-misconduct-case.html?hpw&rref=education&_r=0

Better link this time and not an offensive thread title like the last one.

Honestly, I don’t see how firing is too severe. People have been fired for less in non-union environments.

Personally, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. They not only should have been fired but they should have had their teaching licenses permanently removed.

In my opinion the court was wrong.

Did anyone else notice that the blonde teacher had a more severe ruling than the brunette? There has to be a joke in there somewhere.

This is one more reason why I would help send my nieces and nephews to Catholic schools.

I would also send any children I ever have to a Catholic school. Either that or I would home school. I flat out do not trust public schools anymore although I was educated by a public school.

Here’s a post about the case from a law blog I subscribe to. The court’s ruling is based on statute and previous precedents.
The upshot is:

Note that the case rested on the New York civil service law, not on some broad constitutional principles — the court doesn’t deny that, if a state wanted to leave schools with the discretion to fire teachers for such behavior, it could; the court’s position is simply that New York law limits schools’ discretion on this point.

Dear legislature, please get on this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.