Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old

OTTAWA (AFP) — A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl’s grounding, overturning her father’s punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting “inappropriate” pictures of herself online using a friend’s computer.

The father’s lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl’s “own protection” and is appealing the ruling.

afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9kqGvkVPSvo-KNWFDWAg-mVfleg

In what alternate universe does a 12 year old know how to, and can afford a lawyer to, take their own parent to court? And what judicial system in its right mind would even hear such a case? What is this world coming to???

I assumed this was an article by The Onion… I was positive of it… I was wrong :frowning:

Unbelievable

Wouldn’t it be easier to take a bat to the computer?

It’s really a stupid decision, but I note that other jurists are saying so; this one will probably be overturned on appeal.

I see that the fact that the girl is living with her mother, who approved of the trip, impacted the decision, but it’s still stupid.

I have to add that my heart goes out to the girl, whose mother is enabling a very self-destructive behavior. She has a grim future if that’s how her parenting will go.

Makes our courts look sane. :rolleyes:

The Quebec Civil code is different from the law in the rest of Canada so I don’t think we’ll be seeing this kind of decision anywhere else.

Note that they speak of a 10-year custody battle. While the girl may be the ‘official’ complainant, I’d bet dollars to donuts that mom put her up to it.

Well come on, we’re waaayyy ahead of you when it comes to making gay marriage legal and having taxpayers fund abortion. :frowning: I can’t believe the case wasn’t dismissed from the start. Looks like the girl has been a pawn between her parents most of her life, and I think this is more about the fight between Mommy and Daddy than anything a 12-year -old cooked up.

Personally, I would have cancelled internet at my house, and bought a word processor, so the 12 yr.old could only write school papers on it. If she wants to use the internet, get a library card. When I didn’t want my kids on the internet, I had a switch in my room which shut off the phone line connection.

Yet another reason we will not be moving to Canada.

How DARE a court determine what kind of punishment a father can give his daughter? They’ve already begun to come down on us for spanking. What’s next? Banning time-outs? Outlawing the word “no”? :tsktsk:

If those moronic judges really want a country run by 12-year-old girls, then that’s what they’re going to get. :yup:

Wow. This is just absolutely ridiculous. That a 12 year old child can take their parent to court over something as silly as this is just plain ridiculous! :mad:

If there is any encouragement in this story, its from the UNANIMOUS condemnation of the Courts at the bottom of this link:

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080620/Quebec_appeal_080620/20080620?hub=Canada

Father needs to fill out all the paper work pursuant to turning the child over to protective services and bring it to court for the next hearing. If the court upholds the previous ruling, the father simply hands the daughter and the paper work to the judge. “You think you want to discipline the child, now you have free reign. She’s yours to raise in any way you see fit.”

Matthew

Don’t be too quick to criticize, as crazy as it is. We see pretty ridiculous rulings in this country too—way too many of them. Seems our country is not the only one where the judiciary makes its own rules.

No question about that! Believe me, if I could find a free, moral society on earth with good medical care and a job for my husband, we’d be there! Alas, we’ll just have to pray harder for the one we’re in. :wink:

This is a custody battle. The Mother didnt wat her grounded, the father did so they went to court. As in all custody battles everyone loses-the daughter loses most of all.

Well nothing surprises me about Québec. Unfortunately it is a dying culture, propped up by government programs and immigration. It is only a matter of time before it is dead entirely. High suicide rate, high abortion rate, low birth rate, compounding the problem. This is just another story to add to the many which shows Québec is living on borrowed time. Very sad for a once very Catholic people and culture. May God have mercy on them.

If Quebec dies, does that mean that the French Language Police have to commit suicide?

<><

Actually my husband has just said the same thing just before I read your quote. It seems parents are held responsible for the problems with youths in many western countries and yet hands are tied when they try to discipline. Why should a parent deny the whole family of the internet in order to stop one member? What an earth is happening in Canada? I wonder if the ruling judge would even bat an eye lid if this same girl continued to do what she had been grounded for, and ended up a victim to some pervert. How is the ruling protecting the child?

Sue

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.