Cousin put up anti-Pope blog link on FB

The "Humble" Pope

I would normally just unfriend him. He's anti-abortion but obviously also anti-Catholic. Most of my dad's side are Protestant, there are only a few Catholics among us, and those were converts from our parent's generation.

Anyway, help me refute this article. I am no apologist and do not want to confront him unless all my ducks are in a row.

Thanks so much.

If you look at the comments following the article, Catholic blogger Brandon Vogt has made a pretty lengthy rebuttal. I would start with that.

You could also state some of the good things that past Popes have done, why the papacy is not evil, what the Bible says about Peter the first Pope, and why we as Christians need a leader and adviser here on earth.

God bless!

Brandon Vogt just posted a repose on the article’s page. It’s right on. Here’s my stab at it:

“ . . .with one act of humility after another, Pope Francis has proven he’s willing to break with tradition. “ Um, humility is the calling card of our Founder, Jesus Christ! So of course, those acting in persona Christi act with the same humility.

“Like any of us, Pope Francis can only be humble—truly humble—if he first attributes to God “the supreme honor, praise, prerogatives, rights, privileges, worship, devotion, authority, submission, and obedience that He alone deserves.” To the best of my knowledge, this man’s entire life has been spend attributing glory, honor, praise, worship, devotion, submission and obedience to God.

“Yet Roman Catholic doctrine, and especially doctrine related to the papacy, steals from . . . “ Cite a source, please? “Steals” seems like a harsh and inappropriate word.
The Vicar of Christ

“The Pope claims to be Christ’s representative on earth, left here to rule the Church.” Then the author doesn’t understand that the Pope doesn’t “rule” but serve and love the Church as Christ did . . . .willing to lay down his life for Her . . . and he acts in persona Christi (as do all priests) by Christ’s own authority. This in no way “demeans” the Spirit. Does it “demean” the left hand when one writes with the right? Still, it’s not a question of “authority” as it is service.

The paragraph on “Infallibility” had me laughing at the irony! The line about “replacing the Holy Spirit of God with a structure of man’s making” – geesh! The Catholic Church was created by God but every Protestant Church was manmade. Of course, the Bible itself was compiled by none other than the Catholic Church so I find it funny that authors try to use it “against” us. They took it from us and deleted books! Anyway, as Catholics, we have a living Faith based not on a Book alone, but on a living God. Men were not the founders for us; God was and is. Papal infallibility is not the “capstone of the entire denial of sola scriptura.” Rather, it is the wisdom of the Holy Spirit to know that if God intended sola scriptura, it surely would have been spelled out someplace in the Bible!

The paragraph called “The Upholder of Doctrine” mentions the Protestors’ belief in faith alone. As the author believes in sola scriptura, surely he can cite a Biblical source for his belief in faith alone? No, he can’t – like sola scriptura, it is not in Scripture – the “handbook” he believes will answer all of his questions obviously comes up short. He also mentions “unbiblical doctrine that necessitated” the Protestant Revolt. That has been and is still being contested. Many believe it was not doctrine, but ego of those like Luther who started their own churches that caused the problem.

His Holiness Pope Francis, the Vicar of Christ, is rightly called by the titles we use. As a man who devoted his whole life to Christ thru vows of obedience and celibacy and work in the Church, I don’t understand how anyone can doubt his genuine love for God in his fellow man.

As an aside, I have a brother who is anti-Catholic, anti-life, and kinda radical. . . I can’t “unfriend” him without causing problems, so I changed it so I don’t get his posts in my daily feed. It helps a ton not to see the junk he spews.

My experience with these types of blogs is that the writers take a provocative stance knowing that not everyone will agree but not caring as they will make their outrageous claims for the fun of it. There are very few people who will read the lengthy, accurate responses and change their minds one way or the other. The misinformation in this is rubbish and I would unfriend anyone who posted this, family or not. The fact that they posted it knowing they were going to hurt and insult their Catholic FB friends and family tells you how little they will care whether you can refute this or not,

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:1, topic:323342"]
The "Humble" Pope

I would normally just unfriend him. He's anti-abortion but obviously also anti-Catholic. Most of my dad's side are Protestant, there are only a few Catholics among us, and those were converts from our parent's generation.

Anyway, help me refute this article. I am no apologist and do not want to confront him unless all my ducks are in a row.

Thanks so much.

[/quote]

Typical Protestant trype. Here is what I would say to him, " Your comments are typical of historical Protestantism, except for your rash judgment of Pope Francis. Apparantly you feel it is perfectly moral to sully the reputation of a man by rash judgment, thus leading others to form the same uncharitable opinion.

Your rash judgment rests on Protestantism's biased understanding of Papal authority. Christ appointed Peter to lead His Church and He promised the Holy Spirit would remain with the Church until the end of times - under the leadership of Peter and his successors. How you go from that to your uncharitable remarks of Pope Francis is hard to understand.

And need I remind you that without the Catholic Church, under the leadership of Peter, through whom the Holy Spirit speaks, there would be no Protestantism, nor would there be any Christian religion of any kind.

The Holy Spirit does indeed lead the Church, but He does it through Peter and his successor and the successors of the Apostles. "

Linus2nd

Thank you all for your replies! I purposely avoided reading the comments because I was afraid all I would see would be the "Whore of Babylon" types of insane statements.

The irony is that yesterday, he put up a video trailer from a book called "Sex and Money," by a Christian writer. I commented that it seemed like a good book. He has been posting statements about why the media has nothing to say about Gosnell's House of Horror abortion trial, as a contrast to the Sandy Hook shootings. I really didn't expect this from him.

:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.